Apple MacBook pricing for South Africa emerges

daffy

Expert Member
At first, after reading the headline, I thought "Hey, MyBB have stopped using 'revealed' all the time".
Then I read the first line of the article.

Jan

Drifting in the black
At first, after reading the headline, I thought "Hey, MyBB have stopped using 'revealed' all the time".
Then I read the first line of the article.
You're just reading the wrong articles ;-)

Roadrunner

Expert Member
Ha-Ha!

Getting a MBP from the US soon for much less than these crazy SA prices.

Although the R/$ rate does play a factor, it is used as an excuse to inflate the prices even more.

You can clearly see that from previous cycles where the Rand recovered substantially, but the SA retailers still sold the units at the old prices - including new stock that was purchased at the lower prices.

Last edited:

Jan

Drifting in the black
but the SA retailers still sell stock at the old prices - including new stock that was purchased at the lower prices.
In the case of Apple products, Core always cites the fact that they take out forward cover as the reason prices don't come down immediately if the Rand strengthens.

Last year RJ van Spaandonk said it worked in their favour as they were able to keep iPad 2 prices relatively steady even though the Rand tanked.

That said, we do seem to pay comparatively high prices on high-end tech. Is it an issue of economies of scale combined with customs and taxes, or are we just being taken for all we've got? If anyone would like to "leak" me cost prices of their favourite tech I'd definitely look into it ;)

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
In the case of Apple products, Core always cites the fact that they take out forward cover as the reason prices don't come down immediately if the Rand strengthens.

Last year RJ van Spaandonk said it worked in their favour as they were able to keep iPad 2 prices relatively steady even though the Rand tanked.

That said, we do seem to pay comparatively high prices on high-end tech. Is it an issue of economies of scale combined with customs and taxes, or are we just being taken for all we've got? If anyone would like to "leak" me cost prices of their favourite tech I'd definitely look into it ;)
The number of times their hedging has helped their costs is pathetic. They'd have more success putting the money on the roulette table. I'm opposed to hedging everything - picking and choosing when to hedge could be seen as gambling with company funds, but if you end up with a net gain, I'm sure shareholders would forgive you.

The other problem I have, is loosely calling all import costs "customs and taxes". There is no customs duty on computers. VAT is charged at 15.4%. End of story. As a news source, MyBB should be verifying whether statements blaming "customs and transport" are accurate. As a base, use MyUS fees (R100/kg), and assume that a company who's entire business relies on imports, is paying less.

Jan

Drifting in the black
The other problem I have, is loosely calling all import costs "customs and taxes". There is no customs duty on computers. VAT is charged at 15.4%. End of story.
The article doesn't mention customs, taxes, or import duties at all. Not commenting here as a news source, but point taken oh pedantic one.

I've been told by distributors (and individual importers) that whether you get slapped with import duties is dependent on the customs officer you get.

If you then feel the duties were levied incorrectly you have to seek recourse.

Incidentally, this is something Core did last year for their iPad 2 imports. They claim to have used the money they got back on corporate social responsibility projects.

ChocolateBadger

Expert Member
It is not a laptop. It is an Apple MacBook Pro. Never ever make this mistake again. Steve can still correct these misconceptions, do not provoke him.
I'm sorry, R20 000 for a silver piece of plastic and metal that resembles a laptop and does the same as a laptop YOU MUST BE MAD!!

kilobits

Executive Member
I'm sorry, R20 000 for a silver piece of plastic and metal that resembles a laptop and does the same as a laptop YOU MUST BE MAD!!
Samsung, Asus, HP and Acer agree... Apart from the "Retina" resolution, thunderbolt Ports and proprietary SSD, it is just an ultrabook really... It even looks like the ultrabooks available now...

There is a market for this, and it will sell. Do not doubt that.

Eish if anything breaks out of warranty tho.

ChocolateBadger

Expert Member
Samsung, Asus, HP and Acer agree... Apart from the "Retina" resolution, thunderbolt Ports and proprietary SSD, it is just an ultrabook really... It even looks like the ultrabooks available now...

There is a market for this, and it will sell. Do not doubt that.

Eish if anything breaks out of warranty tho.
Actually Ultra book is a better term.

Le^stat

I am gonna be eating peanut butter and jam sarmies for a year after this purchase...

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I'm gonna have to buy a Macbook Air 13 inch for my business at some point - my first Apple product ever.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
The article doesn't mention customs, taxes, or import duties at all. Not commenting here as a news source, but point taken oh pedantic one.

I've been told by distributors (and individual importers) that whether you get slapped with import duties is dependent on the customs officer you get.

If you then feel the duties were levied incorrectly you have to seek recourse.

Incidentally, this is something Core did last year for their iPad 2 imports. They claim to have used the money they got back on corporate social responsibility projects.
Yeah, it's pedantic, but one gives the impression of "There are probably a dozen taxes; I guess that accounts for the 90% price increase." while the truth is closer to "well, it's 15.4% tax; where's the rest of my cash going?" Although obviously not my cash.