Anti-Gang Unit revs into gear, as Ramaphosa hands over 50 BMWs

theratman

Executive Member
saps did a raid on a crack house in salt river known as the red door.
the place was like a fortress due to previous raids - the crackhouse proprietor had lookouts spread out far and wide to give warning.
saps used a helicopter, dropped cops on the roof, ripped up the tin roof and in they went
Good on saps! Need more shows of force to fight crime imo.

genetic

Honorary Master
Why do they need to be BMWs? Surely there are perfectly adequate options with car brands that cost much less?
There's no ways that the SAPS paid retail prices on those cars. They often have deals where the vehicle manufacturers will sponsor part of the cost of the vehicles.

genetic

Honorary Master

Sollie

Executive Member

garp

Executive Member
There's no ways that the SAPS paid retail prices on those cars. They often have deals where the vehicle manufacturers will sponsor part of the cost of the vehicles.
Yeah, well then they could rather have not have paid full retail for cheaper GTI's or Focus ST's, etc etc.

garp

Executive Member
i think with the bmw you are more than likely to have a superior vehicle compared to the perp... while other brands might get you from a to b, bmw could give them a needed edge.
I'm not convinced. Whether your car can do 0-100 in 4.5 secs (like a 145M BMW) or 6 secs like a considerably cheaper Focus ST, is not going to make a world of difference in an urban "gang land" scenario, IMHO.

genetic

Honorary Master
I'm not convinced. Whether your car can do 0-100 in 4.5 secs (like a 145M BMW) or 6 secs like a considerably cheaper Focus ST, is not going to make a world of difference in an urban "gang land" scenario, IMHO.
Semantics?

Point is that for the past decade the SAPS did nothing to help combat gang crime. This put massive strain on CoCT law enforcement. SAPS are now stepping up to the table which the local government has been asking for for years.

These AGU officers also got special training in addition to high performance equipment. The DA, WC, CoCT all applauded this and so do I.

I'm sure the local residents in the gang affected areas welcome the extra resources too.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Who knows what else was bolted onto the deal. I know BMW's motorplan is good and this may have been one of the reasons they opted for BMW.

eg2505

Honorary Master
how many can bet that within 6 months a third of these vehicles will be out of commission?

will be a combination of factors, no servicing done, accidents, hijackings, and pure old theft.
also BMW? why not just give them all datsun go's?

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Focus ST? Are you shitting me? Chubb uses a Toyota Yaris which gets them to scenes 100 times faster than I have ever seen a cop do. If there is a high speed chase, the answer for cops isn't super expensive cars. Its coordination. Radio ahead and block the road. NOT race through the streets like some Hollywood movie. Whomever came up with giving cops these expensive cars is an imbecile.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
how many can bet that within 6 months a third of these vehicles will be out of commission?

will be a combination of factors, no servicing done, accidents, hijackings, and pure old theft.
also BMW? why not just give them all datsun go's?
This ^. Get them the cheapest cars.

garp

Executive Member
Focus ST? Are you shitting me? Chubb uses a Toyota Yaris which gets them to scenes 100 times faster than I have ever seen a cop do. If there is a high speed chase, the answer for cops isn't super expensive cars. Its coordination. Radio ahead and block the road. NOT race through the streets like some Hollywood movie. Whomever came up with giving cops these expensive cars is an imbecile.
I totally agree - was just saying that if they really needed a bit of speed there are much cheaper options. These are areas with narrow built up streets between major arterials with heavy traffic - I really don't see how high performance vehicles are going to make much difference.

akescpt

Honorary Master
the timing of this is so convenient. there have been various calls for this for years and now it happens. cant be the election next year can it?

HBee

Expert Member
Not wanting to be negative but with the alarming occurrences of brazen use of official vehicles for private errands, at any given point in time the majority of the vehicles will probably be out on road-trips and family vacations.

I also don't see the point of high speed vehicles in an area where the majority of road are congested an nobody is going anywhere fast.

This is just another example of government wasting taxpayer money on band aids for a gaping wound.

thechamp

Honorary Master
the timing of this is so convenient. there have been various calls for this for years and now it happens. cant be the election next year can it?
You can be sure that everything a politician does has an element of campaigning and promoting themselves, even if it is not election season but since it it is this is also electioneering on top of everything else. Let's also not forget that Zuma had other priorities and all those years this was being called for Ramaphosa was not the President.