Android security in South Africa is a disaster waiting to happen

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
They will not care as a proper QA test lab will eat into their profits.

This is where iOS trumps Android.

Louis72

What I have never understood tho is why Samsung or Sony etc cannot simply push the software updates out directly for their own devices?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
What I have never understood tho is why Samsung or Sony etc cannot simply push the software updates out directly for their own devices?
Because the service provider need to test said update(s) first before it get installed on the user's handset as they don't want to have "quality" problems...

Hah, weakest excuse I've ever heard in a long while.

Hemps

Honorary Master
One of the reasons I installed a rom (Fulmics) updated on regular basis with latest security etc.

orin76

Expert Member
Headline is a bit misleading. Article refers specifically to Samsung on the Cell C network. People out there need to realise that Samsung != Android. My Sony gets updates as they are made available internationally. I'm not tied to my provider's schedule.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Are the updates pushed from Google, or a 3rd party?
3rd party.

I was on MM supplied from LG and on security update June.
Installed Fulmics I see I'm on security update September.

Updated to latest Security Patch from September 2016

Last edited:

fbman

the next problem is the price of data.. it costs u data to download these updates.. and our networks love to give you these "amazing deals" with 100Meg of data and then charge the earth when you go over the data.. Those users will never download the updates...

Agreed, that where IOS is better than android.

waylander

Expert Member
the next problem is the price of data.. it costs u data to download these updates.. and our networks love to give you these "amazing deals" with 100Meg of data and then charge the earth when you go over the data.. Those users will never download the updates...

Agreed, that where IOS is better than android.
This is a completely different issue altogether in my opinion.

Louis72

Because the service provider need to test said update(s) first before it get installed on the user's handset as they don't want to have "quality" problems...

Hah, weakest excuse I've ever heard in a long while.
So in other words load a bunch of bloatware and logos. And i assume make slighty older phones obsolete quicker by not sending out updates so that you are forced to sign a new contract.

Hemps

Honorary Master
A user like you? Would you pick up on it? :)
Nope, unfortunately I have to rely on going through the forum on XDA first before I updated.
Hold thumbs it's not malicious but i see your point.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
on this topic, I have a huawei g7 ascend. how safe and difficult is it for me to update from huawei themselves? Using the phones auto update it says I am up to date, but I know there is an update for my phone as I can see it on the huawei website. Updates both android verion (4.4.4 -> 5.0) and ui (3.0 ->3.1)

Since it seems that my sp has no interest in updating the firmware available, I am keen to do it myself but am a bit stressed about bricking my phone.

Ecco

Executive Member
on this topic, I have a huawei g7 ascend. how safe and difficult is it for me to update from huawei themselves? Using the phones auto update it says I am up to date, but I know there is an update for my phone as I can see it on the huawei website. Updates both android verion (4.4.4 -> 5.0) and ui (3.0 ->3.1)

Since it seems that my sp has no interest in updating the firmware available, I am keen to do it myself but am a bit stressed about bricking my phone.
Huawei are the most useless manufacturer out there. I have a device, it has not received a single update in the more then 2 years i have it.

Its not that simple to flash a new rom, but there should be a lot of websites with clear instructions.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Problem 1 = manufacturers takes forever to apply drivers, bloatware, branding, test

Problem 2 = networks take a while to add more **** bloat and branding