Anger at suicide of Aaron Swartz

BeVonk!

Executive Member
This case ties in with all the "Property Rights" cases that has gone completely crazy in the States. A very ugly side of capitalism is being exposed in the States and that country must not be surprised when communism rises to become a real threat again, this time from the inside. People are getting serious gatvol of these "fat pigs" protecting their income streams and want to see more equality ... better access for all. The rich is getting ridiculously richer, the middle class is disintegrating, and the poor is getting poorer. Where is the tipping point? A huge tip is on the horizon for that nation if reforms are not forthcoming.

Guys like these are the first wave of protests. His death will inspire many to do more for the cause.

MyWorld

Executive Member
The manner in which Aaron had been prosecuted offers a sharp contrast to the manner in which our legal system dealt with corporate America after the 2008 financial crisis, where there were no prosecutions of top corporate figures. Sadly, the contrast highlights that trying to disseminate knowledge, quite literally by making academic journal articles available online, is a greater crime than bringing down the United States economy through "corporate mismanagement and heedless risk-taking."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-hayat/the-prosecution-of-aaron-swartz_b_2465851.html

ponder

Honorary Master
The stuff on JSTOR he copied are academic journals. Last time I checked when you write an academic journal a copy also goes to the institutions library in printed form so the journals are in the public domain. JSTOR just acts like a central repository for these digitised journals.

Why copying them from JSTOR is a crime hell alone knows. It's not like he hacked the JSTOR database either, he copied the stuff across a open university network.

They should probably start looking into shutting down public libraries as well while they are at it...

Jola

Honorary Master
... the contrast highlights that trying to disseminate knowledge, quite literally by making academic journal articles available online, is a greater crime than bringing down the United States economy through "corporate mismanagement and heedless risk-taking."
More like pigs feeding at the trough !

ponder

Honorary Master
From the comments on the huffingtonpost article,

Copyrights of the vast majority of articles sequesteered in JSTOR are held by the publishers, who have, in almost all cases involving so-called 'scholarly journals,' paid and pay nothing to authors. In many cases, the research underlying the published work was funded by taxpayer funding, through granting agencies, such as the NSF and NIH. Places like MIT invest little in the intellectual product: ttheir buildings are often funded by folks like the Koch brothers, the cost of research is borne by the taxpayer. In a word, they are mendicants - very good ones, but beggars nevertheless.
The cost of purchasing a single article, often needed by students who are funded by oppressive personal loans from big banks, can be around $40! In addition to JSTOR and MIT and its ilk, many journals chargde prices like that. Most often, these are the 'prestige' journals (such as "Nature"), where scientists salivate to publish - as they contribute to ripping off students, or journals published by greedy organizations like the American Chemical Society, which sells a battery of key publications, most of whoise content is carried out on the poublic dole. I should not leave this topic before pointing out that private publishers, like Elseveir, are particularly harsh in their charges, not only for books, but for their electronic holdings of their own journals.
Responsible academicians should give up their fantasies and publish in the many journals, online and off, that do not extort the hard won pennies of students.

greg0205

Honorary Master
This story has bugged me for a while now and Swartz's suicide on Friday was the icing on the cake (for lack of a better metaphor). FFS, the vast majority of articles in JSTOR are either public domain or were funded by tax payer money and should have been.
I see Anonymous had the MIT site down with a DDos attack yesterday and that MIT's President has instituted an "internal investigation" into their part in his suicide... Far too little, far too late IMO.

PS. Academics have been posting links to copyright protected material on a Twitter tribute feed... There's a site collecting the material here.

ponder

Honorary Master
I see Anonymous had the MIT site down with a DDos attack yesterday and that MIT's President has instituted an "internal investigation" into their part in his suicide... Far too little, far too late IMO.
MIT did not press any charges against him. It's those zealous DoJ people with political aspirations they should go after.

greg0205

Honorary Master
MIT did not press any charges against him. It's those zealous DoJ people with political aspirations they should go after.
The DoJ no doubt, but MIT were obtuse about the charges... JSTOR actively opposed the prosecution.

X-Gamer

Just the other day I was gatvol of the fact that I couldn't access journals and had to ask a friend at university to get it for me. Was thinking about the idea of a P2P Journal archive... free ofcourse....

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
This case ties in with all the "Property Rights" cases that has gone completely crazy in the States. A very ugly side of capitalism is being exposed in the States and that country must not be surprised when communism rises to become a real threat again, this time from the inside. People are getting serious gatvol of these "fat pigs" protecting their income streams and want to see more equality ... better access for all. The rich is getting ridiculously richer, the middle class is disintegrating, and the poor is getting poorer. Where is the tipping point? A huge tip is on the horizon for that nation if reforms are not forthcoming.

Guys like these are the first wave of protests. His death will inspire many to do more for the cause.
That's the trouble. Most people have no idea what real Communism is like.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Just the other day I was gatvol of the fact that I couldn't access journals and had to ask a friend at university to get it for me. Was thinking about the idea of a P2P Journal archive... free ofcourse....
You're not important enough. Institutional access is available.

PsyLenT

Heard about a tweet pointing out that we live in a world where the punishment for "stealing" knowledge is more severe than the punishment for committing rape...

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
They did not press charges directly but they did inform DOJ and then continued to work with them on the prosecution. <- that is just as good as doing the initial pressing charges,

Worst part was that JSTOR and MIT had a civil case against him in 2011 where JSTOR agreed to drop the case if he returned the files, which he did. So in essence the case was over and done with. Well till someone at MIT decided not to drop it.

At least we can say one thing that came out of this twitter & #PDFtribute's

Joke is just that someone need to organize and categorize that.
Oh wait then they will need to get paid.
Oh wait I know make something not for profit to do this.
Crap isn't that what JSTOR was in the 1st place? A not-for-profit library that simply organized the journals?

Last edited: