Android Ice Cream Sandwich gets twice as fast thanks to Linaro

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Android Ice Cream Sandwich gets twice as fast thanks to Linaro, the future looks even brighter

There’s no arguing that Android could feel a little sluggish at times, especially when faced with less capable hardware. Even in its latest, Ice Cream Sandwich release, Google’s mobile OS feels like it could do with more code optimization. And that’s exactly what the Linaro team has done.

The indie developers created an optimized, faster and streamlined Android 4.0.4 build called Linaro, which performs up to 100 percent faster than the AOSP (stock) version. How they did it is hardly too interesting to anyone but programmers, but everyone will probably want to see final result of it all, measured via synthetic benchmarks.

The tests were conducted on identical boards, using the same amount of memory and the TI OMAP 4430 chipset (the one powering the Motorola RAZR) and the results speak for themselves. Check them out in the video below.

[video=youtube;mrQRYmYip6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mrQRYmYip6Q#![/video]

Sounds great, doesn’t it? And it’s about to get much better, as the CyanogenMod team has been considering implementing the changes in their ROMs. One particular dev couldn’t wait and just had to test it out himself. And the result? A CM9 Nightly with Linaro code in it runs beautifully on the Galaxy Nexus and user reports from early adopters have been extremely positive thus far.

Naturally, software optimization could only take Android so far, and Rosenkränzer acknowledges that and takes a glimpse into the future with Cortex A15 chips taking full advantage of the earlier optimization made on the current Cortex A9. So, Google, what are you waiting for? Hire those guys and make Android properly quick!

Source

burn

Expert Member
What prevents Google from doing the same optimization? Surely they are not bad programmers.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
What prevents Google from doing the same optimization? Surely they are not bad programmers.

Probably just never thought of the same techniques.

Since the code has been open sourced, Google could already be doing exactly that, as long as the ideas used are not patented.

EDIT:

Looking at the actual benchmarks, they arent quite up to the 100% range, but still good.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Probably just never thought of the same techniques.

Since the code has been open sourced, Google could already be doing exactly that, as long as the ideas used are not patented.

EDIT:

Looking at the actual benchmarks, they arent quite up to the 100% range, but still good.

Does the rules of open source not state that any changes made to open source code should also be made freely available? I think I read that somewhere.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Does the rules of open source not state that any changes made to open source code should also be made freely available? I think I read that somewhere.

It depends on the license. If it is GPL, then I think so, yes. But you get permissive open source licenses that allow the code to be reused in commercial projects, or closed source projects. Not all licenses allow that.

I think Android is mostly GPL though, which means this code probably has to be under the same license.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
It depends on the license. If it is GPL, then I think so, yes. But you get permissive open source licenses that allow the code to be reused in commercial projects, or closed source projects. Not all licenses allow that.

I think Android is mostly GPL though, which means this code probably has to be under the same license.

Cool...well, lets hope Google implements this then for ICS. It would be interesting to see what these devs did to ICS to make it so much faster...in laymans terms of course :)

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Woot so he done it to 4.0.4.

I hope MIUI guys follow suite as they use 4.0.4 as base.

Man you gotto love Open Source.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Woot so he done it to 4.0.4.

I hope MIUI guys follow suite as they use 4.0.4 as base.

Man you gotto love Open Source.

It is still a biets to flash. :mad: Why cant they just make a .deb file that you can just double tap on yoru screen for us noobs that really aint blessed with da rooting and dalvick wiping and zipping skillz huh? :(

Elimentals

Honorary Master
It is still a biets to flash. :mad: Why cant they just make a .deb file that you can just double tap on yoru screen for us noobs that really aint blessed with da rooting and dalvick wiping and zipping skillz huh? :(

Sucks to be you, doesn't it :)

Come over for coffee, i'll flash it for you :p

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Jeeeezzz...I just watched the video now...that is a MASSIVE improvement. Google and the OEMs would be silly not to implement this to the next ICS update.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Meanwhile, we don't even have the "slow" ICS for the RAZR yet (officially).

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Meanwhile, we don't even have the "slow" ICS for the RAZR yet (officially).

/growls :mad:

Love their hardware...but my patience is running very fcking thin with this company I have to say.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
Synthetic benchmarks are one thing- but do they show how it equates to real world performance?

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
404 Been treating me quite well, but yes the occasional sluggish yime of CM9. Must say however the apex launcher is far superior to whatever cyanogen uses. Have a lot less of those sluggish times since I installed it.
Not sure if the free ones as useful, but with my upgrade coming up the paid version backup option was invitinh. Between that and titanium backup, the phone migration should be super smooth.

Keen to see the cm9.8 with these new optimizations.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
404 Been treating me quite well, but yes the occasional sluggish yime of CM9. Must say however the apex launcher is far superior to whatever cyanogen uses. Have a lot less of those sluggish times since I installed it.
Not sure if the free ones as useful, but with my upgrade coming up the paid version backup option was invitinh. Between that and titanium backup, the phone migration should be super smooth.

Keen to see the cm9.8 with these new optimizations.

Tested the free one on MIUIv4 and can agree that its a lot smoother than ICS stock launcher on ASOP