Anyone else had an issue with browsing on Rain 5G since last night ?

Nyt Ryda

So after my 5G disconnecting issue fixed itself, another issue seemed to appear last night.

I keep getting errors when opening web pages (PC, laptop and phone), sometimes I have to refresh 5 times to get it to show correctly.
Chrome says " DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN " and sometimes "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG".

5G signal shows at -80dBm which is good and it's not dropping or anything.
Speedtest shows it as 150Mbps even when in another tab a page doesn't want to open.
I've restarted the router and reconnected a few times but it doesn't fix it.

Any suggestions ? (Well besides the obvious "cancel Rain" :ROFL: )

powermzii

Expert Member
What DNS server address is being used on the router / devices where this is happening?

Haven't had issues with those type of errors on Rain - my router is configured to use quad9 and Cloudflare as the DNS servers

Try changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (google) 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) or 9.9.9.9 (quad9)

Last edited:

DaDon

yip, same here - issues started from last night as well, keep on have to refresh a millions times to get certain websites operating...
really frustrating

DaDon

on mobile here, but i seem to have absolutely no connection right now...
keep getting the following now:

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at rain.co.za.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
Check your network connection.
If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.

( with any site this is )

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
I came to post here. I just put a switch in yesterday, And this morning all of a sudden i'm getting these DNS issues.
I fixed it with the 8.8.8.8 but I feel dirty...

It started for sure yesterday. I have Rain for a week now, and no issues. But this morning, even my VPN etc didn't want to connect.

This is on 3 machines. 2 Windows and 1 Mac.

powermzii

Expert Member
on mobile here, but i seem to have absolutely no connection right now...
keep getting the following now:

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at rain.co.za.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
Check your network connection.
If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.

( with any site this is )
If you try to ping 'rain.co.za' do you get anything (when connected to the router that is). Sounds like there a multiple issues at play, the DNS one and a lack of connectivity

skimread

Executive Member
Yip from June 1st browsing has come to a crawl again like it was at the start of lockdown

DaDon

If you try to ping 'rain.co.za' do you get anything (when connected to the router that is). Sounds like there a multiple issues at play, the DNS one and a lack of connectivity
not with default Rain DNS, but I tried your suggestion and *poof* magically everything started to work
Thanks man,

[Edit]
For anyone else, please try powermzii's suggestion, what I have as my config is 9.9.9.9 as primary and 1.1.1.1 as secondary

Cheers
D

powermzii

Expert Member
not with default Rain DNS, but I tried your suggestion and *poof* magically everything started to work
Thanks man,

[Edit]
For anyone else, please try powermzii's suggestion, what I have as my config is 9.9.9.9 as primary and 1.1.1.1 as secondary

Cheers
D
Seems their DNS must have fallen over then.. . Bizarre

Glad it's sorted now though

giggity

I've configured DNS on my laptop and it made a huge difference, but trying to set it on the outdoor Huawei CPE router doesn't seem possible. I've tried un-hiding the DNS settings inputs under DHCP settings from chrome dev tools and it just doesn't save.

Any suggestions?

powermzii

Expert Member
I've configured DNS on my laptop and it made a huge difference, but trying to set it on the outdoor Huawei CPE router doesn't seem possible. I've tried un-hiding the DNS settings inputs under DHCP settings from chrome dev tools and it just doesn't save.

Any suggestions?
Do you have a router in between your laptop and the Huawei CPE? You could set it there.

Also couldn't find a place to set it on the CPE

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Its a pain in the ass... because now my media streaming box etc had to be set manually. ugh

Cyprio

Nope all running smooth on Rain no problems for around 3 months now...

i changed my DNS the day i got my unit 1.0.0.1 last year in September already

No problem for 11 weeks now

i Use a Pi Hole to remove adds...so actually point it at my Pi unit's IP ....which forewards to 1.0.0.1 or 1.1.1.1....

faster internet no ads and dont use Rain DNS with my 5G & Q2 unit

so no had no problems..runs like a dreamfor 3 months now..... i do 1TB -1.5 TB a month no problem...

Last edited:

powermzii

Expert Member

i Use a Pi Hole to remove adds...so actually point it at my Pi unit's IP ....which forewards to 1.0.0.1 or 1.1.1.1....

faster internet no ads and dont use Rain DNS with my 5g +Q2 unit

so no had no problems
How have you found the Q2 units

Cyprio

Best Hybrid router there is...it has PLC which i dont use ....plus it looks neat ...Red/ or Blue circular LED band at base to show connectivity.....and steers nicely plus 2 x 2 Mimo plus i got for free ..so anything for free is nice!!! works well with my 5G Home Outdoor CPE.

Pic of Q2 Router

Last edited:

mrlgm007

faster internet no ads and dont use Rain DNS with my 5g +Q2 unit

so no had no problems
Please post your Pihole lists

I used the below site https://firebog.net/