Android Auto (Google Assistant) vs Apple Carplay (Siri)

Hyundai will fix wireless CarPlay and Android Auto integration

Hyundai has recently confirmed that it will offer wireless compatibility for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto phone mirroring software on models fitted with navigation. This wireless functionality will first make its debut on the second-generation Kona electric crossover.

In the past, Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis vehicles equipped with integrated satellite navigation systems did not offer the wireless versions of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. This was due to a long-standing dispute with a prominent smartphone software manufacturer over priority access to the navigation shortcut button in the vehicle's interior.

This issue did not extend to Hyundai models that lacked a factory navigation system, as the conflict over priority did not exist. However, with the dispute now resolved, upcoming Hyundai models boasting integrated satellite navigation will come with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This upgrade will even apply to some existing models due to backward compatibility.

Hyundai, the South Korean auto manufacturer, is scheduled to introduce this wireless functionality across a range of vehicles, including the new-generation Kona, from October 2023 onwards. Guido Shenken, Hyundai Australia's senior PR manager, revealed that the modification will be backward-compatible on some models, although he could not specify which ones beyond the Kona. "The resolution will come as a software update, however, we can't currently confirm the models to which the backward compatibility will apply. More details will be shared in the months ahead," Shenken explained.

Hyundai will fix wireless CarPlay and Android Auto integration

Hyundai has recently confirmed that it will offer wireless compatibility for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto phone mirroring software on models fitted with navigation. This wireless functionality will first make its debut on the second-generation Kona electric crossover.

In the past, Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis vehicles equipped with integrated satellite navigation systems did not offer the wireless versions of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. This was due to a long-standing dispute with a prominent smartphone software manufacturer over priority access to the navigation shortcut button in the vehicle's interior.

This issue did not extend to Hyundai models that lacked a factory navigation system, as the conflict over priority did not exist. However, with the dispute now resolved, upcoming Hyundai models boasting integrated satellite navigation will come with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This upgrade will even apply to some existing models due to backward compatibility.

Hyundai, the South Korean auto manufacturer, is scheduled to introduce this wireless functionality across a range of vehicles, including the new-generation Kona, from October 2023 onwards. Guido Shenken, Hyundai Australia's senior PR manager, revealed that the modification will be backward-compatible on some models, although he could not specify which ones beyond the Kona. "The resolution will come as a software update, however, we can't currently confirm the models to which the backward compatibility will apply. More details will be shared in the months ahead," Shenken explained.

Would be nice if my Android Auto worked wirelessly on my Atos...but I guess it just takes a sec to plug in the phone to the cable which is always plugged into the cars' USB port. Another benefit is it charges the phone same time so does not drain my battery while using Waze on Android Auto.

Would be nice if my Android Auto worked wirelessly on my Atos...but I guess it just takes a sec to plug in the phone to the cable which is always plugged into the cars' USB port. Another benefit is it charges the phone same time so does not drain my battery while using Waze on Android Auto.
You get an adapter that will make it wireless but they are around R2k.

I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I like that my phone stays charged while connected.

You get an adapter that will make it wireless but they are around R2k.

I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I like that my phone stays charged while connected.
I've purchased one of these adapters from Amazon. Wouldn't recommend over wired Android Auto as it's quite finicky.

GM Is Confident In Its Apple CarPlay, Android Auto Replacement Though Dealers Are Skeptical: Report

The automaker is taking a big gamble on its new system

Earlier this year, the GM announced that it was phasing out Apple CarPlay/Android Auto capability. While the phone mirroring system would still be available on some gas-powered models, going forward, all new models — namely EVs — would use a new GM-designed system. The response was immediate, prompting GM to go on an assurance campaign. Still, as the Detroit Free Press reports, dealers remain unconvinced.

One dealer source told the Freep that, “The risk of failure is very high.” The problem remains that GM is seemingly ignoring a glaring fact with this new system: CarPlay and Android Auto are widely available and everyone uses them.

In a recent survey by Consumer Reports, “57 percent of our survey respondents said they were very satisfied with CarPlay compared with a 50 percent satisfaction rating with built-in systems and 44 percent for Android Auto,” the magazine reported.

GM ditches Apple CarPlay: a smart drive or a dead end?

General Motors recently decided to navigate its own unique course by ditching Apple's popular CarPlay software from their future electric vehicles. An unconventional detour that, to many, feels like driving against traffic.

According to Apple's 2022 WWDC, CarPlay was featured in a whopping 98% of new cars sold that year, and 79% of new car buyers specifically looked for a CarPlay-compatible ride. GM must have missed that memo. Unfazed by the potential customer backlash, the company plans to switch to a new, Google-oriented integrated infotainment system featuring pre-installed Google apps like Maps, Assistant, and PlayStore, plus ever-so-popular add-ons like Spotify and Audible.

This shift has GM dealers wringing their hands in concern, like spectators at a high-stakes poker game. CarPlay is not just a beloved feature; it's a deal-breaker for many customers. Dealers are anxious that buyers may simply drive towards other automakers who plan to keep their cars CarPlay compatible.

GM's defense? Their new in-vehicle infotainment system, debuting in the 2024 Chevy Blazer EV, promises to be "equally as compelling, if not more compelling," according to GM CFO Paul Jacobson. They're counting on their partnership with Google and heaps of vehicle data to curate an unforgettable user experience.

I used Android Auto for a little while using my work phone - It had some issues - like bugs - disconnections. Then I switched to Carplay using my personal iPhone- I mean - there aren't many customisation options; but it works well all the time.

Google Maps and Google Assistant get a facelift for Android Auto

Navigating your way on a road trip or a mundane commute to work is about to get a little bit more interesting. Google Maps, your dependable journey partner, is receiving a design makeover on Android Auto. The new changes are subtle, yet promise an enhanced user experience.

The most noticeable transformation in the latest Google Maps update is the introduction of a sidebar. This permanent feature is all set to change the way we interact with the app, bundling all controls in one place. Previously, users had to engage with the map to summon these controls, but the new design keeps them consistently accessible on the sidebar. This new interface offers you the freedom to zoom in and out, alter the map orientation, modify the voice-guided direction feature, and make changes to other settings.

I've purchased one of these adapters from Amazon. Wouldn't recommend over wired Android Auto as it's quite finicky.
Did you get the Motorola one? What kind of issues does if have?

I used Android Auto for a little while using my work phone - It had some issues - like bugs - disconnections.
What phone was it? I had some issues with my P30 Pro in the past but that was related to the cable. It works great with my S22 Ultra.

Zoom, WebEx and Chrome are now available in Android Auto

Google announced support for a slew of new apps on Android Auto with the most notable additions being WebEx and Zoom. Google says you can now schedule online meetings while on the road, but the interface will let you use them in audio-only mode for safety reasons.

Additionally, the company is bringing Prime Video streaming but only when the car is parked, for obvious reasons. However, the Prime Video app is currently available only to select vehicles from Renault, Polestar and Volvo. Google says it will bring the application to other brands in the near future.

Android Auto testing a disconnect button

It seems Google is testing a smartphone disconnect button for Android Auto. It will be located in the notification area of your smartphone and will terminate the phone's connection to the wireless Android Auto.

The feature is seemingly rolling out with the Android Auto 10.6 update from the Play Store, but it seems only some beta testers have had it pop up.

This is a very convenient feature as so far users would need to enter Airplane mode or physically disconnect an adapter to disconnect their phone from Android Auto.

Back