Anyone ever had to replace their butterfly keyboard, as part of the repair program?

Leno

Expert Member
had to replace the touch bar, which they replace the whole top section incl keyboard and it took about 2 weeks, but from the PE iStore

genetic

Honorary Master
The horrible butterfly keyboard?

At least a week - the butterfly keyboard is not repairable, and is a bitch to replace. Apple geniuses decided to rivet components in place, so repair centers have to replace entire assemblies of hardware rather than the actual faulty hardware itself - making parts overall scarce... especially during lockdown.

shadow_man

Executive Member
The horrible butterfly keyboard?

At least a week - the butterfly keyboard is not repairable, and is a bitch to replace. Apple geniuses decided to rivet components in place, so repair centers have to replace entire assemblies of hardware rather than the actual faulty hardware itself - making parts overall scarce... especially during lockdown.

Eish it's a 2017 model - so I doubt they'd give me a replacement unit. Instead they'll make me wait on the ridiculous replacement time... Would be nice though!

Thanks for the feedback guys, guess I have to go in and get an answer.

Leno

Expert Member
Eish it's a 2017 model - so I doubt they'd give me a replacement unit. Instead they'll make me wait on the ridiculous replacement time... Would be nice though!

Thanks for the feedback guys, guess I have to go in and get an answer.

I am sure they can order the parts then let you know when you can send the unit in (if its still working at all)

Tim_vb

I did, under the extended repair program and they replace the laptop. Then backlight started acting up "stagelight effect" and they replaced it again. took about a week each time. No cost, no questions asked

enzokahn

Yes. did my 2018 macbook pro 13 inch in november 2019 . Handed in on a monday and received it the following week. Works great now.

Tim_vb

Yes. did my 2018 macbook pro 13 inch in november 2019 . Handed in on a monday and received it the following week. Works great now.

check the serial they probably just gave you a new one