Apple AirPort Extreme base station - 6th generation

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I will never understand why people want these things. Ubiquiti products are cheaper and better, would far rather buy those.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I will never understand why people want these things. Ubiquiti products are cheaper and better, would far rather buy those.
While Ubiquiti is good, it does remain an enterprise class product and that shows.

By sheer example, I couldn't begin to explain to my mother how to setup any Ubiquiti product remotely.

Airport that can be done quite happily and with great speed and results.

Also there are benefits beyond what Ubiquiti offers such as the option to add Time Machine backup to it and also use it as an Airplay hub.

In fact with Apple's pursuit of security I think there is actually a big market for them to offer an in home internet gateway setup that offers a VPN and iCloud cache setup that could be meshed like Ubiquiti's Amplifi product in a consumer capacity.

So sure Ubiquiti wins the outright performance game (I run it myself) but in the consumer space there is actually nothing close to Airport when it comes to easy configuration and out of the box performance. That being said they do lack in advanced features.

Apple should actually just go for a standard wireless protocol that other manufacturers tie into that could make use of the Airport Configurator standard and that would be the perfect device. Normal people could have an easy point and click kind of auto config, and the hardcore like us could still use the manufacturer interfaces and advanced features.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ubiquiti works better
AFAIK Airports have been working for longer.

Over the years I've always just added on to my existing Airport network as necessary, the chances of me binning it all at any given time for Ubiquiti are slim.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Apple should actually just go for a standard wireless protocol that other manufacturers tie into that could make use of the Airport Configurator standard and that would be the perfect device. Normal people could have an easy point and click kind of auto config, and the hardcore like us could still use the manufacturer interfaces and advanced features.
They discontinued the Airport line last November. AFAIK they've since partnered with Linksys.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
They discontinued the Airport line last November. AFAIK they've since partnered with Linksys.
Yes I know. Which is why I said an open protocol that others can use would be the better way to go about it.

I think that partnership with Linksys/Cisco relates more to the HomeKit cameras, but you never know what might come out of it.

HomeKit-approved type stuff for networking is what I’m thinking.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
It's the ecosystem...apparently.

:rolleyes:
Yeah I have noticed from the replies that people prefer an inferior product at a higher price point.
I have the full Apple suite from the mbp through phones/ipads etc and I have yet to find a problem with Ubiquiti equipment not being in the ecosystem.