Apartheid Subject in SA Schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xarog

Honorary Master
http://allafrica.com/stories/200605120435.html

That's the best link I could find online, I didn't have much luck it seems. If anyone can find a source with more details I'd appreciate it.

But this really worries me. What good will a subject like this do? I don't see much good for it. The past is the past, and shoving it in everyone's faces as a school subject isn't going help mend fences - it's just going to remind everyone about the artificial barriers that once divided people in the country.

I'm guessing the ANC thinks that the new generation isn't going to care much about their "struggle history", and thus have to do more than simply be struggle heroes to maintain their hold on power. Unless they indoctrinate everyone about it, of course.

pupa

Banned
My kids will not attend those brainwashing classes. This is history and that is remove from schools now the "B" want to bring it back to brainwash every kid. This will over time change to a communist in-doctrine. Slowly the true colours are being exposed as the truth

"And the National Archives and Treasury are assisting victims in obtaining documentation to enable them to apply for special pensions," she said.[\QUOTE}

Poor sods, still living in a dream world, where will the funds come from, after the back-pockets is filled there are none left!

icyrus

Executive Member
There's no problem with teaching this in schools, as long as its balanced and factual and doesn't turn into propaganda. People must learn about the past so as not to repeat it.

I can't help but wonder why the minister of health was talking about this though. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Last edited:

BOREDOFTELKOM

I would like to live in a future world where there still is black chocolate, white chocolate and caramel chocolate. all of the flavours IMO are equally sweet, but it would be best to keep the diffrent flavours separate, instead of mix marridging them to create only one mocha/Michael-Jackson flavour, would we not miss white and black chocolate?! all flavours are intresting, but only one flavour would be boring, and M-J-like. i respect all ethnicities, but i don't condone mixed marriage, sorry, but mixed friendships that's cool.

Last edited:

lilDeath

Executive Member
It's the classic scapegoat in this day and age... "Blame apartheid".
Think we all are aware of the fact that it was said discrimination must not take place and will not be tolerated (current government) ...but what is AA / BEE then... if anything it is now in reverse
neways...gonna be a hectic can'o'worms this one all on it's own, so rather leave it for another day. :)

Rkootknir

Expert Member
BOREDOFTELKOM said:
i respect all ethnicities, but i don't condone mixed marriage, sorry, but mixed friendships that's cool.
Really? Aaaawww, that's so cuuuuuuuuuuttteeee. You're not going to condone the GF and I then?

Don't worry, we'll manage. :D

Xarog

Honorary Master
would like to live in a future world where there still is black chocolate, white chocolate and caramel chocolate. all of the flavours IMO are equally sweet, but it would be best to keep the diffrent flavours separate, instead of mix marridging them to create only one mocha/Michael-Jackson flavour, would we not miss white and black chocolate?! all flavours are intresting, but only one flavour would be boring, and M-J-like. i respect all ethnicities, but i don't condone mixed marriage, sorry, but mixed friendships that's cool.
Irrelevant to the thread. If you want to argue your view, stop hijacking my thread and make your own. ;)

JStrike

Honorary Master
For once I agree with icyrus. We need to rememebr the past. Hell, there is even a saying about it. As long as it is done correctly

BOREDOFTELKOM : You are very disturbed

Xarog

Honorary Master
Well, what's the scope of the subject? When do they start teaching it? If they start it at grade 1, you're looking at up to 9 years of the stuff. How's a 6 year old going to see it in perspective?

I don't think teaching people about apartheid is a bad thing, but a whole school subject? That seems a little extreme.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
In my opinion it should be part of History. Making it a subject on its own is plain stupid. But well we are in Africa and the mindset is Africa so I will not be surprised if they try and do it. I will not allow my child (due in two months) to be subject to this.

pupa

Banned
VJB 449 said:
In my opinion it should be part of History. Making it a subject on its own is plain stupid. But well we are in Africa and the mindset is Africa so I will not be surprised if they try and do it. I will not allow my child (due in two months) to be subject to this.
They banned history as they are ashamed of it and wants to wipe it away! Only their new version will apply!

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Apartheid is the focus for matric already (as part of the subject Hisory obviously). I don't think it should be banned from teaching as although it's quite boring (compared to World Wars/Cold War), it needs to be learnt.

Making it a separate subject is very stupid and it'll no doubt have an ANC/ "struggle" slant.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Ya, I agree with Dominic, it should be part of the History sylabus (But one of the more important parts)

Xarog

Honorary Master
I have NO problem with apartheid being part of the history syllabus. But a subject on its own is entirely different.

kingmonty

Expert Member
Erm. Last time I checked there was already a subject dedicated to this kind of material. I can't think of what the subject is called... Starts with an H.. Oh yeah... Now I remember... it's called History

Status
Not open for further replies.