Apple MacBook Pro with Core i9 getting throttled due to heat issues

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
This s**t is infuriating. Pretty big reason not to get one of these now.

If only our local distributors carried Razer laptops. Damnit I want the new Blade so badly.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Nice going Apple... you'd think they could have tested it beforehand and implemented a better heatsink. So that makes the i9 Pro a waste of money.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would like to see more than one example of this happening before putting all my faith into the statement of one Youtuber and publishing it on my website as fact...

genetic

Honorary Master
Every time Apple does something stupid to make something look better I'm reminded of this:

Apple, Why?
But before I go into this, let me explain the engineering of a power cable. If you look at a power adapter cable for any non-Apple product, you'll notice some plastic "rings" where the plug transitions to the cable. These rings are called a strain relief.
Now it just so happens that the Industrial Design department HATES how a strain relief looks on a power adapter. They would much prefer to have a nice clean transition between the cable and the plug. Aesthetically, this does look nicer, but from an engineering point of view, it's pretty much committing reliability suicide. Because there is no strain relief, the cables fail at a very high rate because they get bent at very harsh angles.
If I look at all my Apple power adapters, they all have strain relief.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If I look at all my Apple power adapters, they all have strain relief.
The main moan is that it's not the conventional strain relief using multiple rings.

In most cases where I've seen these cables fail is because people pull them out using the cord so they pull out of the connector, instead of using the connector itself.

Not sure old school strain relief would make much difference there.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Still, it's strain relief and works pretty well if you don't abuse the connector. Standard strain relief fails too if misused.
Yup I agree completely.

I've never had an original cable fail that I bought brand new. I've only ever had a power supply cable fail after someone else owned it.