Anyone tried MTN Signature Prepaid Bundles?

airborne

Executive Member
I've only seen these bundles available on the MyMtn app but they seem like good value, I'm interested in getting the cheapest call costs, I have big data and sms bundles.

For instance the Signature R35 monthly, costs R35 get R45 inclusive value(now what does that mean, hopefully R45 airtime value to spend on calls/data/sms), 56c per minute on voice calls, 71c/mb data, 36c per sms.

But I can't find anything online explaining them, it's possibly 56c per-minute billing not per sec(which may make them not such great value) and what happens to the rate when the bundled airtime is used up, or does the rate last for the full 30-day window and you can recharge as much as you want and still enjoy the same rates?

Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
If as I'm assuming that R35 bundle gets you R45 airtime value at 56c/pm which is 80mins of calling and that's great value even if it is per minute billing. At normal MTN per second prepaid rates at 79c/pm R35 airtime will get you just 44mins of calling.

Also I can't get the exact current MTN per second rate some MTN sites say 99c/pm some say 79c/pm, does anyone know conclusively what it is?

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Been using them for ages when I was on MTN then ported then ported back and now finally ported out again.

If the rules have not changed they are charged @ 79c per minute. The MTN signature bundles offer very good value for money and the R35 upwards bundles actually pushes the effective call rate lower than 60c per minute. Honestly if you don't use a signature bundle on MTN prepaid you are wasting money. The bundle works for calls to any network any time. That said if you are on the MTN Zone price plan the bundle will bypass the MTN Zone discounts so you could lose a lower rate on weekends and off peaks times to MTN numbers but during peak and business hours is where you score big with reduced call rates.

airborne

Executive Member
Been using them for ages when I was on MTN then ported then ported back and now finally ported out again.

If the rules have not changed they are charged @ 79c per minute. The MTN signature bundles offer very good value for money and the R35 upwards bundles actually pushes the effective call rate lower than 60c per minute. Honestly if you don't use a signature bundle on MTN prepaid you are wasting money. The bundle works for calls to any network any time. That said if you are on the MTN Zone price plan the bundle will bypass the MTN Zone discounts so you could lose a lower rate on weekends and off peaks times to MTN numbers but during peak and business hours is where you score big with reduced call rates.
Thanks Cavedog, is the rate per second or per minute?

And you load say the R35 bundle with existing airtime you've bought and that gives you R45 credit to use as you see fit for next 30 days?

If you use up the R45 credit before the 30days are up can you load more airtime and still get the signature rates until the 30 days are up?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks Cavedog, is the rate per second or per minute?

And you load say the R35 bundle with existing airtime you've bought and that gives you R45 credit to use as you see fit for next 30 days?

If you use up the R45 credit before the 30days are up can you load more airtime and still get the signature rates until the 30 days are up?
It's been a while since I used them so if the rules did not change you can load as many as you want. You can find the Signature bundles in the *141*2# and then I think it's Option 6 or 7 for Promo. Signature bundles should be listed there and on the app as you have seen.

The rate is billed per second from the bundle unless it has been changed. I can't remember if it reverts to price plan rate once depleted or continue at 79c per minute until the 30 days have lapsed but I think it would revert to price plan rate. You can check your bundle balance by dialing *141*1# for detailed balances and it should show Signature bundle value there.

daiyaan

If as I'm assuming that R35 bundle gets you R45 airtime value at 56c/pm which is 80mins of calling and that's great value even if it is per minute billing. At normal MTN per second prepaid rates at 79c/pm R35 airtime will get you just 44mins of calling.

Also I can't get the exact current MTN per second rate some MTN sites say 99c/pm some say 79c/pm, does anyone know conclusively what it is?
It's 99c , I tested it on MTN per second.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Per second plan
Yes all the rates change a while back. The lowest is 99c per minute billed per second. That is why buying a MTN Signature bundle is so crucial. Without it you are paying so much more per minute.

airborne

Executive Member
Airtime right after loading the R35 Signature bundle that gives you R45 airtime

Airtime left after a 30sec call - rate 88c/pm

Airtime left after a 59sec call - rate 82c/pm

Airtime left after a 1min 30sec call - rate 82c/pm

Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
No clue wtf is going on, the cellular networks... it's always obfuscate , obfuscate , obfuscate.

Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
Looks like the website is more accurate than their own app:

MTN Signature Monthly Bundles:

Bundle Subscription Value Inclusive Value Voice/Min – All Net Local Data/MB SMS – All net
R35 Signature Monthly R35 R45 R0.79 R0.99 R0.50 Standard Rates apply
R50 Signature Monthly R50 R65 R0.79 R0.99 R0.50 Standard Rates apply
R100 Signature Monthly R100 R130 R0.79 R0.99 R0.50 Standard Rates apply
R150 Signature Monthly R150 R200 R0.79 R0.99 R0.50 Standard Rates apply
R200 Signature Monthly R200 R270 R0.79 R0.99 R0.50 Standard Rates apply
R500 Signature Monthly R500 R700 R0.79 R0.99 R0.50 Standard Rates apply

Dial *136*2# and follow the prompts to get your MTN Signature bundle today. You can also buy a bundle using the myMTNza app or buy online now.

airborne

Executive Member
Ok now I think I see where the cost savings comes from - they give you about 30% extra airtime when purchasing the Signature bundles, 82c less 30% does get you just around 56c per min. Hence you stop saving once the signature airtime is depleted, you need to load another one to get the savings, which isn't a train smash because then the 30 day window also gets renewed. Also great to see its per second billing as well, another big win.

Awesome value, glad I discovered this.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ok now I think I see where the cost savings comes from - they give you about 30% extra airtime when purchasing the Signature bundles, 82c less 30% does get you just around 56c per min. Hence you stop saving once the signature airtime is depleted, you need to load another one to get the savings, which isn't a train smash because then the 30 day window also gets renewed. Also great to see its per second billing as well, another big win.

Awesome value, glad I discovered this.
As I mentioned before I was using them since launch and was a great addon to the 1c per second price plan. Even if the signature bundle was depleted it won't be as bad. Signature bundle + per second price plan + afrihost/axxess mobile data is probably the cheapest prepaid solution you can get.

Telkom Mobile is also go with Mo'Nice IF you get decent deals then they have very decent minute bundles.