Apple Ipad 2 Upgrade to IOS > 9.3.6

HunterGR

Expert Member
Hi All, I'm not an avid Apple user but I have unearthed an old Ipad 2 that i had bought many moons back while cleaning out during lockdown.
Charged it up, Powered on and decided to start using it for DSTV now etc.
When i use the App store to download the DSTV now app it says that the App is not supported on my device.
After googling around i see that officially you cannot update IOS on it past 9.3.6

Any "unofficial" way to do it? Or do I bin the IPad?

berrypi

try this.. if you have a iphone... download the app on your iphone. Then login (with the iphone account used on your phone) to your old device and it will install the last compatible version of the app you downloaded on your phone. Then logout of your ipad and voila!

I have done this on a ipad mini and ipad 3. installed both netflix and showmax.

Luke7777

Executive Member
try this.. if you have a iphone... download the app on your iphone. Then login (with the iphone account used on your phone) to your old device and it will install the last compatible version of the app you downloaded on your phone. Then logout of your ipad and voila!

I have done this on a ipad mini and ipad 3. installed both netflix and showmax.
Just to clarify, you need to go to AppStore, select Purchased and then search for your app there. This will however not work with DSTV Now, since the version downloaded has expired

HunterGR

Expert Member
Tried all those tricks mentioned. Nothing works anymore. I guess i'll give it to someone as a present.

Thanks everyone

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Tried all those tricks mentioned. Nothing works anymore. I guess i'll give it to someone as a present.

Thanks everyone
mine lives in my caravan that i visit on weekends down by the dam
i use my iPad 2 now just to surf the internet and do my emails seen as my phones screen isnt exactly 9 inches

other useful use is to get a wall mount bracket for it and mount it in kitchen, get it online to internet and use it for recipes when cooking

ItHurtsWhenIP

I have an iPad 3. I used DSTV Now daily on on it until the app version expired and no longer worked. I asked a question to the developers why they didn't leave the last working version available on older devices like how Netflix and many other apps have done so... No response because they probably realized the **** up they made.

I use it mainly for Netflix & Amazon Prime downloads, safari, YouTube and Apple Music

Duke of Hazard

Is this an Apple move to discontinue support like this? My Mom has an iPad 3 that no longer gets banking apps and some of her games, still works a charm and it's in great condition.

Being a pensioner, getting a new iPad isn't really an option right now