Anybody signed up with Tymebank?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Pity. Thought it was getting ready to launch
Yeah literally the only thing keeping me with Tyme bank is the no monthly fee, goalsaves and pnp points. If it wasn't for that I would probably just have sticked with Old Mutual as their money account offers some interesting features too.

*cash deposit at till with card and wicode
*load funds into account with credit card on the app.
*online purchases both local and international
*tapnpay card and card features like switching tapnpay off and on or switch card on and off in the app as well as additional cards.
*linked savings account

So I signed up with Tymebank. I'm assuming they used my ID to auto link to my existing smartshopper account because I can't find where to link it or even if it has been, correct?

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
So I signed up with Tymebank. I'm assuming they used my ID to auto link to my existing smartshopper account because I can't find where to link it or even if it has been, correct?
Easiest is to swipe with your yellow TymeBank card at the PnP Smartshopper kiosk, if it logs you in and all looks OK with deals etc. then you are set. If it gives any error you're screwed and will be masses of pain to get it linked correctly.

Aharon

Executive Member
Easiest is to swipe with your yellow TymeBank card at the PnP Smartshopper kiosk, if it logs you in and all looks OK with deals etc. then you are set. If it gives any error you're screwed and will be masses of pain to get it linked correctly.
Precisely!

TymeBank

Sorry TymeBank, after sorting this out I'm no longer using your services.
You clearly have issues that are affecting people.
You are messing with people's hard earned money here, you need to ensure your systems work !!!
Is pointless using a bank with no/low fees etc. and then just end up paying (probably more) back on that in phone calls to sort out problems than just using a trusted bank. Forget the annoyance factor too.

Story goes:

In the past week I've had 2 declined transactions. Unacceptable. Last week's got reversed but shouldn't have happened in 1st place.
Been using the bank and card almost daily for a good 3 months now this starts.

Friday morning I go to Checkers to do my shopping. Use Tymebank card to pay for my R122.50 shop, yes massive amount, last week was more, but if the money comes off my a/c I expect my goods. Not the retailers fault, TymeBank needs to wake up.
Declined. FFS !!!
On till screen says declined and to call the bank. I ask the teller and supervisor for a slip, I'm told "their system doesn't print slip when it is declined", so was out of luck, in hindsight I should have taken a photo of the screen (if they would let me) I guess.
I hadn't got a SMS so I thought "cool this hasn't gone through", and use my normal SA bank account which never ever ever declines to pay.
Leave the shops and then few min later I get the SMS saying the transaction went through. NO NO NO !!
Was close by so went back to confirm with manager if they can't give me anything off system to show declined, nope they can't.

I call TymeBank (so now phone call costs ...) and explain, very friendly agent "tells me they had system outage and some transactions were declined automatically some not and were needed to be fixed manually and would be done by the end of the day".
Powerless, and livid now with TymeBank, I think "OK I'll give them chance" and expect my money back. Later in the day I get a SMS saying my case no. had been resolved. Umm .... no it hasn't !!!
Check my internet banking, no change. Now I'm more annoyed, but can't get back to them then as was busy with other things.

I wait until Saturday morning and check my a/c again and still no reversal.
Call them again (more phone call charges ... grrr) and give case and info again.
Was told the same info (about system outage) and maybe mine never got picked up (so why did I get the SMS then ... did someone just assume mine was included and sorted without checking - probably ????) and will need to be reversed manually by Card Ops team ... oh oh ... them again ... the team that asked me for all the info last week, now I don't even have proof to send them my transaction was declined, so I wonder if it will be a my word vs theirs. Oh and I'm told, they Card Ops team may only be able to look at this on Tuesday after the long weekend, so sorry nothing more they can do to help.

I started using TymeBank end of last year as they looked good and as a disruptor of the SA banking system, I was keen for it to be my new banking "home" (even though they don't do online transactions etc. - so would be my "2nd home").
Since then been punting the services and what is offered to friends. No sure if any of them have signed up. Will need to apologise to them as I am not going to be using them anymore and won't recommend them either.
If your posts you say "and make us your primary bank" ... not a chance !!!

@TymeBank @TymeGuy if you feel like looking into this for me and trying to convince me to stay with your bank do DM me and I'll gladly provide you with the reference no for the case.
Hi. We really do apologise for the trouble you had over the weekend with your card decline. We understand how frustrating this is but we can say hand-on-heart that we take each case very seriously and that our teams are working tirelessly to find resolutions as quickly as possible. We've looked into the case you have logged through our Customer Service Centre and assure you that it is being investigated today by our CardOps team for resolution. The TymeBank Team

TymeBank

Hi. If you signed up at a kiosk and accepted the SmartShopper T&Cs then your TymeBank card will be automatically linked to your current SmartShopper. If you still need to get your card then the link will happen when you verify your account and get your card at a kiosk. We did have some linking issues which are (almost) fully resolved but none of our customers lost points during this process. The TymeBank Team

Hi. If you signed up at a kiosk and accepted the SmartShopper T&Cs then your TymeBank card will be automatically linked to your current SmartShopper. If you still need to get your card then the link will happen when you verify your account and get your card at a kiosk. We did have some linking issues which are (almost) fully resolved but none of our customers lost points during this process. The TymeBank Team
Ah, no. I did it online. I'm also planning on requesting my card. Do I have to collect at Pick n Pay or can it be delivered?

