Apple announces powerful new iMac

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Apple announces powerful new iMac

Apple has unveiled its most powerful iMac yet, featuring the company's own M1 processor and a new cutting-edge thin design.

“M1 is a gigantic leap forward for the Mac, and today we’re excited to introduce the all-new iMac, the first Mac designed around the breakthrough M1 chip,” said Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Market Greg Joswiak.

The new iMac will be offered in seven colours, with a larger display and assortment of hardware improvements which Apple said "takes everything people love about iMac to an entirely new level".

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
I like the look of it from every angle except the front... lol Used an iMac for 10 years on and off and the whole time i've wished the chin wasn't there. I would have preferred they made it slightly thicker and put the guts behind the screen. Seems with this design they chose to put the brains in it's enormous chin.

Hopefully the coming 27-32 inch model is more Pro focussed and resembles the Pro Display XDR.

Last edited:

skusku

Article states 7core cost $12500 but the 8core cost $1500. This pricing doesn't make sense

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
A white bezel and no dark/mature colours. This is obviously aimed at kids and students.

We will have to wait for the larger Pro models.

Fox1

Executive Member
That price is iNsanity.

You know what, some advertising agencies will pay up for these devices thinking everything is well in the world.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
So you would need an adapter to attach a second monitor. On a desktop computer... alrighty then.
That is also a lot of money for 8GB of SHARED memory, where 16GB system RAM is pretty much standard these days for computers in that price range.

greg0205

Honorary Master
So you would need an adapter to attach a second monitor. On a desktop computer... alrighty then.
That is also a lot of money for 8GB of SHARED memory, where 16GB system RAM is pretty much standard these days for computers in that price range.
The RAM conversation is the same one Android folks were having with iPhone folks years ago. Apple hardware and software integration make the point a little moot.

Also, I guess most folks already have a VGA/HDMI monitor, so yeah, you need an adapter with any new Mac... If you have a USB-C monitor 'tho, you're good to go.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
The RAM conversation is the same one Android folks were having with iPhone folks years ago. Apple hardware and software integration make the point a little moot.

Also, I guess most folks already have a VGA/HDMI monitor, so yeah, you need an adapter with any new Mac... If you have a USB-C monitor 'tho, you're good to go.

This isn't a phone though. It's a desktop computer. Hardware integration doesn't magically mean editing a 20mp image in Photoshop will use less RAM, or having 10 tabs open in Chrome will use less RAM.

SSDs makes using virtual memory less painful, but you still run out of memory, and it will still swap to disk.

greg0205

Honorary Master
This isn't a phone though. It's a desktop computer. Hardware integration doesn't magically mean editing a 20mp image in Photoshop will use less RAM, or having 10 tabs open in Chrome will use less RAM.

SSDs makes using virtual memory less painful, but you still run out of memory, and it will still swap to disk.

Point taken.