Any South African Indians who are former Pentecostal Christians here?

newjourno

I am a South African Indian and consider myself Agnostic. The reason why I have singled out South African Indian Pentecostal Churches is because I find them to be unique, firstly they are unique in that they seem to be readily willing to embrace western ideology and culture and reject anything that is non-western.

There is nothing particularly wrong with that and it is the individuals choice regarding what they want to do at the end of the day, but I get annoyed when they become judgmental towards other cultures and religions. I have also noticed that this group also tends to be the most judgmental among the South African Indian community towards other cultures. Hindu's for the most part are religious pluralists (i.e they believe all religions are true) while Muslims for the most part reject other religions and beliefs but do not bash, at least not openly and do not seek to convert. South African Indian Christians also in my experience tend to become very passionate when religion is discussed which is why I tended to avoid discussing my beliefs with them (even with the ones who I considered friends). That is why i want to know, are there any who left the religion and did their families take it well? I also want to know why exactly it is that they tend to target mainly Hindu's for conversion while avoiding other groups?

The South African Indian Pentecostal Churches also particularly target Hindu's for conversion and have been largely successful. If I am not mistaken, their percentage of the Indian community in SA was around 4% when Indians arrived here during the 1860's but is now around 25% and keeps increasing due to high rates of conversion. The reason for their success is not due to their community work as their Pastors may claim but more due to their critique of Hindu and other cultures. The Churches from my experience tend to be strongly influenced by American Pentecostal churches and I have even heard many South African Indian Christian apologists parrot many of the things which are said by American pentecostal apologists such as Ray Comfort, Ravi Zacharias etc.

Common ones include, though there are many more.

'' I did not come from a monkey''- when speaking about evolution.

'' The evidence of god is all around you''- a reference to intelligent design

'' Religion is man trying to find god, Christianity is god trying to find man''.

It is also noteworthy to mention that other Christian Churches (Catholic, Anglican etc) have not had much success in terms of converting. It is mainly the Pentecostal one which has.

Last edited:

Batista

Executive Member
I was brought up Hindu, but attended church when I stayed with my Catholic aunt atleast once every 2 months.
Currently I dont practise any religion but I have had quite a few friends who tried to convert me over the years.I never experienced the ridicule of Hinduism, but have heard many stories such as the one you mention.I think there is a huge push from the powers that be (Not God) to develop these churches(some of them look like nightclubs) and to convert people and it seems like they are succeeding.

It my be due to the fact that our customs are all passed down generation to generation with no actual explanation of what is going on and what is the purpose of this.Ritual practices in Hinduism can get very lengthy(Think Kavadi, general prayers at a house), and there is a whole lot to do in order to officially be recognaised by God, whereas in Christianity all you need is a bible and a prayer to communicate to God.Many of the people that I know do not like the actual ritual practices involved in Hinduism - maybe they want an easier religion to follow and this is where Christianity comes in.

newjourno

I was brought up Hindu, but attended church when I stayed with my Catholic aunt atleast once every 2 months.
Currently I dont practise any religion but I have had quite a few friends who tried to convert me over the years.I never experienced the ridicule of Hinduism, but have heard many stories such as the one you mention.I think there is a huge push from the powers that be (Not God) to develop these churches(some of them look like nightclubs) and to convert people and it seems like they are succeeding.

It my be due to the fact that our customs are all passed down generation to generation with no actual explanation of what is going on and what is the purpose of this.Ritual practices in Hinduism can get very lengthy(Think Kavadi, general prayers at a house), and there is a whole lot to do in order to officially be recognaised by God, whereas in Christianity all you need is a bible and a prayer to communicate to God.Many of the people that I know do not like the actual ritual practices involved in Hinduism - maybe they want an easier religion to follow and this is where Christianity comes in.

Okay, yes, exactly. Another thing could also be the fact that the Pentecostal Churches tend to use high-energy which will obviously appeal to them emotionally. Personally, I do feel that what they follow is more of a Western cult which uses the bible rather than actual Christianity which is a middle-eastern religion. Most of them do after all believe that Jesus was a white man and their pastors don't speak a word of Hebrew or Arahamic so obviously, they would not have a complete understanding of Christianity. I also know that some of the Christian women tend to suddenly get western accents when they speak about Christianity or sing gospel songs. I have questioned this with some of my close friends and we are divided as to whether it is fake or real accents.

