stevodurbs

Well if it’s under warranty make them sort out the problem...

This is something I considered, but the problems are:

1. If I take it to Vodacom they want the original invoice, which I don’t have (the original owner immigrated to NZ last week).

2. As the iStore help desk guy pointed out, they’ll be happy to book it in for repairs, but their technicians will try a few SIM cards, find that some work and some don’t and respond with “this is a network/carrier issue, the phone is in perfect working order”

quovadis

Executive Member
IMEI matches on box, in iPhone settings/about and on Vodacom/iStore’s systems. It is a legit SA stock, ICASA approves iPhone 7 Plus

I'm very intrigued then why a Japanese version of a phone would be sold by Vodacom - it was specifically created for that market as it added some payment capabilities etc.

stevodurbs

I'm very intrigued then why a Japanese version of a phone would be sold by Vodacom

Apologies - typo in my previous post and edit has been made. It is model A1784, the international version that was correctly sold in SA.

AEF72526-333B-4A51-AA1E-78CA2DDEF157.jpeg

marioat1

Expert Member
Was the phone purchased outright from network originally or on contract, which has now been terminated?

Dazzla

Without the original invoice you screwed, the phone is probably blacklisted. Your friend most likely defaulted on payments or stopped paying the contract. Happened with me with a samsung local mtn phone of which none of the networks were willing to help me without the original invoice including samsung. I found out the phone was taken out on contract and the person stopped paying and therefore the phone was blacklisted on their networks. I however managed to get my money back from the person I purchased it from.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
Vodacom generally doesn't require the pop. All their stock is in their system. I've never had to provide a pop, ID or any other doc when handing in a phone for repairs.

stevodurbs

Without the original invoice you screwed, the phone is probably blacklisted. Your friend most likely defaulted on payments or stopped paying the contract.

I think you’re right, Dazzla. I didn’t realize my friend’s colleague (who I bought the phone from) was immigrating to NZ. In fact he’s already there now and not responding to my emails.

The only information I could get is that it’s definitely Vodacom stock (thanks iStore), that it’s not stolen and that there’s no fraud marked on the IMEI (there’s apparently a shared database for this).

I've never had to provide a pop, ID or any other doc when handing in a phone for repairs.

Maybe for a phone you own that you yourself took out on contract, but not a phone you bought from someone else.

When I took this thing in they wanted at least a phone number, ID or account number, none of which I have

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
Maybe for a phone you own that you yourself took out on contract, but not a phone you bought from someone else.

When I took this thing in they wanted at least a phone number, ID or account number, none of which I have

Nope. I've owned many second hand phones from Vodacom and Ive never had to provide a pop.

The repair form you fill in requires your name etc so that they contact you once the device has been repaired. Last phone I handed in was about a month ago. A LGV30+. It was not a contract phone and their system picked it up and was repaired under warranty.

airborne

Honorary Master
Vodacom generally doesn't require the pop. All their stock is in their system. I've never had to provide a pop, ID or any other doc when handing in a phone for repairs.
That's also been my experience with Vodacom, Cell C demanded paperwork though and it was a prepaid phone.
I think you’re right, Dazzla. I didn’t realize my friend’s colleague (who I bought the phone from) was immigrating to NZ. In fact he’s already there now and not responding to my emails.

The only information I could get is that it’s definitely Vodacom stock (thanks iStore), that it’s not stolen and that there’s no fraud marked on the IMEI (there’s apparently a shared database for this).

I wonder if that may be because it is a contract phone. But it might just be that branch of Vodacom that are sticky, try booking it in at a few other branches and see what happens.

But I also reckon its blacklisted due to bad debt/not paying contract. Phone Vodacom customer support and ask to be put through to the blacklisting dept or ask for the number and then ask them for the blacklisting status of the phone.

I have had this experience before and eventually I called the Vodacom blacklisting dept and they said it was blacklisted due to bad debt.

kevym9

So, this was never fixed. Cell C only phones will always be around and we'll never know why?

kevym9

apparently apple says if you have ios 14 and above it should tell you if you have any sim restrictions. Therefore, *no sim restrictions* being the text displayed, i'm dumbfounded. Wondering if this will work out this country tho