Angry commuters torch trains, loot, at Cape Town station

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town – Two trains were set alight and shops looted at Cape Town station on Monday night, when commuters went on the rampage in reaction to lengthy delays.

“Two trains are on fire. At this stage there are no injuries,” said City of Cape Town fire and rescue spokesperson Theo Layne.

Police were on the scene and helping to keep protesters at bay while the firefighters tried to douse the flames.

He said the station was not on fire, as some people had tweeted. The smoke was so thick that firefighters had called a truck with special breathing equipment to the scene.

The chaos started early in the evening, when passengers became increasingly irate over lengthy delays, which Metrorail attributed to an overloaded electrical system.

By 21:00, the concourse was littered with glass and broken dustbins that had been thrown in a rage.

Metrorail spokesperson Riana Scott explained that Metrorail had four 11kV power feeds available to operate the train service.

Between 15:00 and 19:00, two of the four feeds were unavailable. The two remaining ones were overloaded, the electricity supply tripped, and trains all over the network were halted, some for over two hours.

The trouble started while technicians were working on the problem.

“Hundreds of irate customers converged at Cape Town Station and some shops were damaged and looted,” said Scott.

Golden Arrow was allowing Metrorail’s weekly and monthly ticket holders to use its bus service to get home. It would keep operating until all commuters had been ferried out.

Metrorail regional manager Richard Walker apologised to customers, but criticised those who caused the damage.

“We acknowledge that commuters were aggrieved, but no amount of inconvenience warrants such behaviour.”

Surveillance footage would be studied to open cases of malicious damage to property. Technicians restored power at 20:52 and Metrorail planned to start operating again.

Police fired rubber bullets at the angry commuters who tried to break in for a loot at a nearby KFC and McDonald’s. They managed to disperse the angry crowd to the rainy streets and cordoned off the station and nearby stores.

Firefighters on the scene also managed to contain the fire before it could spread to other stores connected to the station.

One commuter that, instead of being at home with their families, they were now stuck in the rain.

“These people don’t take us serious. How are we supposed to go home? Our kids are waiting for us, broer. It’s about 10 [pm] you can see for yourself,” said one train commuter who refused to give his name.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...rch-trains-loot-at-cape-town-station-20170612

Cape Town – Two trains were set alight and shops looted at Cape Town station on Monday night, when commuters went on the rampage in reaction to lengthy delays.

“Two trains are on fire. At this stage there are no injuries,” said City of Cape Town fire and rescue spokesperson Theo Layne.

Police were on the scene and helping to keep protesters at bay while the firefighters tried to douse the flames.

He said the station was not on fire, as some people had tweeted. The smoke was so thick that firefighters had called a truck with special breathing equipment to the scene.

The chaos started early in the evening, when passengers became increasingly irate over lengthy delays, which Metrorail attributed to an overloaded electrical system.

By 21:00, the concourse was littered with glass and broken dustbins that had been thrown in a rage.

Metrorail spokesperson Riana Scott explained that Metrorail had four 11kV power feeds available to operate the train service.

Between 15:00 and 19:00, two of the four feeds were unavailable. The two remaining ones were overloaded, the electricity supply tripped, and trains all over the network were halted, some for over two hours.

The trouble started while technicians were working on the problem.

“Hundreds of irate customers converged at Cape Town Station and some shops were damaged and looted,” said Scott.

Golden Arrow was allowing Metrorail’s weekly and monthly ticket holders to use its bus service to get home. It would keep operating until all commuters had been ferried out.

Metrorail regional manager Richard Walker apologised to customers, but criticised those who caused the damage.

“We acknowledge that commuters were aggrieved, but no amount of inconvenience warrants such behaviour.”

Surveillance footage would be studied to open cases of malicious damage to property. Technicians restored power at 20:52 and Metrorail planned to start operating again.

Police fired rubber bullets at the angry commuters who tried to break in for a loot at a nearby KFC and McDonald’s. They managed to disperse the angry crowd to the rainy streets and cordoned off the station and nearby stores.

