Apple launches major new Racial Equity and Justice Initiative projects to challenge systemic racism, advance racial equity nationwide

surface

Honorary Master
Is it possible that there will be a local boycott of apple now ? :unsure: tbh, IMO, it would be better if they boycott china over uighur muslim treatment.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Is it possible that there will be a local boycott of apple now ? :unsure: tbh, IMO, it would be better if they boycott china over uighur muslim treatment.

Why, it is a nationwide program applicable to the USA?

They won't boycott China, OT, but recent,

Uncle Roger comedian deletes video with China critic​

Comedian Nigel Ng has deleted a video and apologised to his fans after featuring a Youtuber who has criticised the Chinese government.

Nigel Ng has three million subscribers on Youtube where he plays the character Uncle Roger and gives a running commentary to Asian recipe videos.

On Tuesday, Mr Ng apologised on Chinese social media for including Mike Chen, a popular Youtuber, in one of his videos.

Mr Chen has previously spoken out about the treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang.

The criticism came through Twitter users, which is ironic, since Twitter is blocked in China. Though Nigel Ng is one person, I have generally seen people and other entities wanting to stay on China's good side. Likewise with slavery on this continent, it is there, but where is the criticism? Blurred lines and all that.

Generally I think Apple is on the right track, in the USA, as long as they manage to uphold their human rights record, and they have recently published a new human rights policy.

abzob

Honorary Master
Why, it is a nationwide program applicable to the USA?

They won't boycott China, OT, but recent,

The criticism came through Twitter users, which is ironic, since Twitter is blocked in China. Though Nigel Ng is one person, I have generally seen people and other entities wanting to stay on China's good side. Likewise with slavery on this continent, it is there, but where is the criticism? Blurred lines and all that.

Generally I think Apple is on the right track, in the USA, as long as they manage to uphold their human rights record, and they have recently published a new human rights policy.

I’m surprised Nigel Ng hasn’t been accused of racism yet. He should be.

Not to mention that he’s a hack. Yeah, sure, his videos are “funny” but he was an unknown comedian until he created a stereotypical character.

Stephen

Expert Member
Oh god the right wingers are going to blow a gasket, probably put some extra starch in their bedsheets. Expect some edgy and profound tweets to be posted :sick:

Vorastra

Expert Member
It is an inclusiveness program. Basically the Apple initiative is to support The Propel Center as a key partner,

There is a need to give opportunity to minority groups.
How about we help people based on their merit and not their skin colour.

"Inclusiveness" program. There's another one of those buzzwords again.

Vorastra

Expert Member
Oh god the right wingers are going to blow a gasket, probably put some extra starch in their bedsheets. Expect some edgy and profound tweets to be posted :sick:
Pointing out racism is always edgy and profound.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I’m surprised Nigel Ng hasn’t been accused of racism yet. He should be.

Not to mention that he’s a hack. Yeah, sure, his videos are “funny” but he was an unknown comedian until he created a stereotypical character.

He is largely unknown, it is only the Asian (Singapore/Malaysia) and UK market where he has been largely exposed to his content, and he only made it as a stand-up comedian when he won some comedy show in the UK some time ago. He is young and rough, but he had some presence in the UK prior to his YouTube channel gaining attention. You know how it is with comedians, they all have disclaimers, but do we really want to mute comedy? I don't.

His stereotyping comes nowhere close to some American comedians.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
How about we help people based on their merit and not their skin colour.

"Inclusiveness" program. There's another one of those buzzwords again.

The Propel Centre was established to assist minority groups with education, and possible employment opportunity or experience opportunities.

I don't see where merit is a requirement when it comes to active schooling?

Vorastra

Expert Member
The Propel Centre was established to assist minority groups with education, and possible employment opportunity or experience opportunities.

I don't see where merit is a requirement when it comes to active schooling?
I'm not talking about the Propel Centre, you are. I'm talking about Apple. The Propel Centre is but one facet of this scheme.
Read the article.

abzob

Honorary Master
He is largely unknown, it is only the Asian (Singapore/Malaysia) and UK market where he has been largely exposed to his content, and he only made it as a stand-up comedian when he won some comedy show in the UK some time ago. He is young and rough, but he had some presence in the UK prior to his YouTube channel gaining attention. You know how it is with comedians, they all have disclaimers, but do we really want to mute comedy? I don't.

His stereotyping comes nowhere close to some American comedians.

For me it’s that these comedians who rely on characters and accents generally use it as a crutch, imagine Uncle Roger without the accent, would he still really be that funny? Are we laughing at what he’s saying as much as at the way he’s saying it? Local comedians do it too where they put on an exaggerated “black” or “Afrikaans” accent, it happens all over. But anyway that’s just personal preference.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I'm not talking about the Propel Centre, you are. I'm talking about Apple. The Propel Centre is but one facet of this scheme.
Read the article.

Okay, let's break it down,

These forward-looking and comprehensive efforts include the

1) Propel Center, a first-of-its-kind global innovation and learning hub for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs);
2) an Apple Developer Academy to support coding and tech education for students in Detroit; and
3) venture capital funding for Black and Brown entrepreneurs.

Together, Apple’s REJI commitments aim to expand opportunities for communities of color across the country and to help build the next generation of diverse leaders.

To elaborate on three, quoting their public press release,

Empowering Entrepreneurs Through New Funding Partnerships

To address systemic barriers to access and funding faced by Black and Brown entrepreneurs, Apple is today announcing two new investments in the venture capital and banking spaces, with both projects designed to provide capital to minority-owned businesses. The company will invest $10 million with Harlem Capital — an early-stage venture capital firm based in New York — to support its investments in 1,000 companies with diverse founders over the next 20 years. In addition to providing capital to entrepreneurs of color, Harlem Capital will also lend its expertise to Apple’s broader efforts to advance access to economic opportunity. The firm will offer guidance and mentorship to students at the Detroit Developer Academy and participants in Apple’s Entrepreneur Camp for Black Founders and Developers. Apple will also support Harlem Capital’s internship program, focused on opening doors for aspiring women and minority investors.

The company will also invest $25 million in Siebert Williams Shank’s Clear Vision Impact Fund, which provides capital to small and medium-size businesses, with an emphasis on minority-owned companies. The fund looks to support businesses that operate in or serve underserved markets, and that foster inclusive growth initiatives.

so you are welcome to point out the racism? Prior to answering this question, do note that Apple have invested $100B into the Vision Fund II.