Apartheid excuse won't hold - Zuma

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2010/09/13/apartheid-excuse-won_t-hold---zuma

Apartheid excuse won't hold - Zuma

PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma has warned that the ANC will soon run out of using apartheid as an excuse for failures.
Someone can ask, what have you done in the last two decades?

With four years left before the end of the second decade of democratic rule in South Africa, Zuma told delegates to the provincial general council in Makhado, Limpopo, on Saturday the party would be faced with critical questions from civilians.

He expressed his fear over a reign that is characterised by corruption, poor service delivery, comrades milking government resources when building RDP houses and lack of jobs.

"After 20 years it would be very difficult to blame apartheid. Someone can ask, what have you done in the last two decades?" said Zuma.

ANC general secretary Gwede Mantashe also warned against factionalism which manifests itself through voting based on slates.

He said the ANC was at risk of leaving out competent leaders because they would not had been part of a slate of some faction.

Meanwhile, Gauteng chairperson Paul Mashatile allayed fears that members of the provincial government led by Premier Nomvula Mokonyane would be purged after their performance review.

Speculation has been rife that Mashatile and the ANC provincial executive committee were out to dismiss some members of the executive who did not support his election campaign in May.

Speaking at the general council at the weekend, Mashatile said the government should know that the ANC expected nothing less than outstanding performance and absolute commitment in serving the people.

"As the PEC we have no scores to settle but people to serve. We wish to reiterate that the main purpose of the review is to strengthen the ANC-led government so that it can succeed in its mandate to improve the quality of life of our people."

Thank you for having the courage to say that Mr. President. Now please take action against those individuals guilty of that.

Mila

Honorary Master
He has said this before. And when the first chance comes around he uses the A card.

blunomore

Honorary Master
He expressed his fear over a reign that is characterised by corruption, poor service delivery, comrades milking government resources when building RDP houses and lack of jobs.

Please ... he is the posterchild for corruption and poor service delivery.

onerb

Pretty rich coming from him. Although it is a move in the right direction.

My question though: What will they blame now?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, well... he will prove his sincerity by actually taking action against the guilty ones!

onerb

Ja, well... he will prove his sincerity by actually taking action against the guilty ones!

Like you said, if he can back it up with action and by that I mean firm action then he proves to be serious about the matter. If not, then it's just the normal hot air.

blunomore

Honorary Master

Like you said, if he can back it up with action and by that I mean firm action then he proves to be serious about the matter. If not, then it's just the normal hot air.

You guys are being naive.

Of course he will take action against corrupt ones .............................. the ones that are not in his camp. If you are loyal, you get protected.

onerb

Of course he will take action against corrupt ones .............................. the ones that are not in his camp. If you are loyal, you get protected.

Sure, but time will tell. I am not holding my breath.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Naive or not... there is nothing else we can do about it except cast our vote and wait and see what happens.

blunomore

Honorary Master
Naive or not... there is nothing else we can do about it except cast our vote and wait and see what happens.

Huh?

I thought you said you will wait for him to prove himself by taking action agains the guilty ones ? THAT is gonna be a long wait.

TonyHawk

Expert Member
I always welcome a positive statement... from leaders.. but will wait with abated breath for the follow through ;)

grok

Honorary Master
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma has warned that the ANC will soon run out of using apartheid as an excuse for failures.

There you have it, the prez himself admitting that the ANC is a failure and uses apartheid as an excuse!

So mr two-faced Zuma, tell us again what happened to your 700 charges of corruption, maybe that's the reason for the 'reign that is characterised by corruption, poor service delivery, comrades milking government resources' etc.

onerb

There has to be a time when the equilibrium between right and wrong start to infiltrate the leaders. Everyone knows what is right and wrong, yet some deem it neccesary to exploit as far as they can.

I believe that humans must reach a point where they want to do the right thing. Or am I being Naive?

blunomore

Honorary Master
There has to be a time when the equilibrium between right and wrong start to infiltrate the leaders. Everyone knows what is right and wrong, yet some deem it neccesary to exploit as far as they can.

I believe that humans must reach a point where they want to do the right thing. Or am I being Naive?

Yes.

Divestar

I heard on the news today that Zuma may not be selected for a second term as prez. This may be why he is starting to run with this issue. Maybe it wins him votes or maybe he is setting the stage for the next prez to answer some very tough questions... Who knows?

The_Assimilator

Executive Member

The only time that will happen is if the ones who don't want to do the right thing are exterminated en masse. Humankind has proved time and time again that it never does the right thing unless forced to, by necessity or another factor.