Any Wondernet (used to be Seacom) clients on here?

Mypro-D

Expert Member
Yeah, me too. Sometimes also time out then come back. trace routes seem dodge too.
Will see what tomorrow brings.

Anthro

Expert Member
So apparently SEACOM is down again for iSquared @crackedatom ?

Your Exco are all on leave, so I cannot lodge my complaint with anyone.
Times up.

valiente

I am looking at changing Fibre providers - Currently with Nepic R1499 for 100mbps up and down with static IP.

Does anyone know if seacom provides static IP's? Also how has the service been of late?

Grubscrew

Expert Member
I am looking at changing Fibre providers - Currently with Nepic R1499 for 100mbps up and down with static IP.

Does anyone know if seacom provides static IP's? Also how has the service been of late?
Well, I must be honest Seacom appears to be better sofar than Macrolan. My support interactions are good and issues get resolved.

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
Latency to international is a bit higher due to the international cable breaks.

International speed tests are rubbish. Actually downloading something internationally is a little slower than normal but still fast.

Decent support too.

mrudling

Morning gents. Anyone else down completely today? Pppoe not establishing a connection?

8BitLife

335 ping to SA Dota servers but 170 ping to EU West server...Seacom or issue with Dora server?

cantankerous

335 ping to SA Dota servers but 170 ping to EU West server...Seacom or issue with Dora server?

This is what happens when an ISP thinks they’re above all other networks and decides to de-peer. They screw over their own clients. You’re connecting via international routes to locally hosted networks because your ISP chose to de-peer them.

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
Please give IP's of the local dota servers in question. I found some online and was getting 2ms to them from JHB on Macrolan. Not sure if I was looking at the right addresses.

8BitLife

This is what happens when an ISP thinks they’re above all other networks and decides to de-peer. They screw over their own clients. You’re connecting via international routes to locally hosted networks because your ISP chose to de-peer them.
Got a little overzealous with that response huh? Turns out it was not just a Seacom issue. Two friends who game with me, but on mobile MTN connections, were experiencing the same issues. We all had to switch to Vodacom connections in the end.

cantankerous

Got a little overzealous with that response huh? Turns out it was not just a Seacom issue. Two friends who game with me, but on mobile MTN connections, were experiencing the same issues. We all had to switch to Vodacom connections in the end.

Not in the slightest. MTN are also restrictive peers. Add SAIX to that list. That’s why Telkom Internet is rubbish. Once again making life **** for their clients. Just because they’re big doesn’t mean they’re better. Vodacom peer openly. Hell, even IS opened up.

It’s 2020. Not 1920. Seacom, SAIX and MTN need to get their heads out the gutter and open up. It’s not about traffic volumes.

Remember your issue here is you’re on an ISP who is actually a wholesaler and doesn’t know which side of the bread to butter.

8BitLife

Not in the slightest. MTN are also restrictive peers. Add SAIX to that list. That’s why Telkom Internet is rubbish. Once again making life **** for their clients. Just because they’re big doesn’t mean they’re better. Vodacom peer openly. Hell, even IS opened up.

It’s 2020. Not 1920. Seacom, SAIX and MTN need to get their heads out the gutter and open up. It’s not about traffic volumes.

Remember your issue here is you’re on an ISP who is actually a wholesaler and doesn’t know which side of the bread to butter.
Well if that is true, I guess I owe you an apology.

8BitLife

Seacom's response after sending netstat and tracert info:

Good morning

As discussed, and shown in the screenshot, we observe no latency concerns to the IP's provided.

We also note no latency or service issues on any other general services and destinations.

Your netstat shows IP's 184.87.168.9:80 (akamai) to which we pick up no latency, and 52.156.204.185:443 (Microsoft) where we pick up latency of 200ms from 104.44.20.207 (Microsoft outside our network we have no control over)

As such, at this point we can not assist further without the definite IP address you are connecting to in-game, and even then we can only control up to the point where this leaves our network as we have no control over peering and/or routing outside our network as this will be up to the destination IP to resolve.

....The issue is on their side. Don't have the same issue on Vodacom connection and don't see people on other ISPs complaining about it. But if they just gonna say 'tough luck, nothing we can do' then I guess I will be moving to a different ISP.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Seacom's response after sending netstat and tracert info:

Good morning

As discussed, and shown in the screenshot, we observe no latency concerns to the IP's provided.

We also note no latency or service issues on any other general services and destinations.

Your netstat shows IP's 184.87.168.9:80 (akamai) to which we pick up no latency, and 52.156.204.185:443 (Microsoft) where we pick up latency of 200ms from 104.44.20.207 (Microsoft outside our network we have no control over)

As such, at this point we can not assist further without the definite IP address you are connecting to in-game, and even then we can only control up to the point where this leaves our network as we have no control over peering and/or routing outside our network as this will be up to the destination IP to resolve.

....The issue is on their side. Don't have the same issue on Vodacom connection and don't see people on other ISPs complaining about it. But if they just gonna say 'tough luck, nothing we can do' then I guess I will be moving to a different ISP.
it's clear they are not interested in last mile problems.

8BitLife

Clearly they realised they need to be interested in last mile problems when I said I want to cancel my subscription:

We require 1-month calendar notice, and an official request being sent to cancellationswc@seacom.com.

Having said the above and with valid reason, please understand that we have now had a few reports on the same issue (RE: Valve/Steam issues) which we are busy addressing with the provider directly.

No ETA for resolution, but this is being dealt with as a matter of urgency.

8BitLife

Aparently been fixed:

Good morning

We have received confirmation from Valve that routing has been restored.

Please test your end and advise soonest?

(Not happy with how they handled the issue initially but they might have saved their reputation with their damage control)