Anti-Gang Unit revs into gear, as Ramaphosa hands over 50 BMWs

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Explain to me how BMW's are going to counter gang related crime in the Cape Flats?

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Explain to me how BMW's are going to counter gang related crime in the Cape Flats?
Problem I have with that, is that the money spent on those cars, could have been better served in bringing more people into the force. The police need more people out in the field.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
No idea. So far in the news, I've only heard about gang members killing each other. It looks like the problem is solving itself. The BMW's seem kinda pointless.

rambo919

Expert Member
Maybe it's a few higher up's in the force that have commandeered a few Lamborghini's for personal use and put them on the books as work use....

dlk001

Executive Member
Because gangs are inherently attracted to BMWs. So it should be easy to spot a potential gangster in a BMW.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Elevated from Western Cape to national SAPS: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-06-27-cele-makes-his-move-elevates-anti-gang-unit-to-national-office/
Police Minister Bheki Cele has elevated the Anti-Gang Unit to national office and announced the establishment of a new Detective Academy.
Western Cape activist, Colin Arendse, who has been at the forefront of highlighting the power play in the Western Cape, told Daily Maverick that the announcement suggested that Cele had “check-mated” National Commissioner Khehla Sitole.

Sitole appears to have been unwilling or unable to deal with tensions between the Anti-Gang Unit, launched by President Cyril Ramaphosa in 2018, and rival units that had been set up and that have operated in direct competition, depleting resources of other units.

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master
17 arrested, including 2 brothers, in post-shooting swoop in Cape Town

Seventeen people were arrested by the Anti-Gang Unit during a sweep of Kensington in Cape Town after a shooting on gang turf on Thursday night, Western Cape police said.
Spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Andrè Traut said the unit and Kensington police sprang into action after the shooting, which took place at around 22:00 in Glider Crescent.

Nobody was injured but police arrested brothers, aged 28 and 32, for possession of two unlicensed guns and ammunition. One has a pending attempted murder case and had been released on bail in that case as early as last week.
https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/17-arrested-including-2-brothers-in-post-shooting-swoop-in-cape-town-20190726

Grant

Honorary Master
Screen shot 2019-08-03 at 1.25.39 AM.png
SAPS paraded 50 unmarked BMWs, to be used specifically by detectives,
well disguised
nobody would have a clue this is a police vehicle