Anyone manage to use their RAIN sim cards in a different router or phone?

Fireball

Hi guys

As the title states, wondering if anyone has had any success using their RAIN sim card in a phone?

I know the sim cards are supposedly device locked, but MyBroadband managed to test theirs in a phone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (the i9505 LTE model), but it refuses to connect, even with the default Internet APN.

I'm looking to get a new dual-sim phone (specifically the Xiaomi Mi Max 2) and would love to be able to use my RAIN sim card as the primary data card.

So, again, any success from you other peeps? If so, what phone do you use?

Fireball

Thanks to FlashSA for providing me with the details of the RAIN LTE bands.

The-Official-Xiaomi-Thread#post20520301

Using that, I was able to figure out that my current Samsung Galaxy S4 supports both Telkom and RAIN's band 3 (1800 MHz), but not RAIN's Band 38 (2600 MHz) or Telkom's Band 40 (2300 MHz).

Telkom Mobile works in my phone on Band 3.
Since RAIN also uses that band, it seems that my phone at least partially supports it.

Which again makes me suspect that RAIN wasn't bluffing when they said that their SIM cards are device-locked.
I'm starting to think the MyBroadband test that they performed with the RAIN sim card in a phone was a fluke. I hope I'm wrong about that though.

So...anyone else managed to test their RAIN sim card in their phone yet?

silkenphoenixx

Does the RAIN sim work when you put it back in the supplied router?

Also, what form factor is the sim? Is it the same for the router and your phone?
Ordered mine on Friday, should be here before the end of the week. I'll try it out and see what happens.

dotcat

Also, what form factor is the sim? Is it the same for the router and your phone?
Ordered mine on Friday, should be here before the end of the week. I'll try it out and see what happens.
it's all 3 form factors.

Fireball

Yes, it works if I put it back in the original router.
It also works in my older Huawei B593-601 router.

internaut

Isnt there an ICASA ruling that service providers cannot lock their equipment? :confused:

Venomous

Honorary Master
Thanks to FlashSA for providing me with the details of the RAIN LTE bands.

The-Official-Xiaomi-Thread#post20520301

Using that, I was able to figure out that my current Samsung Galaxy S4 supports both Telkom and RAIN's band 3 (1800 MHz), but not RAIN's Band 38 (2600 MHz) or Telkom's Band 40 (2300 MHz).

Telkom Mobile works in my phone on Band 3.
Since RAIN also uses that band, it seems that my phone at least partially supports it.

Which again makes me suspect that RAIN wasn't bluffing when they said that their SIM cards are device-locked.
I'm starting to think the MyBroadband test that they performed with the RAIN sim card in a phone was a fluke. I hope I'm wrong about that though.

So...anyone else managed to test their RAIN sim card in their phone yet?
There is an article here somewhere.

RAIN has revently locked their service to prevent it from being mobile so yet it will work in some routers but not in mifi or cellphones.

Their theory it was/is marketed as fixed LTE not mobile LTE

silkenphoenixx

Isnt there an ICASA ruling that service providers cannot lock their equipment? :confused:
This has been discussed elsewhere before, it's not illegal to lock equipment. It's just bad customer relations. The equipment isn't locked. my RAIN B618 works with my CellC SIM just fine. But the SIM cards are locked to a certain set of routers as mentioned, though I think this only actually comes into effect on 1 November.

jarrydred

So I got my RAIN LTE-A sim card today, so I guess the new sim cards are locked?

Added the simcard to my Ulefone Armor 2 (supporting 2600 and 1800 Mhz) bt somehow it can't register on the network, does it take time for the simcard to register?

7ty7

So I got my RAIN LTE-A sim card today, so I guess the new sim cards are locked?

Added the simcard to my Ulefone Armor 2 (supporting 2600 and 1800 Mhz) bt somehow it can't register on the network, does it take time for the simcard to register?
Yes some people have been active when they inserted the sim others had to wait a couple of hours.

jarrydred

Yep, got mine working on my ulephone armor 2.

The phone allows me to change my sim card imei number so I duplicated the one from the router and voilà it connects.