Animals committing suicide

adamr

Executive Member
then why do us human do it ? ... is there something more to us than just flesh and bones ....

Last edited:

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Staff member
Shjoe. I am really at a loss here. I have farmed some miserable animals in my life that made me wonder if they wanted to, but I doubt that they would. I wonder why people do.

adamr

Executive Member
I want the atheists and agnostic guys to give some answers here ... as there should be some scientific explanation according to them ...

Last edited:

mooK

Expert Member
My dad's told me this story back from his army days...

One of his old friends in the army used to make a ring of fire anytime he found a scorpion, he used to put the scorpion in the middle of the ring, and it would try to escape. Once realising that it was completely surrounded by fire, it would sting itself with it's tail, commiting suicide, knowing it had no way of getting out of the situation.

Always found it rather interesting.

To commit suicide one would have to know that one is alive. Bees sting people- do they know beforehand that they are going to die when they sting something? If they do, then do they commit suicide?

adamr

Executive Member
that is interesting ... maybe it decided killing itself is the lesser of the two pains ... just like a human deciding continuing their lives is worst off than their current situation

wallace

I have seen an animal commit suicide. We cornered it in a house after an armed robbery and it shot itself in the head.

adamr

Executive Member
To commit suicide one would have to know that one is alive. Bees sting people- do they know beforehand that they are going to die when they sting something? If they do, then do they commit suicide?
Look with the bees they doing the "stinging" part outa self defense... I don’t think they know they gonna die ... but point noted about "knowing one is alive", the bees I doubt know this

The thing is with humans, like me sitting right in front of my PC I can decide to take a gun and just shoot myself or cut my finger off with no outside stimulus really needed ...

mooK

Expert Member
I don't think u can classify bees stinging people as suicide since it's their only self-defense mechanism.