Angry reaction after Nelson Mandela Bay demolishes beachfront braai stands 'to save lives'

Currantly

Expert Member
The Nelson Mandela Bay government is getting huge backlash after much-loved braai stands were demolished along Marine Drive in an effort to deter beachgoers and, as such, prevent Covid-19 spread.
On Friday, beachgoers clashed with law enforcement officers and lifeguards after they tried to break up large gatherings at beaches.
Amid clashes at various beaches, a municipal bulldozer emerged and flattened the concrete braai spots.

Linky

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Ag don't worry soon a tender will go out and a cadre will win the tender for R1 500 000 000 to rebuild the 20 so braai's.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ag don't worry soon a tender will go out and a cadre will win the tender for R1 500 000 000 to rebuild the 20 so braai's.
I'm sure the DA mayor wants in on that...

Cereal_Killer

Forging
And half of them will never get built and the half that was built will either collapse or burn down on first use

Currantly

Expert Member
Relevant pic, apparently:

safe_image.php

[FB]

grok

Honorary Master
Expected action checks out, just curious why demolish and not burn?

B-1

Expert Member
Probably prime beach property that couldn't be rezoned because it was historically a park?

Mila

Honorary Master
On Friday, beachgoers clashed with law enforcement officers and lifeguards after they tried to break up large gatherings at beaches.

This is why we can't have nice things. A small group of people spoiling it for the rest.
Why large groups people? Pick your small group and stick to it.
I hate these Covid enforcements but can we please just stop being idiots about large groups.

And then how big was the group? Larger than 50 people?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This is why we can't have nice things. A small group of people spoiling it for the rest.
Why large groups people? Pick your small group and stick to it.
I hate these Covid enforcements but can we please just stop being idiots about large groups.

And then how big was the group? Larger than 50 people?
5000 if you read the article.

Appalling from the DA. :mad:

Acting like the twats in the ANC!

I expect better...the Eastern Cape DA should follow the exemplary leadership of their brethren in the Western Cape.

Bewlen

Expert Member
79 IQ average making decisions. This is what you get (yes I'm fully aware this is DA)