Android is about to take over your world all over again

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Google's dominance in some sectors has been quietly building over the course of years (televisions and cars), and loudly in others (smartphones). While the media tends to focus on the products where software is a deep and substantive interactive part of the user experience — be it tablets, phones, or laptops — Google has been building itself up as the provider of software that matters to the companies building products where software is traditionally a very unsexy subject. With its new united front into the world of fitness and wearables, I believe there is a very good chance that subtle dominance will once again assert itself, even if the consumer attention it receives isn't proportional to the impact it has on an industry I anticipate it will now much more deeply affect.

I/O 2021 is all about the consolidation of Google's immense power: A statement there is one best Android for phones, one best Android for wearables, one best Android for cars, and one best Android for TVs. If Google can keep up this momentum, there's a real chance that magical, intangible Ecosystem — of your things just working together — could arrive sooner than you think. And that's the kind of technological change that matters in practice, not just well-produced keynotes.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Um...

To borrow from a regular poster in every Apple thread ever... We Apple folks been having it for ages now.

Oh hey @backstreetboy Didn't see you over there. ;)
I have been having this ecosystem of Apple for years... I dont see any benefit to it. The only thing that is useful is occasionally using airdrop to send a photo on my phone to my mbp.
So while its often waved around in arguments I dont really see the allure.

eg2505

Honorary Master
hasnt android been the most popular system these past few years?
Apple, while it has its Cultisits belivers , hasnt lived up to the success Android has always had?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I have been having this ecosystem of Apple for years... I dont see any benefit to it. The only thing that is useful is occasionally using airdrop to send a photo on my phone to my mbp.
So while its often waved around in arguments I dont really see the allure.

That’s a very small part of the ecosystem.

It goes beyond that to other devices and also more importantly other users.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Apple are in this weird feature/function parity gap between MS on the desktop and Android in the mobile space.

Once you cannot use Apple as a desktop OS (Gaming or Business/Corporate World), it makes less sense getting apple products anywhere else IMO.

Costs aside, if I had an Apple Macbook then yes I'd be more inclined to get an Apple iPhone and perhaps Apple watch and and and...

But the chain breaks, because I can't function on a Macbook - not competency wise, I mean literally it won't work for my hobbies or job.

Win 10 + Android don't seem really co-dependent/beneficial nor clash either so there's no issue there.

Just my 2 cents, could be wrong.

Last edited:

Roo!

Expert Member

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
That’s a very small part of the ecosystem.

It goes beyond that to other devices and also more importantly other users.
Yeah thats the thing, everyone says vague things about this "ecosystem" like "It goes beyond that to other devices and also more importantly other users"
But what does that mean for everyday people, how does it benefit us in a meaningful way that makes the diehards froth about?

My wife and I have both been using iphones and ipads for years, I have had mbp's for ages too. So far, aside from stored passwords across devices and possibly shared browser data(if you use Safari), nothing else seems useful to me.

Casting something from your phone to tv? meh, this isnt even remotely new or exciting.
Family sharing is relatively useful if you have similar interests, doest mean anything for me though.

Honestly the only useful thing I have found from having two Apple devices was being able to unlock my laptop with the watch.

Roo!

Expert Member
Lol making music on your phone? No wonder most of the music out there nowadays are so crap.

You'd be amazed at what's possible on portable devices in the creative sphere these days. Unfortunately these portables are all iOS devices due to the legacy design failure of the android audio subsystem. A problem that is only fixable by dumping the current OS and starting again.

Android's audio is delayed not real-time. You can't play live with other musicians when there's a constant out-of-sync issue with software based effects and modulations. It's this issue that is the reason none of these types of apps exist in the Play Store.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah thats the thing, everyone says vague things about this "ecosystem" like "It goes beyond that to other devices and also more importantly other users"
But what does that mean for everyday people, how does it benefit us in a meaningful way that makes the diehards froth about?

My wife and I have both been using iphones and ipads for years, I have had mbp's for ages too. So far, aside from stored passwords across devices and possibly shared browser data(if you use Safari), nothing else seems useful to me.

Casting something from your phone to tv? meh, this isnt even remotely new or exciting.
Family sharing is relatively useful if you have similar interests, doest mean anything for me though.

Honestly the only useful thing I have found from having two Apple devices was being able to unlock my laptop with the watch.

Well primary benefit is one single cost.

If you have an iPhone, MacBook, Watch and Apple TV or iPad you pay once for an app and you use it everywhere.

