ANC's Andile Lungisa loses appeal over water jug attack on DA councillor

surface

Honorary Master
Parole after only 2 months?
by the book it seems.

He said Lungisa had also responded positively to rehabilitation programmes which led to him being placed on parole in line with Section 73(7)(a) of the Correctional Services Act.

“The Act determines the minimum period of sentence that must be served before consideration for possible parole placement. This must be read together with Section 276(1)(i) of the Criminal Procedure Act as it stipulates a mandatory one sixth of the sentence to be served before any consideration for parole.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Let's get one thing straight, he was convicted for two years, which bars him for ever holding public office unless he successfully appeals his sentence, right?

Reactions: air

itareaninotanl

Expert Member
Let's get one thing straight, he was convicted for two years, which bars him for ever holding public office unless he successfully appeals his sentence, right?
Next up, a successful appeal.

This is hucking forseshit from start to finish. He should be in jail for 2 years minimum for assault.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

I'm not actually sure, I think the parole changes that...

But even if the sentence bars him from holding public office, its only for 5 years I think.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

But even if the sentence bars him from holding public office, its only for 5 years I think.
It feels like Tony Yengeni has been out in the cold for much longer than 5 years.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Head of the Wits University Law School Professor David Unterhalter confirmed this, saying the fact that Yengeni had served only four months of his four-year sentence was irrelevant. His sentence exceeded the 12-month period.

That covers the part on parole, it does not affect anything. I am just not sure if this extends to all arms of government or just parliament and the provincial legislatures.

R13...

Honorary Master

He can't hold public office if the appeal on the sentence fails. It's still two years regardless of the jail break. Tony got the same and he too got the express service from the fine bureaucrats at corrections.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
He can't hold public office if the appeal on the sentence fails. It's still two years regardless of the jail break. Tony got the same and he too got the express service from the fine bureaucrats at corrections.
Ok cool, thats at least something vaguely positive.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Next up, a successful appeal.

This is hucking forseshit from start to finish. He should be in jail for 2 years minimum for assault.
I present to you a very successful appeal.

Thor

Honorary Master
Convicted felon Andile Lungisa to be released today. Correctional Services say he will serve the remainder of his sentence at home to “ease overcrowding” - this after on a couple of months of his 3 year sentence. Zilch to do with his political connections I’m sure!