Apple disappointed with iPhone X sales – Sources

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Erm it's that time of year where sales always stall due to the new model announcements being around the corner.

This is a typical case of non-news making the news.

It's really no different this year than any other year before it.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/
Sources in Apple have confirmed that the company is disappointed by iPhone X sales to date.

This is according to a report by Fast Company, which stated senior Apple executives have acknowledged the smartphone is not selling well.

Your stats include all iPhone sales, whereas the supposed sources are saying that iPhone X sales specifically have been disappointing to Apple.

The iPhone X is a nice phone, assuming you're into iOS. My only issue with it is the price. If it had insane battery life and the best camera then perhaps the $1k price is justified, but it doesn't have either of those things. To me it's just an alternative to other flagships, with a nonsensical price that pulls it out of consideration for most people.

eg2505

Honorary Master

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sources in Apple have confirmed that the company is disappointed by iPhone X sales to date.

This is according to a report by Fast Company, which stated senior Apple executives have acknowledged the smartphone is not selling well.

Your stats include all iPhone sales, whereas the supposed sources are saying that iPhone X sales specifically have been disappointing to Apple.

The iPhone X is a nice phone, assuming you're into iOS. My only issue with it is the price. If it had insane battery life and the best camera then perhaps the $1k price is justified, but it doesn't have either of those things. To me it's just an alternative to other flagships, with a nonsensical price that pulls it out of consideration for most people.
Anyone can write "sources have confirmed" without citing said sources.

It's utterly meaningless.

You can make **** up quite easily operating like that.

I'm not saying the sales are less or more over other models I'm simply saying that a slump in sales is really expected by anyone with half a brain right now.

These just seem like filler non-articles, that was rather the point I was making.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Anyone can write "sources have confirmed" without citing said sources.

It's utterly meaningless.

You can make **** up quite easily operating like that.

I'm not saying the sales are less or more over other models I'm simply saying that a slump in sales is really expected by anyone with half a brain right now.

These just seem like filler non-articles, that was rather the point I was making.
Hence why I said 'supposed' sources. You also can't go through life writing off any disclosures from anonymous sources because they won't disclose their name. I've been seeing occasional stories about disappointing iPhone X sales for months already.

Jan:
‘Disappointing’ sales see Apple cutting iPhone X production in half this quarter

Feb:
Disappointing iPhone X sales leaves Samsung searching for OLED buyers

March:
Apple is 'disappointed' with iPhone X sales, so are we

And obviously countless more if you look harder. They can't all be bs. Clearly it's not outrageous to claim that Apple has been disappointed with iPhone X sales.

doctortainment

Good news for us as consumers. That thing is too expensive and gives them a reason to go back to the boardroom and discuss their pricing. Ditching the TouchID was another blunder.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hence why I said 'supposed' sources. You also can't go through life writing off any disclosures from anonymous sources because they won't disclose their name. I've been seeing occasional stories about disappointing iPhone X sales for months already.

Jan:
‘Disappointing’ sales see Apple cutting iPhone X production in half this quarter

Feb:
Disappointing iPhone X sales leaves Samsung searching for OLED buyers

March:
Apple is 'disappointed' with iPhone X sales, so are we

And obviously countless more if you look harder. They can't all be bs. Clearly it's not outrageous to claim that Apple has been disappointed with iPhone X sales.
Except that almost every year you see similarly worded filler it just changes from 5 to 6 to 6S to 7 to X etc.

Meanwhile it's literally just that time of year where it should be absolutely expected by now.

It doesn't really matter who says it (these things all originate in the same place and everyone just regurgitates it to seem relevant) but rather than it's the typical type of slow week filler.

And it doesn't even need to relate to Apple you can see the same crap about Tesla or Samsung or Intel or whoever is the current newsworthy trend that will catch clicks.

Ultimately it's just a piss poor excuse for journalism and I wish EVERYONE would just catch on to the fact that you don't NEED to have something in the news everyday.

Quality over quantity.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Disappointed with taking more than 1/3rd of the profit. Lol.

View attachment 517983
I have to commend you for taking a factual view even though you support the other side for a change.

This is exactly the point I'm making that you'll always see this nonsense (as it relates to Apple) in Q2-Q3 based on their product timeline cycles.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I have to commend you for taking a factual view even though you support the other side for a change.

This is exactly the point I'm making that you'll always see this nonsense (as it relates to Apple) in Q2-Q3 based on their product timeline cycles.
Problem with that graph is that it only has two non-Apple phones. I find it hard to believe that Apple is the only company making profits on phones

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Problem with that graph is that it only has two non-Apple phones. I find it hard to believe that Apple is the only company making profits on phones
I think it's just a listing of the top sellers.

But a link/source would be good.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I read somewhere that Samsung makes more than $100 on every iPhone sold.
Yeah I seem to recall they make more from Apple than selling their own phones.

Or as near as anyway.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
Yeah I seem to recall they make more from Apple than selling their own phones.

Or as near as anyway.
Yeah Samsung are the hardware technology company of extensive R&D and manufacturing. Leaders in SOC processors, flash storage, RAM, display and battery technology. The profitable margins go to those with the better packaging and marketing where along with their own SOC and OS Apple shines.

Samsungs mobile division loses a lot of margin on marketing, licensing and warranty. Components are less affected and more lucrative in volume.