Any direct competitors to bidorbuy out there?

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
AFAIK there is no alternative to BOB or Takealot. My issue with BOB are the delivery fees. Even if the seller is in the deepest depth of nowhere there is still a PEP near them - R49 courier fee. Aramex from PnP - R99. Pargo - R69 but are these options offered? Not a chance! Courier fees upwards of R200 are common. No I'm NOT paying 3 or 4 times what I would pay with one of the above services.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Sellers on pedlar can't charge any courier fees. maybe not an alternative to bidorbuy, but the experience is different
Listen I get that you are trying to promote your website, but what a load of cr@p you have on there. It's basically just adverts for random services and hole in the wall shops - seriously?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
My issue with BOB are the delivery fees.
A concept of a Final Order Value Fee was added to stop the "bad" sellers from inflating delivery fees to make a profit on it. That may have solved the "R200 delivery fee for a PS4 game" scenario for the most part but at the end of the day the sellers still need to make a profit.

These sellers/shops on BoB are nowhere near the size of a Takealot nor do they have the investment cash to burn by subsidising delivery fees and they also cannot charge inflated prices on Deal of the Week like what is done on Takealot's Daily Deals (or the site as a whole) to cover the delivery cost and get away with it. If they inflate their price too much the sale will likely go to a competitor on the site.

I've seen a case where a lady didn't want to buy a certain R50 item and pay an R60 delivery fee for it. She'd rather drive to a mall to go see if she can't get it there. That same woman would probably buy it on Takealot and add another R350-R400 worth of stuff she doesn't really want so she can "save" R60 on delivery fees. Humans are complicated this way.

It is something worth addressing though but it is not an easy thing to do if you want it to be a sustainable solution.

Tman*

Expert Member
AFAIK there is no alternative to BOB or Takealot. My issue with BOB are the delivery fees. Even if the seller is in the deepest depth of nowhere there is still a PEP near them - R49 courier fee. Aramex from PnP - R99. Pargo - R69 but are these options offered? Not a chance! Courier fees upwards of R200 are common. No I'm NOT paying 3 or 4 times what I would pay with one of the above services.
BOB would have been 10x the size if we had a realisable SAPO where sellers could offer free shipping like on Ebay.