Anti-spam entries in the national opt-out database expires after 3 years

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

quovadis

Executive Member
“ When a consumer’s three year anniversary comes up, the DMASA automatically sends out an email or SMS reminder and provides a link to opt out for another three years.”

Have never received anything like this. The cancellation of the opt out after 3 years is ridiculous. Offer people the option to deregister but it’s idiotic to deregister them due to a time period when the reason people resort to the national opt out is because their members don’t respect requests for unsubscribe.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
The best we can do to get spam to stop, is to spread the word for people to ignore them. They will stop when it starts costing them more than they are making from it.

teach people how to use keyword blacklists on their phones and use apps like truecaller to ignore their calls.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
The best we can do to get spam to stop, is to spread the word for people to ignore them. They will stop when it starts costing them more than they are making from it.

teach people how to use keyword blacklists on their phones and use apps like truecaller to ignore their calls.
You can start with this person

kolakidd

POPIA has been in force since July 1 2020, someone actually just needs to enforce it, it's a great tool, and would be of massive benefit to the public.

As pointed out checking lists against DMASA is a voluntary choice companies can choose to do, DMASA is just an non-profit organisation trying to do it's best to bring some control to the space, like WASPA, but it actually has no teeth, which is one of the reasons why POPIA was introduced. They don't share your details because that would de-legitimise them with the entire legitimate direct marketing community, which is who they derive their funding from.

Your details are freely available from all of the government databases that have been leaked over time (Like the Master Deeds leak), or less scrupulous companies sharing your data to third parties.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Pretty sure they leaked their entire database a while ago.
If memory serves me, the DMASA's database, containing all the personal information of people that had opted out, was hacked no less than 3 times.

I remember being about to opt out back in 2011 and procrastinating mainly because DMASA wanted all my personal information including my ID number, about two weeks later there was a news article on MyBB about the first of those hacks.

Happened yonks ago.
Questions should be asked, such as: why does the DMASA require so much personal information about people who want to opt out, and why is all of that personal information being stored in plain text in a database that has been hacked at least 3 times?

This is how it should work: all personal information should be one-way hashed (repeatedly), such that only the hashed data is stored in a database, and DMASA members would submit queries where the query data gets one-way hashed by the DMASA's server, that way no personal information would ever be stored by the DMASA in its database(s).

Even that is arse about face, it should be an opt in database, not an opt out database, everyone should be opted out by default and sadistic people that actually want to receive spam should specifically opt in for it. But the one-way hashed data is a compromise I could live with.

As for the opt out expiry after 3 years, that is a load of bollocks, as is the DMASA's desire to send SMS and email messages for renewing the opt out for another 3 years, it's just an excuse to keep personal information in a database for at least years.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If memory serves me, the DMASA's database, containing all the personal information of people that had opted out, was hacked no less than 3 times.

I remember being about to opt out back in 2011 and procrastinating mainly because DMASA wanted all my personal information including my ID number, about two weeks later there was a news article on MyBB about the first of those hacks.

Questions should be asked, such as: why does the DMASA require so much personal information about people who want to opt out, and why is all of that personal information being stored in plain text in a database that has been hacked at least 3 times?

This is how it should work: all personal information should be one-way hashed (repeatedly), such that only the hashed data is stored in a database, and DMASA members would submit queries where the query data gets one-way hashed by the DMASA's server, that way no personal information would ever be stored by the DMASA in its database(s).

Even that is arse about face, it should be an opt in database, not an opt out database, everyone should be opted out by default and sadistic people that actually want to receive spam should specifically opt in for it. But the one-way hashed data is a compromise I could live with.

As for the opt out expiry after 3 years, that is a load of bollocks, as is the DMASA's desire to send SMS and email messages for renewing the opt out for another 3 years, it's just an excuse to keep personal information in a database for at least years.

So that you can be easily identified by the marketer so that they do not contact you?

Look, everyone who has a problem with this database:
1. Don't use it, and have everybody phone you and use your Truecaller and whatever methods to block that.
2. Vote in some party that promises to make all direct marketing opt in only with the death penalty for the those disobeying that.