Anybody signed up with Tymebank?

tin4444

@TymeGuy welcome back, do you have an expected time frame for the facial recognition on the kiosks?

Without fingerprints at Home Affairs I am stuck at the “just met” profile which as you know is limiting what I can do and can’t do at the moment.

So I went to fill up at BP this morning, and the POS device did not have the option at all to manually insert the smartshopper number.
Just spoke to the call centre(my first time) and they are extremely inefficient and willing to help.
@TymeGuy how do I claim my smartshopper points?

Dups!

These guys need to sort out their teething problems asap. I didn't experience any problems opening the account but the fact that I am still waiting for my card and that they don't have any kiosk in my area is concerning.

JOEY_8

Had no issues with the Kiosk at Pavilion. Got my card and everything is sorted. Didn't notice any ambassadors though so some people might not know how to operate it.

Muks

Note, there is an issue with the goal save limits:

The maximum amount of money you can add to your GoalSaves cannot be more than R100 000 in total across up to 10 GoalSaves (assuming you are on the "Good friends" profile).

Currently it seems that withdrawals are not taken into account when calculating the contribution limit e.g.
- Deposit 46k into a Goal Save
- Withdraw the 46k (plus any interest) from the Goal Save
- Deposit 54k into a new Goal Save
- Try to deposit more into the Goal Save and you get the error Goal-based saving cap Limit Exceeded even though you are below the 100k limit

I have logged this issue with the call centre.
No feedback yet on the goalsave contribution issue that was mentioned.
Referring to this issue? I have not got any feedback from the call I logged @TymeGuy

Hi guys

Thank you all for the feedback you continue to provide - especially those of you who take the trouble to detail your experiences and provide us with suggestions. I'm going to try to address the specific questions you've raised since my last post:

Foreign currency transactions
We don't currently support eCommerce or foreign currency transactions. We're working on local eCommerce support.

Smart Shopper @ BP
We don't yet officially support Smart Shopper at BP. The technical reason for this is that although we've gone to great lengths to have our TymeBank Visa Debit card emulate the blue Smart Shopper card, the Smart Shopper number is encoded in "track 3" on the magstripe on the TymeBank card (it's on track 2 on a blue Smart Shopper card). Visa dictates what data is stored in track 2 and we were therefore not able to store the Smart Shopper number on this track. Development is required on BP's systems to ensure the forecourt POS devices are able to read both the TymeBank cards and the blue Smart Shopper cards.

If you use your TymeBank card to purchase fuel, you'll earn 1SS/R3 from TymeBank (this earn rate applies to all transactions outside of PnP, and applies to transactions inside PnP if the TymeBank card isn't also swiped as a Smart Shopper card). Some BP service stations use POS devices that support manual Smart Shopper number capture - if the Smart Shopper number is successfully captured (it's a 16 digit number, so finger-trouble is pretty likely), then PnP will also award 20SS/litre (PnP have indicated that this will likely drop to 10SS/litre in March).

To avoid the risk that a given fuel station is unable to capture the Smart Shopper number manually, we recommend that customers use their blue Smart Shopper card for PnP Smart Shopper earn until such time as TymeBank provides official support. If in doubt regarding any element of the TymeBank proposition, please check out the www.tymebank.co.za website.

Fingerprint authentication for SmartApp
This would indeed be awesome :)

Although we don't support biometric login for the SmartApp, on many handsets that support biometric authentication, it is possible to use this to auto-populate a username and password. Many TymeBank staff use this, along with a desktop shortcut to https://bank.tymedigital.co.za (the internet banking login page) to quickly and safely login with biometrics. This works particularly well on iPhones. Our Internet Banking site look and feel mirrors the SmartApp - please try it out and give us feedback.

Reason for limits
We apply profile and transactional limits to mitigate risk - for the bank and for our customers. The more we know about you, the lower the risk. If we're able to verify your identity with biometrics, we're more comfortable that you are who you say you are (and aren't an identity thief attempting to commit fraud, or a money launderer channeling funds through accounts held in someone else's name).

For a detailed explanation please visit: https://www.tymebank.co.za/legal/terms-conditions/ and navigate to "Banking Products" -> "Relationship profiles"

TymeBank kiosks
We have >300 Bank kiosks operational, and their performance continues to improve day by day. Over a thousand new customers join TymeBank every day... and we haven't even "launched" yet!

In some stores we are struggling with connectivity issues which result in (infuriating) timeouts and spinning circles on the kiosk. This, in turn, sometimes results in banking profiles that haven't been fully created (e.g. lack of login credentials, or no card). Our techies are working hard to find solutions. We apologise wholeheartedly for the inconvenience this is causing.

By the end of next week, we will have implemented a range of changes and tweaks to the kiosk onboarding process. These changes will mean that customers have a far higher probability of walking away from our kiosks with a card in hand, and an operational bank account. Facial recognition is being tested, but we will only take this live once we are satisfied that the process is robust and that all the risks are adequately mitigated.

Issues with GoalSave
It's great to see the extent that our customers see value in GoalSave. You guys have picked up 2 issues:
  1. Withdrawals "erode" the GoalSave limit - i.e. if you have a R100k GoalSave limit and fund an account with R10k, and another account with R90k, and then withdraw the R10k, the system prevents you from topping up the R90k account (or any other GoalSave). We're aware of this issue and a fix should be in place very soon.
  2. Display issues (negative interest, interest and capital mixed up etc.) - this is not an issue we were aware of (it appears to only impact a handful of customers). We're investigating and will ensure we address this. Rest assured that we're a fully regulated bank - your money is 100% safe, and the balances (capital, interest) on our core banking platform are correct.

Have a great weekend!

TymeGuy

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Withdrawals "erode" the GoalSave limit - i.e. if you have a R100k GoalSave limit and fund an account with R10k, and another account with R90k, and then withdraw the R10k, the system prevents you from topping up the R90k account (or any other GoalSave). We're aware of this issue and a fix should be in place very soon.
Glad it's not designed this way. :)

Antelope

@TymeGuy

Could you perhaps advise if you are planning on offering international usage on your visa debit cards?

If so, what's a possible time frame within which your debit cards would be able to be swiped internationally?

Aharon

Executive Member
@TymeGuy

Could you perhaps advise if you are planning on offering international usage on your visa debit cards?

If so, what's a possible time frame within which your debit cards would be able to be swiped internationally?
Also time frame for e-commerce... Probably the biggest negative right now

evilskaap

Expert Member
Finally received a working card after the 5th attempt. Couldnt actually test it because all my money was already allocated to goalsaves