TymeBank

For each decline I received an sms stating that it is being investigated together with a different reference number from the one the call center provides.
Hi. As the case moves from our Customer Support Centre it will be allocated a new case number depending on the team it is allocated to for resolution, this is why you might be quoted the different case number.

TymeBank

Ah, no. I did it online. I'm also planning on requesting my card. Do I have to collect at Pick n Pay or can it be delivered?
We use biometrics to FICA the account so you'll need to visit a Pick n Pay or Boxer to get your card printed with your details. All you need is your ID number, your phone and your fingerprints :) Have a look at the list of kiosk at this link to find one nearest you. https://www.tymebank.co.za/banking/where-to-bank/kiosks/ The TymeBank Team

supersunbird

Honorary Master
We use biometrics to FICA the account so you'll need to visit a Pick n Pay or Boxer to get your card printed with your details. All you need is your ID number, your phone and your fingerprints :) Have a look at the list of kiosk at this link to find one nearest you. https://www.tymebank.co.za/banking/where-to-bank/kiosks/ The TymeBank Team
It there a way to up my limits if my thumb prints just do not want to work?

cavedog

Honorary Master
My balance is now R0. Moved everything into my Old Mutual Money Account. I don't mind paying R4.50 a month for a card that works and can be used online. Also moved my savings out of the goal save into the Money Account Savings Account. Slightly less interest but there are no limits. Wish Tyme all the best but they aren't for me.
Yeah the money account is a GREAT account very reliable backed by bidvest bank but fees are slightly more which is disappointing. If you lose your card over the weekend with Old Mutual no way to get a card. They have even worse banking hours at some branches than banks. With TYME you just go to PnP to print a new card. Tyme gives points. Old Mutual not. Old mutual has fixed R8.50 charges for any amount at any ATM for the first 4 a month. Tyme is R8 per R1000 or part thereof. Tyme no monthly fee old mutual has a R4.50 fee. Old mutal allows online purchases with Visa secure where Tyme does not. Old Mutual allows the card to be used at the toll gates where Tyme does not.

OId mutual allows you to load funds from cc so of you can pay your cc account over the counter loading cash into the old mutual is easy and it's free.

Give or take depending on your needs I suppose.

pkid

Expert Member
Yeah the money account is a GREAT account very reliable backed by bidvest bank but fees are slightly more which is disappointing. If you lose your card over the weekend with Old Mutual no way to get a card. They have even worse banking hours at some branches than banks. With TYME you just go to PnP to print a new card. Tyme gives points. Old Mutual not. Old mutual has fixed R8.50 charges for any amount at any ATM for the first 4 a month. Tyme is R8 per R1000 or part thereof. Tyme no monthly fee old mutual has a R4.50 fee. Old mutal allows online purchases with Visa secure where Tyme does not. Old Mutual allows the card to be used at the toll gates where Tyme does not.

OId mutual allows you to load funds from cc so of you can pay your cc account over the counter loading cash into the old mutual is easy and it's free.

Give or take depending on your needs I suppose.
This is a second account for me so the fees don't really hit me. It is a pity. I really did like certain features of TymeBank.

cavedog

Honorary Master
We are getting somewhere. Tyme is really going the extra mile to help me sort things out. Got CC'd in a bunch of emails and correspondences between Tyme, Telkom, Openserve and ABSA about the debit order issue.

View attachment 641548

Just an update on this matter. Telkom has closed all the cases just saying that Tyme bank is not supported. Nicola who was assisting me at Tyme bank has resigned from Tyme Bank and and auto mail returned said she no longer works for Tyme Bank. Telkom just said meh I need to make cash payments and automatically add the R202 rejection fee even though I have already paid over R1000 in just debit order fees since this issue started. They don't want to pay my money back instead say I need to pay 1 month in advance to stop the fee from being added or change banks.

Sigh. WTF is going on at Tyme... @TymeGuy @TymeBank @TymeBank_Team

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
My balance is now R0. Moved everything into my Old Mutual Money Account. I don't mind paying R4.50 a month for a card that works and can be used online. Also moved my savings out of the goal save into the Money Account Savings Account. Slightly less interest but there are no limits. Wish Tyme all the best but they aren't for me.
Lol cutting your nose off to spite your face...

Zukat

I have been trying to get my time card in several pop stores, every time get a message "your card should be printed now, but something went wrong"... how many times can something keep going wrong?