Anybody signed up with Tymebank?

Swa

Honorary Master
Anyone know if online transactions are enabled yet?

My profile is stuck to the 50k/100k limit because the address the system came up for me was incorrect (old address from 4 years ago) so I typed it in manually. According to more than 1 support person it's simply not possible to get myself onto the top-tier KYC level - but I must "watch this space".

My wife's account is also in her maiden name because their system only found that despite us being married in 2014 and her changing her name/ID etc. also in 2014. They require a certified marriage certificate to change that.

Not sure why they have "officially launched" without a function to change someones address - not even back office.
I'm not sure why they launched at all without a manual backup system. Electronic verification simply doesn't work. I hope BankZero doesn't go this same route.

@Zaeem

Does anybody have details of the allocation of smart shopper points?

I seem to have received R2 in points for March for over R5k of non-PnP spend which doesnt add up.
Received the remainder of my smart shopper points for March today.

Thanks Tyme bank!

Anyone know if online transactions are enabled yet?

My profile is stuck to the 50k/100k limit because the address the system came up for me was incorrect (old address from 4 years ago) so I typed it in manually. According to more than 1 support person it's simply not possible to get myself onto the top-tier KYC level - but I must "watch this space".

My wife's account is also in her maiden name because their system only found that despite us being married in 2014 and her changing her name/ID etc. also in 2014. They require a certified marriage certificate to change that.

Not sure why they have "officially launched" without a function to change someones address - not even back office.
Also changed my surname in 2014. Tyme uses my old one.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Sorry TymeBank, after sorting this out I'm no longer using your services.
You clearly have issues that are affecting people.
You are messing with people's hard earned money here, you need to ensure your systems work !!!
Is pointless using a bank with no/low fees etc. and then just end up paying (probably more) back on that in phone calls to sort out problems than just using a trusted bank. Forget the annoyance factor too.

Story goes:

In the past week I've had 2 declined transactions. Unacceptable. Last week's got reversed but shouldn't have happened in 1st place.
Been using the bank and card almost daily for a good 3 months now this starts.

Friday morning I go to Checkers to do my shopping. Use Tymebank card to pay for my R122.50 shop, yes massive amount, last week was more, but if the money comes off my a/c I expect my goods. Not the retailers fault, TymeBank needs to wake up.
Declined. FFS !!!
On till screen says declined and to call the bank. I ask the teller and supervisor for a slip, I'm told "their system doesn't print slip when it is declined", so was out of luck, in hindsight I should have taken a photo of the screen (if they would let me) I guess.
I hadn't got a SMS so I thought "cool this hasn't gone through", and use my normal SA bank account which never ever ever declines to pay.
Leave the shops and then few min later I get the SMS saying the transaction went through. NO NO NO !!
Was close by so went back to confirm with manager if they can't give me anything off system to show declined, nope they can't.

I call TymeBank (so now phone call costs ...) and explain, very friendly agent "tells me they had system outage and some transactions were declined automatically some not and were needed to be fixed manually and would be done by the end of the day".
Powerless, and livid now with TymeBank, I think "OK I'll give them chance" and expect my money back. Later in the day I get a SMS saying my case no. had been resolved. Umm .... no it hasn't !!!
Check my internet banking, no change. Now I'm more annoyed, but can't get back to them then as was busy with other things.

I wait until Saturday morning and check my a/c again and still no reversal.
Call them again (more phone call charges ... grrr) and give case and info again.
Was told the same info (about system outage) and maybe mine never got picked up (so why did I get the SMS then ... did someone just assume mine was included and sorted without checking - probably ????) and will need to be reversed manually by Card Ops team ... oh oh ... them again ... the team that asked me for all the info last week, now I don't even have proof to send them my transaction was declined, so I wonder if it will be a my word vs theirs. Oh and I'm told, they Card Ops team may only be able to look at this on Tuesday after the long weekend, so sorry nothing more they can do to help.

I started using TymeBank end of last year as they looked good and as a disruptor of the SA banking system, I was keen for it to be my new banking "home" (even though they don't do online transactions etc. - so would be my "2nd home").
Since then been punting the services and what is offered to friends. No sure if any of them have signed up. Will need to apologise to them as I am not going to be using them anymore and won't recommend them either.
If your posts you say "and make us your primary bank" ... not a chance !!!

@TymeBank @TymeGuy if you feel like looking into this for me and trying to convince me to stay with your bank do DM me and I'll gladly provide you with the reference no for the case.

