ghostRgg

For reference prices at my building

10mbps uncapped R699
20mbps uncapped R899
50mbps uncapped R999
100mbps uncapped R1250
200mbps uncapped R1699

R1700 installation fee
Not bad pricing at all, the 10 and 200Mbps is a bit pricey, but the rest are within most FNO and ISP's pricing.

Reactions: Yuu

squirrel

Expert Member
I'm not sure what to do with that information still, if its lightspeed that is one thing, you could get them to do the install and ISP side of things. If it is not, then I have no idea what it is.

I haven't heard of FTTA and their website says they are an ISP, while in these letters they make it sound like they are the FNO and ISP at the same time, but are supposedly open access.

If they are Open Acess but don't have any other ISP on their network for "your building" then its a little concerning, but its either fibre with them, or no fibre it seems.

From what I understand, they discount fibre infrastructure costs to new developments (building I'm in is 2 years old) and in return have a monopoly over being the main ISP in the building. Probably seems like a good idea for developers to take the load off?

I wonder if they charge a R1700 installation fee for every tenant that moves in? I wasn't notified about this prior to moving in and/or wasn't mentioned in the contract.

ghostRgg

From what I understand, they discount fibre infrastructure costs to new developments (building I'm in is 2 years old) and in return have a monopoly over being the main ISP in the building. Probably seems like a good idea for developers to take the load off?

I wonder if they charge a R1700 installation fee for every tenant that moves in? I wasn't notified about this prior to moving in and/or wasn't mentioned in the contract.
The R1700 installation fee is meant to be once-off per property or flat. That fee covers your connection and the ONT, which will always belong to the FNO. If there is one there, then they have installed fibre before.

I wasn't notified about this prior to moving in and/or wasn't mentioned in the contract.
I would bring it up with your body corp at that point. Before you signed the contract there must have been discussion about internet access or fibre.

squirrel

Expert Member
A bit of an update.

I've tried several ISPs - none of who are interested in touching the FTTA network.

They also claim the unit has never had fibre installed, yet their terminal point is on the wall, plus I just found a "Fiber Ethernet Media Converter" in the cupboard which is used during their installations.

They said they're willing to be nice nice to me and waver the R1700 installation fee if I use them for 12 months (standard with other ISPs). But I'm puzzled how they are giving me a deal here when everything is already setup!

Super shady company, but I guess it's either them or rain 5g.

I've also brought this up with body corporate.

ghostRgg

A bit of an update.

I've tried several ISPs - none of who are interested in touching the FTTA network.

They also claim the unit has never had fibre installed, yet their terminal point is on the wall, plus I just found a "Fiber Ethernet Media Converter" in the cupboard which is used during their installations.

They said they're willing to be nice nice to me and waver the R1700 installation fee if I use them for 12 months (standard with other ISPs). But I'm puzzled how they are giving me a deal here when everything is already setup!

Super shady company, but I guess it's either them or rain 5g.

I've also brought this up with body corporate.
I mean, you could always try set it up yourself and see what errors or issues you get. But doesn't anybody else have fibre from them to test? Like another unit or something.

squirrel

Expert Member
Ended up caving in and getting a line with FTTA. Strangely enough, when they installed now I signed paperwork for Cybersmart Lightspeed - doesn't reference FTTA anywhere. Not sure if they have some exclusive agreement to be the third-party ISP for the building? I'm going to do a bit of digging and see what the story is.

Liam77

Have the same box outside my apartment block also for Cybersmart...

What's the speeds and stability like with them? I also had to cave in and go with them but now just waiting for them to come and install

squirrel

Expert Member
So I ordered 20mbps but got bumped to 50mbps (think they still doing line speed change). I'm getting about 13mbps on speedtest at the moment. Oh and the router credentials they gave me don't work.

Last edited:

squirrel

Expert Member
Spoke to a mate at an ISP, and he contacted Cybersmart. Confirmed that FTTA / Technolutions is the ONLY ISP that can be used in my building.

Liam77

So I ordered 20mbps but got bumped to 50mbps (think they still doing line speed change). I'm getting about 13mbps on speedtest at the moment. Oh and the router credentials they gave me don't work.
Yusus that is not promising :oops:

I'm still waiting for them to respond to my order I placed yesterday however they also waivered the connection fee of R1,700

squirrel

Expert Member
Yusus that is not promising :oops:

I'm still waiting for them to respond to my order I placed yesterday however they also waivered the connection fee of R1,700

Bitch at them and hopefully you will also get an upgrade! Will do another speed test once they've bumped up the line speed.

Liam77

Bitch at them and hopefully you will also get an upgrade! Will do another speed test once they've bumped up the line speed.
Good idea, just want them to get it installed and I'll take it from there. Hopefully all goes well

squirrel

Expert Member
Latest speed test this morning since being upgraded to 50mbps. Also received my first invoice - which came straight from Cybersmart. Just says FTTA is the account manager.

Attachments

• 11002341337.png
    11002341337.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 45

Liam77

Question on the above, is line speed 50/50 since being installed?

I'm still getting like 14/14 but am meant to get 20/20, not sure if its a Cybersmart thing?

Mackleless

Latest speed test this morning since being upgraded to 50mbps. Also received my first invoice - which came straight from Cybersmart. Just says FTTA is the account manager.
How has the line been over the last couple months? I've found myself in the same situation so now I am trying to decide between RAIN or FTTA.

Liam77

How has the line been over the last couple months? I've found myself in the same situation so now I am trying to decide between RAIN or FTTA.
Mine is much better now - FTTA is basically Cybersmart - my speeds I'm paying for are 20/20 but getting slightly better than that

1618249636754.png

Had Rain and it was good if there is only 1 device or user using the internet at a time but if you're using multiple devices at once it tends to struggle.

Mackleless

Do you game at all? If so how has it been? Also curious how did you get them to waive the connection fee? Wish I knew how Squirrel got the 50meg bump. It's just such a bummer to be paying R130 more than I would on Mweb for 10Meg slower speed.

I've been using Rain 4G uncapped for the last week, but that separate video throttling from the normal speed is a real bummer. I mean limiting streamed video to 360p in the year of our lord 2021, they've lost their minds.

Liam77

Do you game at all? If so how has it been? Also curious how did you get them to waive the connection fee? Wish I knew how Squirrel got the 50meg bump. It's just such a bummer to be paying R130 more than I would on Mweb for 10Meg slower speed.

I've been using Rain 4G uncapped for the last week, but that separate video throttling from the normal speed is a real bummer. I mean limiting streamed video to 360p in the year of our lord 2021, they've lost their minds.
Had the connection fee waived by FTTA if you say you will sign up for a minimum of a year (if you cancel before a year you then pay the fee).

I play Dota 2 and Rocket League and pings are very good - 20ms to local servers and about 150 - 160 to EU, I'm based in CPT. Prices are slightly higher but not much else you can do unfortunately.

Mackleless

Had the connection fee waived by FTTA if you say you will sign up for a minimum of a year (if you cancel before a year you then pay the fee).

I play Dota 2 and Rocket League and pings are very good - 20ms to local servers and about 150 - 160 to EU, I'm based in CPT. Prices are slightly higher but not much else you can do unfortunately.
Been finalising everything today. But wow this company is so full of BS. They actually forward teh R30 bank charge on to you. Like when I am signing up they say its R899 a month. And then as you get to the billing page there is an additional R30 a month fee. How cheap and scummy can they possibly get.

• Wow
Reactions: Yuu