I would just be interested to hear stories of Indian South African Christians who left the religion and how the family viewed it. I know that they are quite big on hell so I imagine that there will be a lot of hurdles involved and many are probably closeted Atheists.

Hindu's for the most part are very chilled, I know that I have never had a problem explaining my non-belief to them and the fact that so many of them leave their religion is obviously testament to the fact that they don't discriminate as much as other religions do. I have noticed recently though that some Hindu leaders and movements are becoming critical of Christianity and I do not blame them as they have tried to co-exist with Pentecostals for many years and yet many of the Pentecostals do continue to bash their culture behind closed doors.

Most of their criticisms of Christianity are also almost always academic and valid and they don't stoop to the levels of bigoted Christians i.e calling each other ''devil worshippers'' or saying that they ''will go to hell'' etc.

Shaun108

Executive Member
Most Christians I met were intolerant of me being a hindu. Hate the entire bunch of 'em who judge. Their churches are now mostly moneymaking schemes who leech off the poor congregants.

/gets out can of Doom

internaut

Humanity's approach to religion is changing, was always changing. Chistianity is continually evolving, changing. Slowly its turning to the intended vision of Jesus, just a way of love (life). No more buildings, no more tithes.

newjourno

Most Christians I met were intolerant of me being a hindu. Hate the entire bunch of 'em who judge. Their churches are now mostly moneymaking schemes who leech off the poor congregants.

/gets out can of Doom

I find the anti- Hindu sentiment to be mainly among Pentecostals. Sadly, the Pentecostal Churches do have a big influence among the South African Indian community. This same community will get riled up if you slap them with some Richard Dawkins or Neil Degrasse Tyson logic and most of them are young earth creationists who reject evolution altogether.

I have family who are Catholic and Anglican. Though they are fanatics, they have more of a Muslim type approach to Hinduism (i.e leave us alone and we will leave you alone).

ShaunyCT

It's sad to see how various religions bashes with each other. We all come from the same God. We just have different ways of worshiping Him. But then we need to remember Man has created religion, not God.

God did not say you must be Hindu, Christian, Muslims, Jews etc. We decided ourselves to create our own. That's why religions are not perfect.

Techne

Honorary Master
What do you mean by "western ideology and culture"? There are different ideas of what it represents.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Converting to Christianity these says is really a case of betting on the wrong horse

ShaunyCT

Let me take a wild guess - you don't believe in theory of evolution, right?
Correct, we were not monkeys/apes thousands/millions/billions/trillions/kazillions years ago.

Unfortunately there are Powers That Be that has created Pseudo Science by abusing the word theory. In this case they use the word Theory as a replacement for the term Lie. They know for a fact that there was no evolution of man, so they used the word Theory so that it could never be said that they were lying.
I do believe that there are various REAL theories in the science world which are "honorable" which can be used and accepted for instance Quantum theory.

surface

Executive Member
Correct, we were not monkeys/apes thousands/millions/billions/trillions/kazillions years ago.
Sure, what is your alternative conclusion? I am too mortified/petrified to use "theory" for fear of getting you heart attack.

ShaunyCT

Sure, what is your alternative conclusion? I am too mortified/petrified to use "theory" for fear of getting you heart attack.
Lol, I can take it like a man. :)

We are all curious as humans, therefore we always wonder about everything around us and inside us. There is nothing wrong with it, so we create theories as to experiments we have done and thought to be true.

I can assume that perhaps the person that started the theory of evolution has got to these conclusions because of his findings. However there are these guys who knows what is true, but do not want the general public to find out, so they create new Theories or use old theories that they found to be wrong and keep it the way it was.

As far as I am concern, we had a Creator. There also seems to be, according to The dead sea scrolls, other humans has been on earth, BEFORE Adam and Eve.

I used to consume everything that I was taught by science, however since i realized there are Pseudo Science as well, I have decided to take certain things with a pinch of salt.