Apple’s “affordable” iPhone is still more expensive than all these awesome Android flagships

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member

Geniemaestro

How do you compare this to a s9 or p20? You cant. And then its prices higher as well...stupidity.

ekske1

Executive Member
Apple’s “affordable” iPhone is still more expensive than all these awesome Android flagships

Apple recently launched its new iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max flagship devices, along with a cheaper smartphone named the iPhone Xr.

With its lower-resolution LCD display and single primary camera, the iPhone Xr is Apple’s new “budget” device aimed at users who can’t fork out the cash for its new high-end iPhones.
“affordable” Porsche is still more expensive than all these awesome Volkswagen Golfs

* insert roll eyes *

Brenden_E

Executive Member
“affordable” Porsche is still more expensive than all these awesome Volkswagen Golfs

* insert roll eyes *
False equivalence - the android products all have better hardware than the iPhone. So "affordable" golf is still more expensive than Porsche.

sand_man

Honorary Master
The Xr needed to come in at around $599 to be a serious contender in the mid to high end range. It's about $150 over priced IMHO...

But I suppose Apple are in the enviable position where they don't really need a loss-leader in their lineup...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
/glances at OnePlus 6 on desk :love:

No idea what you're talking about.
I'm talking about the operating system, not the hardware. I spent the best part of this year using a Moto Z and while I couldn't fault the hardware I found the OS lacking.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm talking about the operating system, not the hardware. I spent the best part of this year using a Moto Z and while I couldn't fault the hardware I found the OS lacking.
But the OS, if vanilla, just gets out the way and lets you do your thing. If you want a fancy launcher, download one. What exactly about the OS is lacking? It's down to the user to just configure it to their tastes.

eg2505

Honorary Master
The Xr needed to come in at around $599 to be a serious contender in the mid to high end range. It's about $150 over priced IMHO...

But I suppose Apple are in the enviable position where they don't really need a loss-leader in their lineup...
true that, but Apple needs to release something to bring people into the brand,
otherwise how will they make money?

so they had a few years back the ipod touch, and now this, an Iphone lite...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
But the OS, if vanilla, just gets out the way and lets you do your thing. If you want a fancy launcher, download one. What exactly about the OS is lacking? It's down to the user to just configure it to their tastes.
Functionality. Airdrop and Handoff were the two biggest missing elements. Everything just syncs perfectly between my laptop and phone now. Android Auto... well, lets not go there.

There were some nice features I could probably think of if I tried but, while I still use my MotoZ daily, my iPhone is the one one I check my pocket for before I go out.

me_

It lacks stability - It's 2018 and apps still cause phones to crash... It reminds me a lot of Windows 98.

I have a Huawei which thankfully has the ability to block application startup and background processes, but I really struggled with Samsungs in the past as the only way to truly block startup and background processing was uninstalling the app or through apps that required rooting the phone to work properly.
Since upgrading to Android 8, I've had so many issues with my WiFi - ranging from forgetting my hotspot session when I move in and out of range to phone resetting when attempting to connect to certain hotspots.

I'll keep using Android because I wouldn't spend more than R3k for a phone.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Functionality. Airdrop and Handoff were the two biggest missing elements. Everything just syncs perfectly between my laptop and phone now. Android Auto... well, lets not go there.
There were some nice features I could probably think of if I tried but, while I still use my MotoZ daily, my iPhone is the one one I check my pocket for before I go out.
There are apps that can sync aspects of Android with Mac or Windows if you need that though.

I haven't watched a comparison in ages, but last I saw a vid comparing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (from a Verge-type popular channel), the latter destroyed it for reliability and ease of use. I even recall the top comment from someone saying 'yeah, but CarPlay's interface looks nicer' and every child comment tuning 'Apple users in a nutshell'.

It lacks stability - It's 2018 and apps still cause phones to crash... It reminds me a lot of Windows 98.
I have a Huawei which thankfully has the ability to block application startup and background processes, but I really struggled with Samsungs in the past as the only way to truly block startup and background processing was uninstalling the app or through apps that required rooting the phone to work properly.
Since upgrading to Android 8, I've had so many issues with my WiFi - ranging from forgetting my hotspot session when I move in and out of range to phone resetting when attempting to connect to certain hotspots.
I'll keep using Android because I wouldn't spend more than R3k for a phone.
Just one problem - Android apps crash less than iOS ones according to studies.

Android Oreo lets you restrict the background activity of any app, although even in the days of Ice Cream Sandwich I had that functionality with apps that needed root. Much of your point applies exclusively to bloated Android devices, which has nothing to do with Android inherently. If you want a clean experience, don't buy a Samsung or Huawei.

Your connectivity issues are not a widespread Android issue, and not one I think I've ever had. And that comes down to hardware quality anyway - something that can only be properly analysed with flagships where expectations are high and comparisons to Apple (who only have expensive phones) can be made. My OnePlus 6 cost around R7.5k, so you can have a flagship experience for far less than the R20k or whatever the iPhone X and Xs go for.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
There are apps that can sync aspects of Android with Mac or Windows if you need that though.
I don't want some third party app - I want it baked into the OS so I don't have to manage it at all.

I haven't watched a comparison in ages, but last I saw a vid comparing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (from a Verge-type popular channel), the latter destroyed it for reliability and ease of use. I even recall the top comment from someone saying 'yeah, but CarPlay's interface looks nicer' and every child comment tuning 'Apple users in a nutshell'.
You watch them, I experience them.

AA crashes more often. CP is also easier to use, and sure, it looks better - what's wrong with that? :confused:

When/IF google decides to update GM and waze it will also be available on CP.