Apple, Microsoft, Adobe must explain high prices to Aussie parliament

cerebus

Honorary Master
It's true, Aussies pay an exorbitant amount for electronics.

sox63

Executive Member
This made me laugh...
“While they generated A$6 billion in revenue, they apparently racked up from what I understand A$5.5 billion in costs. How?” Husic said. “They do not manufacture here. They have no factories here.”

Sounds very tax evasion type if true...

Ianf1

Expert Member
Would our parliament do the same thing as our prices are also higher than the US.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
On the one hand I'd be happy to see cheaper prices on the other I don't see what business it is of the Australian government to dictate to foreign companies (or local ones) at what price they must sell their products. No-one is forced to buy Office or Apple gear. People should buy it if they can afford it, and if not, don't buy and Apple/MS will probably reduce the prices the way the movie industry releases cheaper R5 DVD versions of R1/R2 DVD movies for the lower income market.

And frankly seeing the Discovery/History Channel Australian Customs shows where Aussie customs act like totally unreasonable racist/elitist jerks to ordinary foreign people - usually non-whites, I must say thank you Apple, Adobe and MS for letting the Australians enjoy elitist prices. :)

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Adobe is in my opinion the worst when it comes to exploiting us. How can Photoshop and Illustrator after so many years still be so unaffordable? The code gets tweaked and a few thing added and then we have to upgrade again at ridiculous prices. This is one lot that needs to get a shock. I wish Corel Draw was available for Mac. With Corel vector and raster software are included as one package at a price lower than a single Adobe software package.

murray654

I remember when a cd recorder was selling for fifty aussie dolars and the cheapest one here was R600. At the time it was R5 to the aussie dollar, so we were paying more than double for a cd recorder. About 10 years ago there was a nice discount if you purchased from the aussie symantec store compared to the africa/middle east store. Didnt hear any aussies whinging back then.

Last edited:

Joe Average

Simpler little Economic fact: DEMAND and SUPPLY controls PRICE

Nobody is forcing the Australians (or SA for that matter) to buy these products.

R13...

Honorary Master
Can't help but wonder what the comments would look like if this were the SA government asking those companies;)

Valerion

Expert Member
Simpler little Economic fact: DEMAND and SUPPLY controls PRICE

Nobody is forcing the Australians (or SA for that matter) to buy these products.

Aren't they? We have a very large international customer. They ONLY want to see documents in MS Word format. Since they can then edit it and send it back to us. As a company using Linux widely it is quite inconvenient for us.

Sure, we can not use MS Word. And not get the business, and I won't have a job. Sure.

Byrd

“While they generated A$6 billion in revenue, they apparently racked up from what I understand A$5.5 billion in costs. How?” Husic said. “They do not manufacture here. They have no factories here.”

What a stupid comment. Apple must be truly magical, manufacturing products with no factories. Their costs are in their purchases! Stupid Stupid Stupid

I guess with a BA in Applied Communications he isnt going to know much about anything related.

b@nD

Banned
Gordon Gekko

What a stupid comment. Apple must be truly magical, manufacturing products with no factories. Their costs are in their purchases! Stupid Stupid Stupid

I guess with a BA in Applied Communications he isnt going to know much about anything related.
He NEVER said they do not have factories
He DID say they do not have factories HERE

GDP vs GNP He is quite correct about taxing them !

These big corporate companies are a law unto themselves ( they can always buy Gordon Gekko's )

cerebus

Honorary Master
I see Adobe pushed the prices of their Aussie products down by 20%. So there's fire where there's smoke :D

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I see Adobe pushed the prices of their Aussie products down by 20%. So there's fire where there's smoke :D

Adobe are milking those in the creative industry dry. Guys like me that does design work on the side cannot afford Adobe products. Corel Draw is good and much much cheaper but not available on Mac so one is forced to use Windows just because Adobe is so damn greedy.

marine1

Honorary Master
Can't help but wonder what the comments would look like if this were the SA government asking those companies;)

They wouldn't , some ANC comrade would be greasing his / her palms. We get ripped off here and nothing ever happens.
:rolleyes:
Take Eskom for example, Telkom, sanral, water dept. Should I go on?