ANC will pay at the polls for 'resisting' changes to alliance, warns Cosatu

BBSA

Honorary Master
Cosatu has cautioned the ANC to change its attitude on the proposed "reconfiguration" of the alliance spearheaded by the SACP, saying a failure to give in to demands would see the communists contesting for state power independently of the ANC.

Gauteng provincial secretary Dumisani Dakile, briefing the media at Cosatu House in Johannesburg on Monday, said the ANC "has no appetite" for the proposal - which the trade union and the communists find problematic.

Dakile said the Cosatu congress in 2018 resolved that should the ANC persist in "resisting" calls for the tripartite alliance to be reconfigured, the SACP should prepare itself to contest elections away from the ANC and with the backing of Cosatu.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/amp/pol...or-resisting-changes-to-alliance-warns-cosatu

ambroseg1

Executive Member
They will NEVER contest the elections. Because contesting the elections means their cushy government positions will be no more.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
The ANC are nailing it in the polls. Many people who used to vote ANC, then stopped, will be voting ANC again for what Ramaphosa is doing. I think COSATU as misjudging their power in this election.

krycor

Honorary Master
I think COSATU as misjudging their power in this election.
There is a reason why Ramaphosa and co are shitting bricks with to Eskom load shedding.. they could lose Gauteng and their base on the ANC becomes very rocky if they have an unconvincing win(less than Zuma albeit there is a decay in voting base in SA).

Combo that with clamp down on corruption (which is throwing their own under a bus) and it does not look good. I think the unions must be rubbing their gleeful hands as they know ruling party at its knees right now.. we just need a massive taxi strike right now and things get interesting haha

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
There is a reason why Ramaphosa and co are shitting bricks with to Eskom load shedding.. they could lose Gauteng and their base on the ANC becomes very rocky if they have an unconvincing win(less than Zuma albeit there is a decay in voting base in SA).
The ANC voting base is surging in this election cycle. If Ramaphosa continues doing the right thing, he might get my vote. I dont think this is as big a factor as it was in the past.

Bernie

Expert Member
Cosatu and SACP are not as powerful as they think they are, the ANC knows this. I would love for Cosatu and SACP to go it alone - but as others have said, this will never happen.

The ANC voting base is surging in this election cycle. If Ramaphosa continues doing the right thing, he might get my vote. I dont think this is as big a factor as it was in the past.
So you are loving the load shedding proudly brought to you by the ANC?

No wonder this country is in the state it is in.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I am not loving the load shedding problems. Thats a very silly statement.

I like to think Im politically mature enough to know the difference between Zumas administration and Ramaphosas.
If you are contemplating voting for the ANC based purely on Ramaphosa, then (even though I know you were heavily into politics at one time) I would question your political maturity. The ANC is a beast that is not just its figurehead, and the rot has set deep into the ANC and the government administration thanks to the ANC.