If you have a family they share that license.

If you have a subscription everyone shares that too.

Introduce one other non-Apple device in there and suddenly you need to buy things again or choose sides where to use it.

Going beyond that Handoff is excellent because I start an email on my phone and I simply continue on my MacBook later. Or my AirPods transfer from the one device to the other. Sure you can use drafts in mixed devices to achieve this and disconnect and reconnect from Bluetooth but the transparency is what makes it work as you often don’t even notice it.

My messages appear on all my devices and my OTP’s get auto populated as I need them.

Music I simply transfer to my HomePod as I walk in the door.

Certainly with cloud everything in recent years you can achieve a semblance of the same thing across other platforms but it’s still never quite as integrated and operates more as a level on top.

I can’t find the Apple TV’s remote and I just pick up my phone and it’s right there. I don’t even need to unlock it to operate the thing or go looking for an app it’s just right there.

It’s a sum of many small parts that doesn’t seem like much until you add it all together or suddenly take it away.

And it’s all homogenous. Siri works the same way across them all and the interfaces between my car and my MacBook or iPad and Apple TV are all familiar.

In most cases every other device has some semblance of control over every other device which makes them all kind of one and the same thing.

Take it further the Family benefits of the ecosystem are the best in class and I can give my kids their own devices with limitations I decide and I can easily check up on this when I fancy. Others have similar things but it’s a massive chore to get working properly and even then leaves a lot to be desired for the lack of end to end cross device ownership.

The deeper you get into the apple ecosystem the better it becomes.

Oddly enough I almost never use Airplay casting. It’s a useless and redundant feature in my book.

Once in a blue moon I might show some photos to family after a day of doing some activity and that’s pretty much it.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Lol making music on your phone? No wonder most of the music out there nowadays are so crap.

Not always “making” it so much as recording it for use later.

I have a mate who hates all things Apple but uses an iPad to record all his guitar sessions.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Well primarily benefit is one single cost.

If you have an iPhone, MacBook, Watch and Apple TV or iPad you pay once for an app and you use it everywhere.

If you have a family they share that license.

If you have a subscription everyone shares that too.

Introduce one other non-Apple device in there and suddenly you need to buy things again or choose sides where to use it.

Going beyond that Handoff is excellent because I start an email on my phone and I simply continue on my MacBook later. Or my AirPods transfer from the one device to the other. Sure you can use drafts in mixed devices to achieve this and disconnect and reconnect from Bluetooth but the transparency is what makes it work as you often don’t even notice it.

My messages appear on all my devices and my OTP’s get auto populated as I need them.

Music I simply transfer to my HomePod as I walk in the door.

Certainly with cloud everything in recent years you can achieve a semblance of the same thing across other platforms but it’s still never quite as integrated and operates more as a level on top.

I can’t find the Apple TV’s remote and I just pick up my phone and it’s right there. I don’t even need to unlock it to operate the thing or go looking for an app it’s just right there.

It’s a sum of many small parts that doesn’t seem like much until you add it all together or suddenly take it away.

And it’s all homogenous. Siri works the same way across them all and the interfaces between my car and my MacBook or iPad and Apple TV are all familiar.

In most cases every other device has some semblance of control over every other device which makes them all kind of one and the same thing.

Take it further the Family benefits of the ecosystem are the best in class and I can give my kids their own devices with limitations I decide and I can easily check up on this when I fancy. Others have similar things but it’s a massive chore to get working properly and even then leaves a lot to be desired for the lack of end to end cross device ownership.

The deeper you get into the apple ecosystem the better it becomes.

Oddly enough I almost never use Airplay casting. It’s a useless and redundant feature in my book.

Once in a blue moon I might show some photos to family after a day of doing some activity and that’s pretty much it.
See now all of that is interesting. Im going to need to google a few of those things because they dont automatically happen across my devices, but would be great if they did.
A lot of your points are really cool, but dont apply to me. I get why they could be useful though.
I appreciate you typing all of that out, it's hard to find that kind of real world use cases on the internet.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
See now all of that is interesting. Im going to need to google a few of those things because they dont automatically happen across my devices, but would be great if they did.
A lot of your points are really cool, but dont apply to me. I get why they could be useful though.
I appreciate you typing all of that out, it's hard to find that kind of real world use cases on the internet.

Yeah and there’s likely a whole lot more of them I just don’t remember off the top of my head right now because they are really tiny details that just make it “the Apple way”.