Anybody signed up with Tymebank?

FlashSA

Executive Member
Can't believe you guys are willing to put up with this declined BS. If other banks auto reverse declined funds, why can't Thyme Bank get it right. For a digital bank they're a bunch of amateurs.

I'll continue to follow things in this thread but my Thyme Bank card has been moved to the very back of my wallet and I've only left a Rand in each savings account - all other funds long removed and I'm back with my Capitec+VMCC combo....

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Can't believe you guys are willing to put up with this declined BS. If other banks auto reverse declined funds, why can't Thyme Bank get it right. For a digital bank they're a bunch of amateurs.

I'll continue to follow things in this thread but my Thyme Bank card has been moved to the very back of my wallet and I've only left a Rand in each savings account - all other funds long removed and I'm back with my Capitec+VMCC combo....
No way I would use it as a main account, especially since they can't verify my details with Home Affairs and there is no alternative process to up my limits. Even if I was unlimited I would just use it for savings.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I've been trying to activate the Tyme Bank banking app on my Galaxy S7 Edge this whole morning and it does not send the OTP after the screen where you put in the ID number. I called the agent and they say everything works on their side.

Anyone had a similar issue with this?
It me about 5 tries to get the app to work, but that was back in November before the official launch.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Wouldn't matter if all your card swipes is on the CC. My problem is I can't stand the VMCC IB so using the Capitec CC currently till Tyme trials theirs later this year.

Kano

It me about 5 tries to get the app to work, but that was back in November before the official launch.
I still cannot activate the online banking app. Will have to keep trying I suppose until it works.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Just phoned the call center now (managed to get through to someone quickly so that was positive) to query progress on my "declined but still charged" thing from Saturday which I logged then and gave them more docs to prove it was declined yesterday (the till slip). "Investigation is still underway and will be complete by 22nd" .... I pressed them that is unacceptable but was told that's how it is. Person said they are aware of this general issue and it is a problem with some of their cards ... okaaaay.
So I'm now out of R581.90 until they investigate a DECLINED transaction, wow.
When was just my Smartshopper linking was willing to wait and give them chance to sort (which they did) ... but now is real cash I'm out of pocket ... dunno how long I'm going to be using the bank if this is how it works. Never had a single transaction in my life ever decline before.

Aharon

Executive Member
Just phoned the call center now (managed to get through to someone quickly so that was positive) to query progress on my "declined but still charged" thing from Saturday which I logged then and gave them more docs to prove it was declined yesterday (the till slip). "Investigation is still underway and will be complete by 22nd" .... I pressed them that is unacceptable but was told that's how it is. Person said they are aware of this general issue and it is a problem with some of their cards ... okaaaay.
When was just my Smartshopper linking was willing to wait and give them chance to sort (which they did) ... but now is real cash I'm out of pocket ... dunno how long I'm going to be using the bank if this is how it works. Never had a single transaction in my life ever decline before.
Have you received an sms with your dispute number?

Antelope

You are still quite lucky that it's only a single decline.

I had 3 consecutive declines which were charged for and took a few days to be refunded.

They will tell you to continue checking your account to see if the refund is processed, after a day or two after the refund I received an sms stating that only 2 were going to be refunded not the third, but all 3 were luckily refunded.

Antelope

No, haven't got that, but I have a case reference no. which she looked up and could see the info I had submitted etc.
For each decline I received an sms stating that it is being investigated together with a different reference number from the one the call center provides.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Check a bit later. Reckon it should be back
Just got an email and SMS saying they have approved the reversal of the declined transaction, logged in and funds have indeed been reversed. Whew. Hope that is a once off.

Aharon

Executive Member
Just got an email and SMS saying they have approved the reversal of the declined transaction, logged in and funds have indeed been reversed. Whew. Hope that is a once off.
Great. I'm sure it's a relief.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Not sure why you guys are getting declines like this. It's been AGES since I got a decline. Way back like January or December I think and then it happened once where money was deducted but instantly reversed.

Swa

Honorary Master
Aaah, it's been there for a while I believe.
It was mentioned somewhere by them that you could get one or two for free. I don't think however they've finalised when you'd be charged so while these issues are ongoing it may be free.

This is what I don't understand. I've never been charged for a declined transaction first of all. So I don't understand how that even happens. Then in the case where a terminal does a double transaction other banks would reverse the second usually immediately.

This whole issue doesn't make sense. Transactions aren't even supposed to be processed but just reserved. It's up to the merchant provider to then charge the transaction a day or two later.

Antelope

It was mentioned somewhere by them that you could get one or two for free. I don't think however they've finalised when you'd be charged so while these issues are ongoing it may be free.

This is what I don't understand. I've never been charged for a declined transaction first of all. So I don't understand how that even happens. Then in the case where a terminal does a double transaction other banks would reverse the second usually immediately.

This whole issue doesn't make sense. Transactions aren't even supposed to be processed but just reserved. It's up to the merchant provider to then charge the transaction a day or two later.
I don't think it happens often.
But when it does happen, previously Tymes systems were quite good at automatically reversing it immediately, but they changed something that caused this frustration when it does happen. They probably have reason for what they are doing, but I think they have declined a bit in this aspect.
As with everything else, they are probably working on improving it also.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Not sure why you guys are getting declines like this. It's been AGES since I got a decline. Way back like January or December I think and then it happened once where money was deducted but instantly reversed.
Saturday was the 1st one I've ever had and also been using the card almost daily. This one was an anomaly for me in that I did a purchase and cash back at same time, normally just do 1 or the other. In future will probably just split them into 2 transactions. I'm going to be quite upset if it happens again.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Saturday was the 1st one I've ever had and also been using the card almost daily. This one was an anomaly for me in that I did a purchase and cash back at same time, normally just do 1 or the other. In future will probably just split them into 2 transactions. I'm going to be quite upset if it happens again.
Honestly I will switch to another bank if I had to submit "proof" that the transaction declined and way for days to get my money back. 2 times would be way to many times tbh.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Honestly I will switch to another bank if I had to submit "proof" that the transaction declined and way for days to get my money back. 2 times would be way to many times tbh.
Yeah it was very annoying but I'm willing to let it happen that once, but if it happens again I'll seriously consider changing away, even though I did move to Tyme for cost savings if it is costing me more in time, phone calls and grey hairs it isn't worth it.

blunt

Expert Member
Anyone know if online transactions are enabled yet?

My profile is stuck to the 50k/100k limit because the address the system came up for me was incorrect (old address from 4 years ago) so I typed it in manually. According to more than 1 support person it's simply not possible to get myself onto the top-tier KYC level - but I must "watch this space".

My wife's account is also in her maiden name because their system only found that despite us being married in 2014 and her changing her name/ID etc. also in 2014. They require a certified marriage certificate to change that.

Not sure why they have "officially launched" without a function to change someones address - not even back office.