• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Angry Umlazi train commuters allegedly torch train cars over late arrival

No you are trying to me enlightened, but you're not pulling it off.
I have no aversion to enlightening you, or you me, if that is what your post means. If however you meant type 'be' rather than 'me', you are trying to guess my motives. Successfully? You will have to work that out for yourself if it matters to you. There is no reason why it should.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I have no aversion to enlightening you, or you me, if that is what your post means. If however you meant type 'be' rather than 'me', you are trying to guess my motives. Successfully? You will have to work that out for yourself if it matters to you. There is no reason why it should.
Good, you've identified a typo. As for any sort of enlightenment, you fail.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Probably only started by a handful, and the rest got swept up and joined it. Still not sure how that works. There is no way you'll get me swept up into a frenzy and start burning things down.
Perhaps where education part of it comes in. And frustration, you know, without thinking about repercussions. Then you get the stoners and half drunks as well.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Just my opinion based on environment I grew up in. A laid back rural village where there were hardly any incidents of violence (bar occasional bar brawls and schoolyard misdemeanors). It has since changed but it's mostly due to drugs.

Eniigma

Expert Member
The question is how do you actually vent your frustration at poor service delivery in a meaningful way? Not defending these p.o.s in anyway.

With the incoming petrol increase again and everything else..got me thinking about this a little.

Anything done these days seems to just fall on deaf ears of the gov. They don't give a ****. They can loot, steal, make false promises and under preform till Jesus come's and the masses will still vote for them.

Also waiting 5 years till the next election if we could by some miracle get enough people to vote for someone else is too long to wait. (Yes I know they are actually next year, I'm talking in a general sense).

I can sort of, on the right day if I tilt my head just right and squint the exact amount make sense out of action like this. The reality is it should never have gotten to this level of frustation and brings me back to my original question, what can we actually do about it?

Seriously

Honorary Master
I dont. Look at our youngest generations. No more dicipline, pride or respect for teachers, police, some elses property and even their parents. Just I want, I will, someone else must supply, someone else is responsible or to blame.
The new culture of responsibility for your own actions and well being is gone. Parental and the people placed in position of authority's powers is curbed by law and the younger generations abuse that. We see proof of it at schools everyday as the new generation rejects authority. It gets worse as time flies by.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I dont. Look at our youngest generations. No more dicipline, pride or respect for teachers, police, some elses property.l and even their parents. Just I want, I will, someone else must supply, someone else is responsible or to blame.
The new culture of responsibility for your own actions is gone. Parental powers is curbed and the younger generations abuse that. We see proof of it at schools everyday as the new generation rejects authority. It gets worse as time fly by.
You make a good point. However, I think people still choose to behave like a bunch of rabid animals whether they were raised well or not.

Seriously

Honorary Master
Just my opinion based on environment I grew up in. A laid back rural village where there were hardly any incidents of violence (bar occasional bar brawls and schoolyard misdemeanors). It has since changed but it's mostly due to drugs.
Where your superiors like parents and teachers held respected authority I presume?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Where your superiors like parents and teachers held respected authority I presume?
Yes.

There were still isolated cases of someone breaking into a house but these were infrequent. I miss my childhood.

Drugs and excessive drinking have taken over.

Seriously

Honorary Master
Yes.

There were still isolated cases of someone breaking into a house but these were infrequent. I miss my childhood.

Drugs and excessive drinking have taken over.
Yip. When I was young just married living in Richardsbay during the late 80's in a new housing development area. My back fence was adjacent to bushy field. I went to Newcastle for a weekend and forgot my front door wide open. We always leave lights on when we go away. Contracters were building new house next door. They used my tap frequently When I returned Sunday evening the door was still open with lights on and. ........ nothing missing or touched. The contractors once helped my wife catch and remove a snake in our lounge.
We used to be able to leave our cars open at shopping mall.

Only break in or damage, we experiened then was the damn monkeys who entered through slightly open window, apart from items once taken by my one trusted gardener from garage.

Those were the days. Now long gone. Trust and respect? Also gone.

Last edited:
You don't need fancy possessions to have pride.
I felt what I take to be pride when watching the Top Gear programme about the E type Jaguar, particularly the end on the White Cliffs, Battle of Britain memorial flight, Union Jack across the cliffs, military band playing and so on.
I suppose there will be some to say it was all done with the fruits of colonialism.
The sort of pride I have mentioned that I feel uncomfortable with is the pride associated with the compulsion to be 'better' in some way than other groups. An example would be the feeling of some white people that black people are inferior savages, simply because they are black.