Apple is planning to upgrade its AirPods

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I wish Apple would stop skimping on the performance of their products. All their stuff is damn expensive, but this would be much less of an issue if they gave beastly performance for your money. The AirPods sound like garbage, regular EarPods sound even worse, the iMacs and MacBooks start with garbage specs etc. The margins on those products must be insane - ffs Apple just provide fantastic performance for such high prices. It is clearly possible, as we see it with the iPhones and iPads.

Nithan15

Expert Member
Are they coming out with a special adaptor you now need to buy for your ears in order to fit the Airpods better
available at the introductory price of $50.00 :D

crackersa

Honorary Master
I wish Apple would stop skimping on the performance of their products. All their stuff is damn expensive, but this would be much less of an issue if they gave beastly performance for your money. The AirPods sound like garbage, regular EarPods sound even worse, the iMacs and MacBooks start with garbage specs etc. The margins on those products must be insane - ffs Apple just provide fantastic performance for such high prices. It is clearly possible, as we see it with the iPhones and iPads.

how much does apple spend on R&D or marketing or many other departments that support the development of these products?

I'm using a MacBook from 2012, not a single problem with it, upgraded to the latest OS (for free btw). the only thing I can't do with it is stream 4k movies which is expected of a processer that is 5 years old.

biometrics

Honorary Master
I'm using a MacBook from 2012, not a single problem with it, upgraded to the latest OS (for free btw). the only thing I can't do with it is stream 4k movies which is expected of a processer that is 5 years old.
I can say exactly the same about my 2012 Lenovo Thinkpad X230. Oh and upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 is also free.

Madhawk

Honorary Master
Finally, AirPods that will sound like Beats by Dr Dre...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
how much does apple spend on R&D or marketing or many other departments that support the development of these products?

Considering the profits Apple enjoys, I'd say R&D is a drop in the ocean. They could easily afford to provide better value.

My i5-3570K is nearly 6 years old and doesn't just stream 4K video but can play any game on max settings at 1080p (minus Nvidia specific options due to having an AMD HD7990). I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free.

I would buy a 5K iMac without hesitation if the specs were great at the more affordable levels. They're not just not great - they're unacceptably poor. And that's still accounting for the value of the display and general build quality. R25k for an outdated i5 and 1TB HDD - WTF. And how in the hell does bumping the processor (still an i5) and the drive to a (still crap) 2TB Fusion justify R14k extra? The pricing is out of touch with reality. You've got to really, really like Apple to accept the opportunity cost of buying that.

DuCy

The idea for the water-resistant model is for the headphones to survive splashes of water and rain
If my past experience is anything to go by, there is nothing wrong with the current AirPods’ water resistance capabilities. Twice I dropped my AirPods into the pool by mistake, they are still functioning as good as when I bought them. Just improve the sound, battery life and make the stem shorter.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
meh - might get some eventually then

I do spend a ridiculous amount of time with headphones in though...so worried about charge time.

Dolby

Honorary Master
My i5-3570K is nearly 6 years old and doesn't just stream 4K video
I think I have the same processor - can't do 4K?
I'm sure it does YouTube 4K?
Or would a Netflix be different?

You may have saved me money, as I was thinking of a UHD screen ...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

I was saying it does do 4K. "...doesn't merely do X but can also do Y..."

Dave

Honorary Master

I’m quite happy with the sound from the AirPods, the only criticism I have is the battery life isn’t good enough. 5 hours isn’t enough...

airborne

Honorary Master
Considering the profits Apple enjoys, I'd say R&D is a drop in the ocean. They could easily afford to provide better value.

My i5-3570K is nearly 6 years old and doesn't just stream 4K video but can play any game on max settings at 1080p (minus Nvidia specific options due to having an AMD HD7990). I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free.

I would buy a 5K iMac without hesitation if the specs were great at the more affordable levels. They're not just not great - they're unacceptably poor. And that's still accounting for the value of the display and general build quality. R25k for an outdated i5 and 1TB HDD - WTF. And how in the hell does bumping the processor (still an i5) and the drive to a (still crap) 2TB Fusion justify R14k extra? The pricing is out of touch with reality. You've got to really, really like Apple to accept the opportunity cost of buying that.
It's called having your balls in a vice, if you are deeply invested/embedded in using Mac OS you have no other options, just have to suck it up and pay the crazy people prices.

Apple coming in, no lube, bite down hard.

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master

4K = resolution,which is only part of the equation

That can still be a super low bitrate and thus look crap and require limited processing power.