Anybody order from Joom?

viper13

Hi all.

My girls downloaded the Joom app and they are all excited about the prices. Naturally I am very cautious when things sound too good to be true so I would first like to hear if anybody has ordered from these guys before and if so, what was the experience?

Thanks all.

Hi all.

My girls downloaded the Joom app and they are all excited about the prices. Naturally I am very cautious when things sound too good to be true so I would first like to hear if anybody has ordered from these guys before and if so, what was the experience?

Thanks all.
I saw it on facebook yesterday. Someone was happy about the prices on the hoodies. PLS PLS PLS be warned that tax on imported clothing is INSANE!

viper13

I saw it on facebook yesterday. Someone was happy about the prices on the hoodies. PLS PLS PLS be warned that tax on imported clothing is INSANE!
Please forgive my ignorance and innocence. :) But how much would the tax and any duties be on say a clothing item of R150 or thereabouts? Just want to get a rough idea as I advised my girls to try ordering a single small item and test out the process and quality first.

Please forgive my ignorance and innocence. :) But how much would the tax and any duties be on say a clothing item of R150 or thereabouts? Just want to get a rough idea as I advised my girls to try ordering a single small item and test out the process and quality first.
It might have changed, but I think you're looking at: 10% custom fees, 45% customs duty (clothing) and then 14% VAT.

So let's assume R 1 000
10% of R 1 000 = R 100
45% of R 1 000 = R 450

So R 1 550 + 14% vat = R 1767.00

So about R 767.00 in fees or around 76.70% above the normal price.

*Just check what the current rates are.*

viper13

It might have changed, but I think you're looking at: 10% custom fees, 45% customs duty (clothing) and then 14% VAT.

So let's assume R 1 000
10% of R 1 000 = R 100
45% of R 1 000 = R 450

So R 1 550 + 14% vat = R 1767.00

So about R 767.00 in fees or around 76.70% above the normal price.

*Just check what the current rates are.*

Bugger me, I thought rape was illegal. This will leave me feeling like a victim.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to my girls so that they can have their first experience with the government.

Bugger me, I thought rape was illegal. This will leave me feeling like a victim.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to my girls so that they can have their first experience with the government.
You could still make a killing. But bear the tax implications in mind. There are bargain to be imported but make sure it's really worth the hassle as opposed to just buying local. :)

beamo320

I ordered some random junk from them just to test, Paypal works. Expected delivery date is 2 months away... luckily I didn't order anything I need in the near future :whistling:

Will reply here again when I receive my items or any of the dreaded "late delivery/stock procurement problems" messages

FYI
I didn't order any clothing items

I've also just placed an order on Joom, & as far as I can tell there shouldn't be any added taxes or fees added...
even ''shipping'' is included in the quoted price & since you're paying upfront & not C.O.D I'm pretty sure their prices may just be as Incredible as they seem...
>> so let's hold thumbs!!

Ravensguy

I've orded stuff from joom as well and I'm still sitting wirh none of my stuff and it's says it's in my country haven't been contacted or anything its been 53days already I've been waiting my advice is rather use someone like wish they more trusting than joom

ands45

I have downloaded the app but from what I have seen you can generally find the same products at the same prices as on Ebay, and at least Ebay has trusted Ebay protection for when the item doesn't arrive.

I have order a number of smaller items of ebay and had to get 3 of them refunded after waiting over 2 months for them to arrive. Each time the money was refunded almost instantly after logging the claim. That's just my opinion but would love to hear others experiences

I ordered 2 watches and a credit card holder to test this out, it is now 69 days since I placed my order. They say I must wait for 75 days and if still hasn't arrived then I can claim a full refund, we will wait and see.

beans100

Honorary Master
How are they different from Wish and Geek?

Seemslike you don't need a local China Town anymore, there's a new virtual China Towns opening up every day. Can't keep up.

Konium

Hi, I ordered some goods to test. I'm on day 54 of waiting. It's terrible though for an order to take so long regardless of the price. I'm already anticipating a fund.

Kriek2012

Good day
Please remember that shipping from China to SA take about 1 week. Then our orders get stuck in Customs and SAPO. Our own Country are the guilty party of orders taking so long to get to the delivery address.

AnnieBee

DONT DO IT!!!

Hi guys,

Placed my order with Joom on the 15th of October, a whole 28 products!!! Yeah me so supper excited, till this morning where I went to collect my first package from the post office. It was a nice Hair Clip For Ponytail Bouffant I ordered nothing fancy at the time I ordered and it was only R12, and to my shock they charged me R24 at the post office in order to get it and just to add to that little cherry on the cake it doesn't look like the hair clip I ordered...... In short and sweet guys yes they have some weird, wow that will be cool to have things on their website but in theory if I took the R36 spent on this hair clip I could have just gone to any Dischem, see the product I would like and buy it there and then!! Don't believe the whole free shipping!!! What I Ordered.JPG 20171108_102015.jpg

Mark.123

I ordered a projector from joom...they sent me a cable which i could have gotten locally for half the price claiming that i ordered only the cable..i would advise everybody to stay away from these swines

Mark.123

Stay away from these swines...you will not get what you order..also they not really that cheap...i ordered a projector from them..ended up getting a cable...they claim that is what i ordered...could have gotten this stupid cable for half price locally