Anonymous defaced 3,392 sites hosted with Webafrica - this is how they got in

What was the purpose of their hack? Do they think WA is the only ISP hosting sites of corrupt South Africans?

What was the purpose of their hack? Do they think WA is the only ISP hosting sites of corrupt South Africans?
I don't know what the purpose was either. Defacing activities makes Anonymous is starting to look more and more like ISIS in that they give all obscure and/or small factions of hackers a giant banner & cause to rally under, much like ISIS does with terrorist factions. Or even gangsters, who grafitti their "tags" everywhere.

Maybe now the shared hosting providers will take their responsibility to keep their platforms up to date seriously

Anonymous announced Operation Africa, or #OpAfrica, at the start of February, saying that it would focus on “a disassembly of corporations and governments that enable and perpetuate corruption on the African continent.”

So, which of these 3392 sites enabled and perpetuated corruption?

Or were these just a bunch of script kiddies that tried to justify their petty vandalism with a really lame excuse.

I think the latter.

Maybe now the shared hosting providers will take their responsibility to keep their platforms up to date seriously

The problem with bulk updating sites is that it breaks stuff (Joomla and Wordpress are especially bad at this, and then they're based on PHP which in turn deprecates stuff and breaks things built on it in upgrades), and when you're talking about thousands of sites, there will be a lot of plugins that just go pop. Some companies (siteground is the one I'm familiar with) take a hardline approach of updating automatically, although you can opt out of it and then it clearly is the customers' fault - I think this is the best approach.

I'm not justifying what happened, just saying it's not as black and white as it seems.

How?
Client's load software on the platform like Joomla. They just provide the platform and now must patch client's software.
Touching a client's system is breach of access.

It's not Web Africa's responsibility to update customers joomla versions to the latest patched version.
I'm not really sure how Web Africa can be held responsible because a customer decided not to keep their joomla version up-to-date and their site got hacked.

It would be a different story if sites got defaced based on a exploit server side which Web Africa managed. It's a client's fault if their outdated joomla gets hacked, not the provider.

The issue I have with this entire article is that it paints Web Africa in a bad light as a bad provider when in fact Web Africa hasn't actually done anything wrong.

Good on you MyBB, another outstanding article to slate a hosting provider who has done nothing wrong.

Last edited:
One word. Joomla.
A few years ago we merged with another company and IT had to take over all their stuff. Their own webadmin had resigned, and we didn't have one. He'd very thoughtfully not left any documentation whatsoever. Naturally - we needed to get into the admin section of the site asap. My boss looked over at me and said 'Hey Compton, you're good at figuring things out. Can you help us out here?'

I'm a frakking Systems Integration Engineer (Don't know why they like calling it a 'engineer', I'm a glorified architect/programmer).
It took me all of 15 minutes to Google a solution and get in. Ok - not Google. I went looking in Astalavista, or some site like that.
15 minutes for me to find a exploit I could use. Sums it up perfectly.

It's not Web Africa's responsibility to update customers joomla versions to the latest patched version.
I'm not really sure how Web Africa can be held responsible because a customer decided not to keep their joomla version up-to-date and their site got hacked.

It would be a different story if sites got defaced based on a exploit server side which Web Africa managed. It's a client's fault if their outdated joomla gets hacked, not the provider.

The issue I have with this entire article is that it paints Web Africa in a bad light as a bad provider when in fact Web Africa hasn't actually done anything wrong.

Good on you MyBB, another outstanding article to slate a hosting provider who has done nothing wrong.

You are right there, a lot of misleading titles lately and some which are damaging to other companies' brands. All done for those clicks :sick:

I don't see how this can be WA's fault. They give you hosting space, what you do with it is up to you. If you decide to install a piece of crap like Joomla then that's your problem. It's like renting a house and leaving your door unlocked and then blaming your landlord when you get broken into.

If the hackers could focus on exposing crime and corrupt government it would be millions of times more useful. Their whole cause is totally diluted if they take down sites like a bakery who happen to be co-hosted on a WA server, without any clear links between the sites, the ISP and corruption.

If the hackers could focus on exposing crime and corrupt government it would be millions of times more useful. Their whole cause is totally diluted if they take down sites like a bakery who happen to be co-hosted on a WA server, without any clear links between the sites, the ISP and corruption.

First observation:

If you did that, then the government would come after you seriously, instead of just logging it as a crime at some police station.

Second observation:

Corruption exposed via illegal means will mostly likely never stand in court, so it a pointless in that regard.

These aren't real hackers, they're script kiddies. They don't have the skills to do that.

I don't see how this can be WA's fault. They give you hosting space, what you do with it is up to you. If you decide to install a piece of crap like Joomla then that's your problem. It's like renting a house and leaving your door unlocked and then blaming your landlord when you get broken into.

The way I read it they got in through one site and were able to deface all of them from there. That is definitely a WA problem. Access to one site shouldn't give the hacker access to any others.

The way I read it they got in through one site ...

The title is misleading. The article explains *nothing* about how they got in. The mere mention of Joomla though ...

I've had enough experience with customers not maintaining Joomla to know that, most likely, nothing managed by WA was compromised.

You are right there, a lot of misleading titles lately and some which are damaging to other companies' brands. All done for those clicks :sick:

This article published in partnership with Openweb :D

Back