Android Jelly Bean upgrade uncertainty for HTC, Samsung

robkowa

Can someone explain this to me: what's so hard about this?
On iOS, everyone always gets every update, and updates immediately. No one even talks about it ("which iOS version are you on?" "What do you mean... the latest one, obviously".
Why is Android so update-challenged?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
On iOS, everyone always gets every update, and updates immediately. No one even talks about it ("which iOS version are you on?" "What do you mean... the latest one, obviously".
I would guess because it runs so such a wide variety of hardware..from low end phones to super charged ones. Also, the different manufacturers needs to do the drivers etc for the different hardware used in the different models etc. But yes....I am not impressed with the whole Android upgrade process. It does leave a bad lingering taste. Still waiting for ICS on my RAZR. *sigh*

drukkie

Expert Member
That is not the problem...the problem is that every company "Skins" their phone...touchwiz etc etc.
so they have to develop or adapt after every release.

With the nexus it's easy since they are running android "vanilla"

HTC and samsung skin their phones to give it more appeall and functionality.
I say just give us an option!

Allin

Expert Member
Never get the firmware from a service provider, just download and install it yourself. That way you don't get a branded version with bits and pieces you don't need

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Because once you do get the update on Android everything will work unlike

Last edited:

robkowa

Never get the firmware from a service provider, just download and install it yourself. That way you don't get a branded version with bits and pieces you don't need
OK, I see, it's the customisation via skins, etc. So, you mean to tell me that I should tell my mother/girlfriend that they should "just download and install the firmware themselves"..... hahhahahaaaaaa. The image is priceless (I'm picturing my girlfriend installing firmware :). Basically, if you're not tech-savvy, and you buy an Android phone, you must accept that you will run the same os until the phone's end of life, no matter what progress has happened since then. Just like in the bad old feature phone days. Not good.

poffle

Executive Member
Hahah unlucky for you guys. Goodluck waiting 8 months for samsung or HTC to pull finger and attempt to roll out updates

achuman

Basically, if you're not tech-savvy, and you buy an Android phone, you must accept that you will run the same os until the phone's end of life, no matter what progress has happened since then. Just like in the bad old feature phone days. Not good.
Not sure where you read that... Nobody said they will never update the phones, it just takes them a couple of months to release a Samsung/HTC version of it. It's only the guys who always HAVE to be on the latest version that go and flash custom roms, others just have to wait a couple months longer (but then again those people like your mother/girlfriend won't really care which dessert name their phone is on).

The other comment in this thread that bugs me is the belief that all Apple devices run the same version of iOS. They don't! Every time Apple releases a new version of iOS they exclude some of the older devices from the supported list. This means that Apple products fall behind in iOS updates just like their Android counterparts.

You should get updates for your phone up to 2 years into its life, after which it will be too old and the manufacturer won't support it anymore (HTC, Samsung, Apple, they all do this).

Kwerty

Expert Member
Company Rep
+1

First they said the Desire (original) couldnt run ICS....I'm running it. Now the devs are working on JB!
+1

I'm already running CM10 on my SGS.

My next phone will be a Nexus. I'm over these OEMs taking their sweet time.

Nefertiti

Honorary Master
With the nexus it's easy since they are running android "vanilla"
I wonder if that is really the case though. My motorola xoom was running 3.2 and I eventually got the update from Motorola to upgrade to ICS on monday. So why did it take them that long? I really wish the updates for the android OS was better and yes, I can help myself and customize it to my hearts content, but its not something I'll ask my parents to do.