Apartheid was not a crime against humanity - AfriForum CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devviem

Expert Member
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...crime-against-humanity-afriforum-ceo-20180514

AfriForum's CEO says apartheid was not a crime against humanity.

Eusebius McKaiser, who hosted Kallie Kriel on his Radio 702 show on Monday to discuss farm murders, asked him what he thought about apartheid.

Afterwards, McKaiser took to Twitter, saying: "Kallie Kriel tells me 'I don't think Apartheid was a crime against humanity.' WTF [sic]".

crackersa

Honorary Master
I don't like these people but I'm starting to agree with them more and more...
Fk for once I have to agree with that jerk
Apartheid was a crime against humanity. Black Africans have been dehumanized for the last 500 years and folks like you should be counting your blessings cause the blacks could have instituted their own version of apartheid against the whites.

marine1

Honorary Master
Apartheid was a crime against humanity. Black Africans have been dehumanized for the last 500 years and folks like you should be counting your blessings cause the blacks could have instituted their own version of apartheid against the whites.
They are doing it now in case you have been living under a rock
And as a white person there are many places in Africa you shouldn't visit.
Forget the farm invasions in Zimbabwe and the farm attacks in SA?
Oh yes that's all just random crime

Randhir

Honorary Master
Afterwards, McKaiser took to Twitter, saying: "Kallie Kriel tells me 'I don't think Apartheid was a crime against humanity.' WTF [sic]".

Kriel called News24 to explain the context of what he had said during the interview.

"He asked me for my views on apartheid and I stated that we do not justify apartheid. We believed that the system infringed on the dignity of people on the basis of race."

He added that "apartheid was wrong".

"We do not beat around the bush about that. What I said to Eusebius is that a crime against humanity is the gassing of six million Jews in gas chambers. In my view, you cannot equate that to the 700 people that were killed by the security police during apartheid."

Without providing proof, Kriel was adamant that only 700 people were killed during apartheid.

"It was wrong to infringe on the rights of the people... [but this] cannot be equated to (Adolf) Hitler or communism. That equation cannot be made. You cannot equate crimes against humanity with apartheid.

"There was not a mass killing of people," said Kriel.
Do people purposefully post abbrevaited quotes purely to jump-start conflict?

nightjar

Expert Member
The TRC, despite its best attempts, was not able to blame apartheid for more than 7 000 deaths.
Communism killed about 100 million people.
Even the Zulu genocide killed 2 - 3 million people.
It seems to me that "crimes against humanity" was allocated to the criminals in the wrong order.

Your own country don't think so.
Seventy-six other countries subsequently signed on, but a number of nations, including western democracies, have neither signed nor ratified the ICSPCA, including Canada, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and the United States.[6] In explanation of the US vote against the convention, Ambassador Clarence Clyde Ferguson Jr. said: "[W]e cannot...accept that apartheid can in this manner be made a crime against humanity. Crimes against humanity are so grave in nature that they must be meticulously elaborated and strictly construed under existing international law..."

Of course it wasn't. His forefathers perpetrated it. It is their legacy that he does not want to trample on. It's like asking a rapist if rape should be criminalised. Their answer should not surprise you.

Last edited:

gamer16

Expert Member
Oh I highly doubt this, they are far too feeble as a intellectual society.

sox63

Executive Member
So a crime against humanity is only when people are butchered? In Kriel's mind I guess the conversation goes "hey, Apartheid didn't kill them by the millions, just deprived millions of the dignity of equal rights and killed a few hundred. That's just a boo boo that's bad. Not a crime..."

Randhir

Honorary Master
Of course it wasn't. His forefathers perpetrated it. It is their legacy that he does not want to trample on. It's like asking a rapist if rape should be criminalised. Their answer should not surprise you.
It would depend on the definition of the phrase.

Just like how what's happening in South Africa isn't a white genocide. Since we're all sticklers for strict definitions, I'm sure everyone will agree ;)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
There is no doubt that it was a crime, but what they are trying to do is to make it like a genocide in order to heap up the victim status and intensify the guilt.
Apartheid was the name that South Africa gave to their institutionalised racism, but it was the same in many other countries, they just didn't name it so aptly.

daveza

Honorary Master
Kriel seems to equate crimes against humanity only with genocide. It's on that basis he doesn't see apartheid as a crime against humanity.

gamer16

Expert Member
Seeing as South Africa isn't the only country to have done this nor is it the country that did it the worst, there must be a reason this has been done, people don't just hate and discriminate for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.