Angry with firstshop.co.za! What are my options?

Wolvyreen

Hello,

I am really angry today! I bought the MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO - GRAPHICS CARD at firstshop.co.za on Monday because they had a BlackFriday/CyberMonday special on the card for R2500 less than the normal asking price of R26500.

The site showed in stock and available and so I ordered the card and paid in full on Monday.

Yesterday I noticed the order was not changing or being updated and so I called them. The lady over the phone told me that she needs to find out why it's being held up. She promised to get back to me but she didn't.

I thought everything was a done deal and I just needed to wait for my card to be delivered.

Today I get the following email from one of their staff:

Hi,

I trust you are well.

Please note that stock has been sold out for the “MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO - GRAPHICS CARD”.

Kindly provide your banking details so we may process a refund for you.

Account holders Name and Acc number
Bank Name
Branch code and Name
Type of account

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
Now remember, this was on special AND it said IN STOCK on the website.

How do I handle this? I am so angry!

Wolvy

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Hello,

I am really angry today! I bought the MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO - GRAPHICS CARD at firstshop.co.za on Monday because they had a BlackFriday/CyberMonday special on the card for R2500 less than the normal asking price of R26500.

The site showed in stock and available and so I ordered the card and paid in full on Monday.

Yesterday I noticed the order was not changing or being updated and so I called them. The lady over the phone told me that she needs to find out why it's being held up. She promised to get back to me but she didn't.

I thought everything was a done deal and I just needed to wait for my card to be delivered.

Today I get the following email from one of their staff:

Now remember, this was on special AND it said IN STOCK on the website.

How do I handle this? I am so angry!

Wolvy
Retailers often do this, there's no point in getting upset about it. This is how business rolls in SA. Vote with your wallet and don't do business with this crap company.
I've boycotted this lot for a while now

Wolvyreen

The amount of entitlement on this forum as of late is astounding...
You're obviously one of those overly opinionated people until the tables turn on you!

Retailers often do this, there's no point in getting upset about it. This is how business rolls in SA. Vote with your wallet and don't do business with this crap company.
I've boycotted this lot for a while now
I bought a monitor from them before and the sale went smoothly. I thought that they could get my repeat business and so I went with it. I mean, it's not a small amount to have paid.

Their site says "In Stock" when you place the order, they take your money and the next day they tell you they can't honor the deal.

They should simply say "Subject to stock availability" or "Subject to being in stock with the supplier" or whatever but saying IN STOCK, it entices me to actually make payment and expect the delivery.

NEVER again will I buy there!

Last edited:

Hellhound105

Expert Member
You're obviously one of those overly opinionated people until the tables turn on you!

I bought a monitor from them before and the sale went smoothly. I thought that they could get my repeat business and so I went with it. I mean, it's not a small amount to have paid.

Their site says "In Stock" when you place the order, they take your money and the next day they tell you they can't honor the deal.

They should simply say "Subject to stock availability" or "Subject to being in stock with the supplier" or whatever but saying IN STOCK, it entices me to actually make payment and expect the delivery.

NEVER again will I buy there!
Agree. OP could have bought from another supplier, perhaps not R2500 off, perhaps, R1500 off but then he would have had the card.
Now everything is back to normal price and the opportunity is missed.

Its like you, Satanboy and Arty said. Then next year remember and dont buy from them

Wolvyreen

Agree. OP could have bought from another supplier, perhaps not R2500 off, perhaps, R1500 off but then he would have had the card.
Now everything is back to normal price and the opportunity is missed.

Its like you, Satanboy and Arty said. Then next year remember and dont buy from them
Thats EXACTLY why I am angry! All the prices have gone up again and I lost out on the special now.

I should take them to small claims and make them pay me that loss!

Freddl

I have had a similar experience with Firstshop and will never buy from them again - especially since it took almost 3 weeks to refund me.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Thats EXACTLY why I am angry! All the prices have gone up again and I lost out on the special now.

I should take them to small claims and make them pay me that loss!
Yeah but you will get nowhere. The saying on this forum is "School fees". Just write this off as a lesson learned.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
What would a IT retailer know about It and having a efficient website that does stock control.........
All they want is your money afterall.

flamevector

Big issue with First shop is they get a stock on hand feed feed from the distributors, that feed is not 100% accurate as it is not entirely live. there are gaps it is i think it was every 15 minutes or every hours cant remember exactly, Also the feed from the distributor might not have updated correctly.

So it is never really double checked by FS and they believe the feed is 100% accurate.

EDIT: also the order process from the distributor is manual, so example you order the GPU at lets say 10am, that order then gets sent to procurement and then they only attend to it at around 1PM due to influx of orders, they send it to the distributor with the lowest cost that sales person only sees the order at around 4PM due to being inundated with order due to BF. my 2 cents.

Wolvyreen

Big issue with First shop is they get a stock on hand feed feed from the distributors, that feed is not 100% accurate as it is not entirely live. there are gaps it is i think it was every 15 minutes or every hours cant remember exactly, Also the feed from the distributor might not have updated correctly.

So it is never really double checked by FS and they believe the feed is 100% accurate.

EDIT: also the order process from the distributor is manual, so example you order the GPU at lets say 10am, that order then gets sent to procurement and then they only attend to it at around 1PM due to influx of orders, they send it to the distributor with the lowest cost that sales person only sees the order at around 4PM due to being inundated with order due to BF. my 2 cents.
That's why they should simply say "Subject to stock availability" or "Subject to being in stock with the supplier" or "Contact for availability" or whatever but saying IN STOCK, it will always entice the buyer to actually make payment and expect the delivery but now causes the buyer to lose out on the special that could have been had at wootware or another retailer.

Wolvyreen

Let's see how quick they are to give you a refund, I'd be more concerned about that at the moment, even if they've offered one.
Well, I just spoke to the accounts department that is processing my refund and I impressed on them the urgency of the refund because of the high amount and the fact that I can now possibly get an alternative card at a discount for today and tomorrow only. So hopefully they sort it out today for me.

Last edited:

Wolvyreen

So just an update, after throwing my toys out of the cot, they paid me back the same day so that I could take advantage of another special at another supplier.

So it wasn't all a disaster in the end but I will still never buy from them again.