Any news on Rain 5g?

Stevewarren

I recall that there was a story earlier in the year that Rain was going to launch commercial 5g in September.

e4et

Expert Member
New kid on the block Rain,the data-only network operator, is expected to go live with SA's first ultra-high speed 5G network in the next two weeks.

Rain announced in February that it had partnered with Chinese telecoms giant Huawei to launch the first 5G commercial network in the country. The network has been rolled out in Johannesburg and Cape Town, and the Sunday Times understands that Rain could start offering the service to business clients by mid-September.

Mr TL

They first need to sort out their congested 4G network before building a new one .

Stevewarren

They first need to sort out their congested 4G network before building a new one .
From what I understand that having people move over to 5g will ease congestion on there 4g network?

I didn't know they had a service for business clients.

davyb

A few years ago I would have been excited but as my experience with LTE has taught me that individuals experiences can be night and day. Also what will be the impact of congestion.? The best for me will be the hardwired experience even though I have never had access to Fibre and ADSL.

Swa

Honorary Master
From what I understand that having people move over to 5g will ease congestion on there 4g network?

I didn't know they had a service for business clients.
So many people seem to miss this point. It's like saying let's sort out gprs first before moving to hspa.

Afaik they don't.

Leno

Rain has 142MHz on the 3500MHz band which is what they will use for 5G i think

They have 49MHz on 1800 & 2600 MHz which they use for 4G

This combined with better modulation techniques of 5G (I assume), and smaller tower footprints should make things a lot better

You also wont be sharing the spectrum with the Vodacom roaming users

Though - the smaller tower footprints could be a problem where you are on the edge of the coverage (higher the frequency the less it goes through obstacles)

I assume this is why they are doing the trial in CT and JNB, where there is easier access to backhaul capacity