Any freeware or open source software to limit bandwidth by application?

Threepwood

e.g. Allow 20KBps to Opera and 10KBps to FDM?

Hopefully with a scheduler as well?

LancelotSA

Banned
e.g. Allow 20KBps to Opera and 10KBps to FDM?

Hopefully with a scheduler as well?

But FDM has it's own "traffic limiter" does it not? Have a look under Options>Default download settings>Limit traffic... not sure if this is the idea?

Threepwood

Seen Netlimiter, and yes only the monitor is free.

FDM does have a traffic limiter, but I kind of thought I had something a bit different in mind for it's use. For the life of me though I can't remember exactly what I was planning to do with it though. :D

If anyone comes across something please notify.

Threepwood

Okay, what I really need is to limit the bandwidth that my browsers (Opera/Firefox/IE) use, so if you have a way to do that, please spill.

My router/modem, ZyXel P-2602HWL-D1A, has a bandwidth management feature, but I would rather limit the bandwidth to my browsers somehow on my PC, so that it doesn't affect all users.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
As far as I know, there is no "free" software out there that can do this.

but... I go look at SourceForge... there has to be something.

You might be better off doing it through Linux though! ;)

SecretCode

Garyvdh, it looks like that bandwidthcontroller only controls bandwidth between different client computers - not between applicatios on the same one. Did you see otherwise?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Garyvdh, it looks like that bandwidthcontroller only controls bandwidth between different client computers - not between applicatios on the same one. Did you see otherwise?

Ja, once I installed it, it does not seem to do what the website offers.

All I can see is that if you can identify which data stream belongs to which application, then you can create a rule to limit that data stream.

When you install the program you will see all the data streams.

If you can find the one that belongs to the program you want to limit, then you will be OK... but if you can't identify it... then you will be stuck.

sorry I couldn't help more... but play around with it and see if you can get it to do what you want.

try right clicking on each data stream and creating some rules... and see what effect that has.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Jeez, the more I search... the more I think the ONLY windows program that can do what you want is NetLimiter Pro! :(

mayb you can find an "evaluation" version and give it a good run through to see if it is worthy buying?

at $30.00 it is not too expensive. I would strongly consider buying it!

diabolus

Executive Member
I've used Netlimiter [the old version], very nice tool and basically a good firewall too as it actually requires you to give any app access via it [depending on how you set it up]

However, just make very sure whether you want "bandwidth" aka "speed of download" versus "quantity" limits. I remember i used netlimit to limit the -speed- , like you'd do with FDM allowing an app only to download at 2 kbp/s instead of 100 kbp/s so it doesn't kill my online gaming.

I don't however remember netlimiter having a thing where you could say "if Firefox downloaded 5MB, kill the connection" ....or "Only allow Firefox to download 30MB " ....and it actually applying the setting across multiple sessions. It would have to store alot of settings and keep track PER APP how much you downloaded via it to do that..not quite sure Netlimiter have that?

Threepwood

Thanks for that link Garyvdh. Tried it, but it didn't install nicely for some reason, it said it couldn't start the service or something like that. But it did still open and run, took one look at it though and was confused as hell :p a little more complicated than what I was hoping for :D

I'll run through it some more though.

@diabolus, I'm def. talking bandwidth here and not data amount, I mainly just want to stop browsers from hogging the bandwidth as they do with more media heavy websites.

I think I need to investigate the bandwidth management features of my router some more, and maybe go the route of setting up a server box.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I doubt that you'll find any freeware to do that. The app would need to install some low-level drivers to achieve the throttling...kinda like the firewall needs drivers to block stuff.

Google for Quality of Service (QoS).

qinglung

Expert Member
Netveda's Safety.Net firewall has options to set upload/download rates for applications/services, you can even set it to only limit at certain times. But I can't vouch for how it works, never tried it myself.

diabolus

Executive Member
ginglung said:
Netveda's Safety.Net firewall has options to set upload/download rates for applications/services, you can even set it to only limit at certain times. But I can't vouch for how it works, never tried it myself.

Just downloaded it and installed it . Very nice find there!
It seems to be free for "personal use" . And so far didn't get any restrictions. It indeededly does allow you to limit traffic [upload & download] per app or per service [i.e. WEB/FTP/PORT/etc etc].

It even does record the -amount- used per APP/SERVICE. However i haven't seen a setting to build rules on that, so it will be a pure log [which is actually great by itself].

The rulesets per APP/SERVICE includes allowing connections between a -time- period. i.e. deny web access between 7pm - 9pm .....very cool.

Linky: http://www.netveda.com/downloads/index.htm

I like this more than the latest NEtlimiter..this one is small and simple..not extravagant graphical charts and stuff slowing everything down [latest netlimiter is somewhat of a bloated app] .

Last edited: