Apple Music hired me

zulucat

Expert Member
I'm so stoked! I recently got a message via my LinkedIn profile from an agent who works with Apple. At first I thought it was a hoax or scam, but I quickly did some research and she turned out to be legit. She found me because on my profile I mentioned that I worked for a company in Canada many years ago which was doing Google translations for Zulu language.

Long story short, Apple are busy with transcribing lyrics for Zulu and Xhosa songs in South Africa for their Apple Music App and I happen to understand, speak and write both languages fluently (mom is Xhosa, father is Zulu). Users who choose to see the lyrics as the song plays are able to do so and sing along or whatever they wanna do lol. I wrote a series of tests to prove my knowledge of the subjects and also a general computer competency test.

I think with the advent of other popular music apps, Apple music are in the process of getting that leg up over their competition and they have a host of other languages they are transcribing, i noticed this on their transcription software because when you log in you have to choose your language.

It's so good to have some additional income while at the same time contributing to such an awesome cause... the pay is good but not astronomical lol.. I'm just glad I'm getting more experience here and hopefully it opens up more opportunities in future

zulucat

Expert Member
It's tedious work at times because you have to rewind and fast forward the song many times to hear what they are saying and transcribe it, but its doable

zulucat

Expert Member
Thanks guys, it's a lot of songs and they have very strict QC process, if you miss just one word in the lyrics they can detect it and send the song back to you to fix ...

MightyQuin

Not amused...
It's tedious work at times because you have to rewind and fast forward the song many times to hear what they are saying and transcribe it, but its doable
Isn't there an app for doing exactly that? Just wondering?

zulucat

Expert Member
Isn't there an app for doing exactly that? Just wondering?

We do use the software, the song that you have to transcribe is uploaded to the software and you get a notification via email to say there are new tasks, but you still need to toggle the fast-forward and rewind a few times to hear the lyrics.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Congrats, must be some kind of dream gig.

I applied to Spotify some years ago and man I was so keen on that but alas.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
We do use the software, the song that you have to transcribe is uploaded to the software and you get a notification via email to say there are new tasks, but you still need to toggle the fast-forward and rewind a few times to hear the lyrics.
I meant an App that "listens" to the lyrics and then transcribes it to text...

zulucat

Expert Member
I meant an App that "listens" to the lyrics and then transcribes it to text...

Yes, for the English language you're right. But for many other languages it can't decipher the words and I think with this project they are teaching it to learn many different other languages so that it can also listen and transcribe them. Speech to text works very well if it's in an internationally recognized language like French, English or Spanish...