You are messing with people's hard earned money here, you need to ensure your systems work !!!
Is pointless using a bank with no/low fees etc. and then just end up paying (probably more) back on that in phone calls to sort out problems than just using a trusted bank. Forget the annoyance factor too.

Story goes:

In the past week I've had 2 declined transactions. Unacceptable. Last week's got reversed but shouldn't have happened in 1st place.

Friday morning I go to Checkers to do my shopping. Use Tymebank card to pay for my R122.50 shop, yes massive amount, last week was more, but if the money comes off my a/c I expect my goods. Not the retailers fault, TymeBank needs to wake up.
Declined. FFS !!!
On till screen says declined and to call the bank. I ask the teller and supervisor for a slip, I'm told "their system doesn't print slip when it is declined", so was out of luck, in hindsight I should have taken a photo of the screen (if they would let me) I guess.
I hadn't got a SMS so I thought "cool this hasn't gone through", and use my normal SA bank account which never ever ever declines to pay.
Leave the shops and then few min later I get the SMS saying the transaction went through. NO NO NO !!
Was close by so went back to confirm with manager if they can't give me anything off system to show declined, nope they can't.

I call TymeBank (so now phone call costs ...) and explain, very friendly agent "tells me they had system outage and some transactions were declined automatically some not and were needed to be fixed manually and would be done by the end of the day".
Powerless, and livid now with TymeBank, I think "OK I'll give them chance" and expect my money back. Later in the day I get a SMS saying my case no. had been resolved. Umm .... no it hasn't !!!
Check my internet banking, no change. Now I'm more annoyed, but can't get back to them then as was busy with other things.

Call them again (more phone call charges ... grrr) and give case and info again.
Was told the same info (about system outage) and maybe mine never got picked up (so why did I get the SMS then ... did someone just assume mine was included and sorted without checking - probably ????) and will need to be reversed manually by Card Ops team ... oh oh ... them again ... the team that asked me for all the info last week, now I don't even have proof to send them my transaction was declined, so I wonder if it will be a my word vs theirs. Oh and I'm told, they Card Ops team may only be able to look at this on Tuesday after the long weekend, so sorry nothing more they can do to help.

I started using TymeBank end of last year as they looked good and as a disruptor of the SA banking system, I was keen for it to be my new banking "home" (even though they don't do online transactions etc. - so would be my "2nd home").
Since then been punting the services and what is offered to friends. No sure if any of them have signed up. Will need to apologise to them as I am not going to be using them anymore and won't recommend them either.

@TymeBank @TymeGuy if you feel like looking into this for me and trying to convince me to stay with your bank do DM me and I'll gladly provide you with the reference no for the case.
Also struggling for longer than a week now to get money refunded which showed declined. Closed my goalsaves today and transferred everything away from Tyme. Will refer the declined issue to the ombudsman seeing that I've been more than patient enough waiting for my money. The benefits of using Tyme Bank are now outweighed by the growing risks.

cavedog

Honorary Master

Story goes:

Declined. FFS !!!

Wow you are really getting the bad side of things. I have yet to experience something like this. I have my Old Mutual account on stand by because I can't use a bank that can't get things right.

Old Mutual money account is decent as it supports online buying has an app and allows you to deposit money with a credit card on the app which is really nice if someone needs to pay you now you run their card and loads money into your account.

The only thing that is currently stopping me from just using the old Mutual account as my main is the fact that my tyme card has not declined yet and the pnp smart shopper points I'm earning. I earn quite a bit of smart shopper points which offsets some of the fees I do pay so I will be losing that.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Maybe the times my declines happened (on Saturday last time or Good Friday) were bad timing to getting the money back quick and easily. I'll see how this goes and then decide if I do maybe keep Tyme in my life as I do like the low fees and the Smartshopper points adding up helps a little but as well ... but ... I'm hesitant, so will play it by ear.

My experience may not be the same as everyones, I was reading in the past about people having issues and thought "wow - I'm lucky and pleased wasn't me" - guess everyone has to make up their own mind. I'm not sure how many people are getting these issues, obviously we only read/hear about the ones who are on MyBB so could be just bad luck on my side. Who knows.

I did feel a bit better/calmer after my posting (ok ... I'll call it a rant) after typing it all out.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah but still @MikeCTZA it's not right. You are not supposed to follow up like this and why is this declines happening and seems to only a few people?

And to the guys only using the goalsaves I don't think the swiping issue is a concern because when you withdraw a goalsave you are probably going to transfer it out not swipe it out. So the goalsaves is still an attractive option.