ANC's call for MTN boycott not called for: confusion cleared up

Kgabogk

Expert Member
So many people are allowed to issue statements on behalf of the ANC, , this is what leads to many factional ANCs

House

Banned
So many people are allowed to issue statements on behalf of the ANC, , this is what leads to many factional ANCs

I was thinking the same when I saw this heading. Looks like everyone in the cANCer is free to make a statement on behalf of the organization and they will respond whenever the sh** hits the fan about any comment made.

House

Banned

I was thinking the same when I saw this heading. Looks like everyone in the cANCer is free to make a statement on behalf of the organization and they will respond whenever the sh** hits the fan about any comment made.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Paid for advertising space. Umm... Is this any different from the ANC "paying" the SABC for prime time spots during election times? Should we now boycott the SABC. (well that option has come and gone since they are so incredible ****e anyway - I pay my license since I don't want to go to jail or pay a fine, but I certainly don't watch that crap)

rpm

Admin
Staff member
From SAPA:

The ANC Gauteng is concerned about a campaign by the DA to put the party's logo on cellular airtime vouchers, it said on Tuesday.

"We have been informed that the Democratic Alliance is using airtime vouchers of MTN and Vodacom to promote its campaign," the African National Congress Gauteng said in a statement.

It said the party would talk to the companies about disassociating themselves with party political campaigns, which it considered ambush marketing.

Its members would have every right not to purchase the airtime from these companies.

The Sowetan reported on Tuesday that the DA had bought advertising space on MTN vouchers sold in spaza shops.

DA spokesman Mmusi Maimane reportedly said the vouchers, which also detailed the party's role in the liberation struggle, were part of the party's "know your DA" campaign.

"We are engaging consumers that buy airtime. We found that through MTN we will be able to reach everyone and inform them about our party," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

"We purchased the advertising space, and this has nothing to do with MTN. It does not mean MTN supports the DA," he said.

According to The Sowetan, MTN brand and communication general manager Ryan Gould distanced the company from the advertising.

"MTN is not aware of this advertisement, therefore the advertisement contained in the voucher in not sanctioned or endorsed by MTN SA," he was quoted as saying.

"MTN suspects that it is from distributors of airtime who purchase the airtime pin from MTN, but use their own paper to print, and as such sell advertising space to recoup the paper costs."

siraman

Expert Member
Yep!And how very silly of the ANC bully boys and it makes me wonder if they will ever accept defeat at the polls,we might laugh about it but personally it's worrying me.

Paid for advertising space. Umm... Is this any different from the ANC "paying" the SABC for prime time spots during election times?

And

MTN suspects that it is from distributors of airtime who purchase the airtime pin from MTN, but use their own paper to print, and as such sell advertising space to recoup the paper costs.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
From SAPA:

The ANC Gauteng is concerned about a campaign by the DA to put the party's logo on cellular airtime vouchers, it said on Tuesday.

"We have been informed that the Democratic Alliance is using airtime vouchers of MTN and Vodacom to promote its campaign," the African National Congress Gauteng said in a statement.

It said the party would talk to the companies about disassociating themselves with party political campaigns, which it considered ambush marketing.

Its members would have every right not to purchase the airtime from these companies.

The Sowetan reported on Tuesday that the DA had bought advertising space on MTN vouchers sold in spaza shops.

DA spokesman Mmusi Maimane reportedly said the vouchers, which also detailed the party's role in the liberation struggle, were part of the party's "know your DA" campaign.

"We are engaging consumers that buy airtime. We found that through MTN we will be able to reach everyone and inform them about our party," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

"We purchased the advertising space, and this has nothing to do with MTN. It does not mean MTN supports the DA," he said.

According to The Sowetan, MTN brand and communication general manager Ryan Gould distanced the company from the advertising.

"MTN is not aware of this advertisement, therefore the advertisement contained in the voucher in not sanctioned or endorsed by MTN SA," he was quoted as saying.

"MTN suspects that it is from distributors of airtime who purchase the airtime pin from MTN, but use their own paper to print, and as such sell advertising space to recoup the paper costs."

"Ambush advertising"? What about the ANCYL's tendency towards all out violence and civil unrest to promote their goals and the fact that the ANC proper just smiles from the sidelines. What about the Unions that are willing to attack the value of our currency for a few percent wage increase for miners? The sexist name calling by the ANC of any woman who stand in their way. The disregard the ANC has for minorities in general. Using the term "treason" to describe any action that opposes the ANC even though in a real democracy the state is by the people for the people and freedom of speech and action as long as it is within the law is a sanctioned right and by no means is the ruling party ever the state. The State is the country and leadership is representative.

No... Calling DA tactics wrong when they are just buying advertising space is downright hypocritical when you consider these things. All I see is a party that has built itself a castle of lies hiding away from the truth. Throwing rocks at anybody that walks by that even looks like they pose a threat to them.