Apple iPhone Xs vs Samsung Galaxy S9 – Ultimate smartphone showdown

Thor

Honorary Master
Wait until you have the specs before rushing a comparison

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Specs are irrelevant anyway.

The iPhone still wins, because I'm not buying anything else.

kolakidd

The most profound thing about the iPhone launch was the commitment to sustainability by using either recycled elements or elements that move towards no mining extraction for the new iPhones. And a further commitment to developing phones that have a longer life span.

It's the first time I've ever heard a tech company say that they want to build their products in a way that means they will be replaced less often. That's real innovation.

system32

Expert Member
I see no eSIM option on the Samsung.

That alone is enuf to get an Apple.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
A12 going to obliterate the Exynos... and then some...
Definitely, it should be both more/same power efficiency with way higher performance. Apple have always been ahead in mobile CPUs.
I like this video on it:
Summary of the video:
1536864644434.png
https://www.androidauthority.com/why-are-apples-chips-faster-than-qualcomms-gary-explains-802738/
/edit
Also note that the new A12 is on the 7nm node, the Exynos 9810 and the Snapdragon 845/850 is still on 10nm, so definitely should be ahead by quite a margin in the power consumption at the very least. Exact values will be unknown until benchmarks are released.

And like sauronza said, most Apple users don't buy it due to the performance, but rather the ecosystem.

EDIT:

And @Newsfeed those stats are useless.
5.8-inch AMOLED (1,440 x 2,960) 5.8-inch OLED (2,436 x 1,125)
Effective PPI? Two different display types, how do you measure the quality of the actual display? Color accuracy? Lumens?

For the camera, the software plays quite a large role. Quite evident if you look at the Google Camera app actually, use that on the same device like on the Nokia 7.1 Plus, side load it, you'll see the Google Camera app is way better.

RAM also kind of useless, how each OS uses it is different.

Pricing is launch pricing, not the pricing now, you can get an S9 for under R12k at takealot https://www.takealot.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-64gb-black/PLID49128820 while that $999 doesn't include US sales tax, shipping to south africa, our own taxes, mark-up, etc.

And as said before, most who buy an Apple device don't get it due to its specs, they get it because it's an Apple device.

You need to wait for the phone to actually be released before comparing.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
iOS is better.

Nothing to do with sheeple.

FYI I’m not buying any of the new phones. Maybe next year after the new ones launch and these to cheap.
I'm. Just stirring with you... I prefer apple myself just can't justify the price atm

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The most profound thing about the iPhone launch was the commitment to sustainability by using either recycled elements or elements that move towards no mining extraction for the new iPhones. And a further commitment to developing phones that have a longer life span.

It's the first time I've ever heard a tech company say that they want to build their products in a way that means they will be replaced less often. That's real innovation.
Lol like lying again about the 100% renewables?

https://www.thurrott.com/apple/156164/apple-says-runs-100-percent-renewable-energy
“Apple, like Google, is not actually 100 percent powered by clean energy, but it uses the term to signal that it buys enough green energy to offset its global power consumption.,” The Verge clarifies. –Paul

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm. Just stirring with you... I prefer apple myself just can't justify the price atm
I figured as much.

Can’t agree with the price either. Which is why I type this on an iPhone 6.

Still does 90% of what the new phones do.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I figured as much.

Can’t agree with the price either. Which is why I type this on an iPhone 6.

Still does 90% of what the new phones do.
My 6s went the way of the birds :( So I had to downgrade to an Android phone.. must say from a Hardware point of view its pretty damn decent for the price point.. P20 Lite...