Firefighters on the scene also managed to contain the fire before it could spread to other stores connected to the station.

One commuter that, instead of being at home with their families, they were now stuck in the rain.

“These people don’t take us serious. How are we supposed to go home? Our kids are waiting for us, broer. It’s about 10 [pm] you can see for yourself,” said one train commuter who refused to give his name.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...rch-trains-loot-at-cape-town-station-20170612

"These people don’t take us serious. How are we supposed to go home? Our kids are waiting for us, broer. It’s about 10 [pm] you can see for yourself"

Next time burn with the train please...

I want to torch and loot the journalists workplace after reading that crap...

Richard Walker is forever apologising for the inconvenience, when is he or anyone at metrorail going to take accountability?

It's broken
Fix it
It's fixed
Burn it
It's broken
Perfect sense
Not

It's broken
Fix it
It's fixed
Burn it
It's broken
Perfect sense
Not

Month ago caught a train from CT station...peak hour...1st class. Felt like I was in a scene of The Strain, when I went through the turnstile. Dodgy as ****, dirty...30% of the lights working, burned train carcasses, just left there! Hell became real in the train, never played rugby...but would assume what I endured must be on par of of with scrum practice...overcrowded, people squashing. Metrorail/Prasa do not give a ****, it never gets fixed...no long term plan in place, just a case of....oh, lets see how we get through the day.

Inb4 the burning of the trains were because of allowing gay marriages in Cape Town lol..

Month ago caught a train from CT station...peak hour...1st class. Felt like I was in a scene of The Strain, when I went through the turnstile. Dodgy as ****, dirty...30% of the lights working, burned train carcasses, just left there! Hell became real in the train, never played rugby...but would assume what I endured must be on par of of with scrum practice...overcrowded, people squashing. Metrorail/Prasa do not give a ****, it never gets fixed...no long term plan in place, just a case of....oh, lets see how we get through the day.

most of the people that comment here do not use the trains in Cape Town, they won't be able to relate.

I even recall someone suggesting using the trains for daily transport since they were under the impression everything was working fine.

A schit! Was wondering what was going on last night. I hope we don't get delayed going into the station this morning. Should probably have stayed at home...

Hahahahahaha f8ckers. And today all trains are 40 mins late because of the 2 trains they torched.

Cut the nose to spite the face... dumb f8ckers

most of the people that comment here do not use the trains in Cape Town, they won't be able to relate.

I even recall someone suggesting using the trains for daily transport since they were under the impression everything was working fine.

I took the train for 7 years. Only the last 2 years that I took it on/off. I mostly stay away these days.

Just count the number of trains burnt in the last 24 month. Imagine if they were not burnt?
People are contributing to this problem. Creating their own problem.

The myciti is fine now. But imagine if they start burning myciti buses at the same ratio that they burn trains. You will cripple that mode of transport just as bad as the trains very fast.

Last edited:
I took the train for 7 years. Only the last 2 years that I took it on/off. I mostly stay away these days.

Just count the number of trains burnt in the last 24 month. Imagine if they were not burnt?
People are contributing to this problem. Creating their own problem.

The myciti is fine now. But imagine if they start burning myciti buses at the same ratio that they burn trains. You will cripple that mode of transport just as bad as the trains very fast.

At issue is that PRASA - dysfunctional and way too busy with other crap/Guptas, to actually be running a world class efficient operation. There is no excuse for touching of trains/destruction of any property....period. Rail stock/infrastructure, has not been upgraded nor replaced in last couple of years. The service has not been keeping up with demand. Like I said, PRASA is way too busy with other crap, to care.

At some stage the city wanted to take over the running of Metrorail, part of their public transport strategy, but that fell through,...hence MyCiti service being rolled out where rail service already exists.

The train trip I took, was the first in two years....and can assure you, will never put myself through that hell again. Now imagine, this crap being your everyday experience.

Same as WC politicians claiming world class public transport system....MyCiti, yes...Metrorail, hell no

Back