Apple’s new iPad Pro has Face ID, USB-C, and slimmer bezels

Dave

Honorary Master
After months of rumors, Apple has today announced a completely redesigned iPad Pro with slimmed-down bezels, Face ID, a USB-C port, and far more powerful specs than its predecessor.

Just like prior years, the new iPad Pro comes in two screen sizes: 11 inches and 12.9 inches. The 11-inch model has essentially the same proportions as the prior 10.5-inch model. And the 12.9-inch model puts the same-sized display into a much smaller form factor. The new iPad Pro starts at $799 for the 11-inch and $999 for the 12.9-inch. Preorders begin today, and it ships on November 7th.

1540916594475.gif

Full article:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...o-2018-price-release-date-specs-usb-c-face-id

Jase

Expert Member
The new pencil is sweet. Magnetically attaches to the iPad and charges as soon as it's attached.

But the whole setup, iPad, Pencil, Keyboard with a 1TB config will be way over R30k.

Dave

Honorary Master
The new pencil is sweet. Magnetically attaches to the iPad and charges as soon as it's attached.

But the whole setup, iPad, Pencil, Keyboard with a 1TB config will be way over R30k.
Agreed, the price is getting silly.

The new Pencil is much more practical though.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Why would you need 1TB? It’s the era of the cloud.

The base model price actually seemed quite reasonable to me, especially since it’s grown in features and screen real estate.

Jase

Expert Member
Why would you need 1TB? It’s the era of the cloud.

The base model price actually seemed quite reasonable to me, especially since it’s grown in features and screen real estate.
In my line of work 1TB could be quite handy (although I could settle for 256gb). Cloud services in the sticks can be sketchy.

I feel if I am to spend that kind of cash, I'd like it as a replacement for my laptop and not just a glorified movie / game device.

With the demo of a full Photoshop at the event it seems that they are heading in the right direction. What I'd like to see is a full version MS Office which would make it way more appealing as a replacement when I'm away on remote sites. Currently, I'd consider a Surface Pro or some other 2-in-1 over the iPad for productivity.

creeper

Expert Member
In my line of work 1TB could be quite handy (although I could settle for 256gb). Cloud services in the sticks can be sketchy.

I feel if I am to spend that kind of cash, I'd like it as a replacement for my laptop and not just a glorified movie / game device.

With the demo of a full Photoshop at the event it seems that they are heading in the right direction. What I'd like to see is a full version MS Office which would make it way more appealing as a replacement when I'm away on remote sites. Currently, I'd consider a Surface Pro or some other 2-in-1 over the iPad for productivity.
Interesting that you mentioning this. I’ve got the ‘old’ iPad Pro 10.5 with the pen. With OneNote (or Notes), taking notes and syncing it to a laptop is easy. Most of the applications e.g. MS Office have an iPad equivalent and the use of cloud allows for editing and syncing. It is a ‘good enough’ device for basic productivity, but some applications just works better on a laptop. Especially when you do a lot of processing such as complex Excel analysis.

Saying this, I’ve been using my laptop at work less and less. The only time I use my MBP at home is for my sideline projects that requires python, Xcode and other tools

Jase

Expert Member
Interesting that you mentioning this. I’ve got the ‘old’ iPad Pro 10.5 with the pen. With OneNote (or Notes), taking notes and syncing it to a laptop is easy. Most of the applications e.g. MS Office have an iPad equivalent and the use of cloud allows for editing and syncing. It is a ‘good enough’ device for basic productivity, but some applications just works better on a laptop. Especially when you do a lot of processing such as complex Excel analysis.

Saying this, I’ve been using my laptop at work less and less. The only time I use my MBP at home is for my sideline projects that requires python, Xcode and other tools
Thanks for the input. I'm considering a smaller alternative that I can lug to my 'office' and leave the larger brick sitting at my accommodation when I am out on a site. I don't programme and essentially I will need it for mail, basic word docs, basic spreadsheets (inventory control, cost analysis on expired stock etc.) and PowerPoint for training purposes (embedded interactive videos).

The_David

Anyone know if this new Ipad pro is actually available today. The Myistore just says coming soon. No pre-order no buy now...

bluepoole

Anyone know if this new Ipad pro is actually available today. The Myistore just says coming soon. No pre-order no buy now...
Doubt it will be available here in SA yet...those dates always refer to the US, they get it first...other countries like us have to wait a bit, as they release it in waves across the globe

The_David

Just thought they would use the same distribution channels as the Iphones as we get those same day as world wide release.